Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3152 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2021, 06:05 AM   #586
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My wife got her second shot yesterday; I am already “fully vaccinated”, a result of my being somewhat older.
I promised her I would look at barber shops; the ones in our neighborhood have not been taking reservations,
and I was unwilling to sit around waiting my turn, so I haven’t been ‘sheared’ in a year now.

I hear the US committee has raised issues about the Astra-Zeneca vaccine, which apparently will be sold on export.

03-23-2021, 06:49 AM   #587
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I worry about the numbers coming out of poorer countries. Colombia has run 12 million tests while Venezuela has run 3 million. It makes you question if there are adequate testing programs in place to identify COVID patients -- both in terms of infections and deaths.

Ecuador was running out of coffins in the major cities last spring due to COVID deaths and yet, their official death toll from COVID is 16,000.

I have a strong feeling that the official death toll from COVID in many countries is far less than the actual death toll.
The best way to establish numbers is to compare with previous years, especially for less developed countries where medical coverage may be more sketchy. By that measure in first world countries the numbers are about 30% higher than the official ones I think. In undeveloped countries, and countries who don't want to admit the numbers, I imagine it's much, much more.

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
I remember seeing Asian tourists in London wearing face masks years ago and thinking how ridiculous it seemed. How times change.
I remember when I thought they were paranoid about catching something when in fact it was that they were ill and didn't want to pass anything to others.
03-23-2021, 07:15 AM   #588
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
COVID definitely isn't gone. I had thought that numbers in the US would really drop, but we have seen new cases plateau around 50,000 a day. My fear is that a lot of what has dropped cases was the fact that people just weren't getting together or traveling as much since the holidays are over. Now, with Spring Break here, we could see a spike up in cases again.

I guess Florida and Texas are open for Spring Break? Covid-19: Miami Beach imposes emergency curfew over spring break 'chaos' - BBC News My mother lives just north of Fort Lauderdale and my understanding is that even though the governor doesn't have state wide COVID restrictions, Miami-Dade and Broward Counties do have curfews and mask policies in place.
I follow the daily case count in our state pretty regularly and the case count for our state has been dropping steadily, yesterday the new cases were 95 with 0 deaths. There have been over 1 million inoculations given, I'm not certain of the amount of second doses though. So roughly a bit over one third of the state's population have received at least one shot.
03-23-2021, 07:29 AM   #589
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Just read that covid testing is down

If true this could lead to asymptomatic individuals to remain undetected and lower numbers of injected individuals

03-23-2021, 09:07 AM   #590
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On going side effect of the mRNA vaccines

A side effect of both of the MRNA vaccines that seem to be cropping up, not sure why its not of statistical significance, is Vertigo or sometimes dizziness. The night after my second dose I woke during the night for a trip to the bath room and before I actually was on my feet I fell back into bed uncontrollably with what I could see in the room spinning wildly. I finally made it up and finished what I set out to do but this was the first time I had experienced this except once when flying IFR in the helicopter I was piloting, I had to visually concentrate on the flight instruments and believe them instead what I was feeling.

The day after my vertigo episode I determined that the problem was in my left posterior vestibular canal and possibly the longitudinal canal so I did the Epley, Foster and the Gufoni maneuvers to get the dislodged crystals back in place. Since the vertigo episode 26 days have passed, I have experienced periods of "dizziness" which last from all day down to periods of a few minutes.

Since vertigo and dizziness aren't reported by Pfizer nor Moderna as possible side effects, episodes of Vertigo or dizziness may not be on the "radar" of most people receiving the vaccines but for older people, in my opinion, it is significant and they should be made aware of the possibility of falls. Oddly, VAERS says there have been up to 16% or so reports of "dizziness" and .80% reports of Vertigo. So if you are a senior citizen be aware of the possibility of falls and take the necessary precautions.
03-23-2021, 09:47 AM   #591

I had my second Moderna shot last Friday (19th). No noticeable side effects. My personal physician said he's only seeing about 10% of people showing side effects after the 2nd shot.

California has a 15 min mandatory waiting/observation period after receiving the shot.
03-23-2021, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #592
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I had my second Moderna shot last Friday (19th). No noticeable side effects. My personal physician said he's only seeing about 10% of people showing side effects after the 2nd shot.

California has a 15 min mandatory waiting/observation period after receiving the shot.
I had no side effects for either shot immediately after the inoculation, our state has a 15 minute wait period. What I've read is that several hours to days later some side effects start to show and that it may be an immune response.

03-23-2021, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #593
Veteran Member

The province opened up AstraZenaca to more people (over 65 group now included) so I took Mrs Eddie in for her first shot this AM. so far she has no side effects like I had - Edit apparently she is Tired and has a slight headache, but that may be down to not enough sleep, Today was the earliest she has been up and about since probably september

Last edited by eddie1960; 03-23-2021 at 12:34 PM.
03-23-2021, 11:26 AM   #594
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
A side effect of both of the MRNA vaccines that seem to be cropping up, not sure why its not of statistical significance, is Vertigo or sometimes dizziness. The night after my second dose I woke during the night for a trip to the bath room and before I actually was on my feet I fell back into bed uncontrollably with what I could see in the room spinning wildly. I finally made it up and finished what I set out to do but this was the first time I had experienced this except once when flying IFR in the helicopter I was piloting, I had to visually concentrate on the flight instruments and believe them instead what I was feeling.

The day after my vertigo episode I determined that the problem was in my left posterior vestibular canal and possibly the longitudinal canal so I did the Epley, Foster and the Gufoni maneuvers to get the dislodged crystals back in place. Since the vertigo episode 26 days have passed, I have experienced periods of "dizziness" which last from all day down to periods of a few minutes.

Since vertigo and dizziness aren't reported by Pfizer nor Moderna as possible side effects, episodes of Vertigo or dizziness may not be on the "radar" of most people receiving the vaccines but for older people, in my opinion, it is significant and they should be made aware of the possibility of falls. Oddly, VAERS says there have been up to 16% or so reports of "dizziness" and .80% reports of Vertigo. So if you are a senior citizen be aware of the possibility of falls and take the necessary precautions.
I'm glad it's not just me. I'm 26 years old and I had my first dose on Saturday and noticed short episodes of dizziness and light headedness. I was confused cause I didn't see it as a possible symptom.

No vertigo though, thankfully.
03-23-2021, 11:31 AM   #595
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

24 hrs plus after first Pfizer vaccine

no side effects yet

second shot scheduled April 13 at 08:45
03-23-2021, 12:44 PM   #596

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I had no side effects for either shot immediately after the inoculation, our state has a 15 minute wait period.
The 15 min observation period is for allergic reactions which in the case of anaphylaxis (acute reaction) can be fatal if not treated in time.
03-23-2021, 01:37 PM   #597
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
24 hrs plus after first Pfizer vaccine

no side effects yet

second shot scheduled April 13 at 08:45
No side effects at all with Pfizer after my first dose, my problems all came after my second dose and they are still going on 26 days out. Not everyone will have side effects, obviously, and they will probably all be different and manifest themselves in many different ways with different people. Good luck.
03-23-2021, 01:43 PM   #598
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The 15 min observation period is for allergic reactions which in the case of anaphylaxis (acute reaction) can be fatal if not treated in time.
I should have written also. after the wait period statement. I didn't mean to confuse you regarding my side effects statement.
03-23-2021, 02:33 PM   #599
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I'm glad it's not just me. I'm 26 years old and I had my first dose on Saturday and noticed short episodes of dizziness and light headedness. I was confused cause I didn't see it as a possible symptom.

No vertigo though, thankfully.
It's definitely not just you, hopefully the problem will slowly go away. Good Luck!!
03-23-2021, 02:34 PM   #600
Pentaxian

A "warning" - fake "CDC vaccination cards"! COVID-19 vaccination cards are dangerously easy to fake ? what you need to know | Tom's Guide
Closed Thread