Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3152 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2021, 04:14 AM   #616
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Isn't the second Pfizer shot supposed to to given three weeks after the first one? That's certainly the aim with Australia's program.

It's different with the AstraZeneca vaccine....
currently here in Kansas we are now in Phase 3 and 4 [ of 5 ] if vaccine is available

QuoteQuote:
Today, Governor Laura Kelly announced the state will move to Phase 3 and 4 of Kansas’ COVID-19 vaccination plan on March 22, 2021. With this move, individuals between ages 16 and 64 with a preexisting medical condition and other non-healthcare workers in critical infrastructure will be eligible for vaccination.
Governor Laura Kelly Announces Kansas Will Move To Phase 3 and 4 of COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution - Governor of the State of Kansas

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-24-2021 at 04:20 AM.
03-24-2021, 05:50 AM   #617
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
We have been open to all for the past two weeks.
03-24-2021, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #618
Veteran Member

My wife and I got our first shot yesterday of Pfizer, next shot schedules on July 13.. Sore arm , that it. No wait , got in 6h48 , out at 7h10 including 15 minutes wait times after.
03-24-2021, 08:55 AM   #619
Pentaxian

I got my second Pfizer shot about 3 hours ago. So far, so good. Arm is a tiny bit sore and I'm feeling somewhat tired but I didn't sleep all that great last night. I was supposed to be working today but I called off. I don't want to be a 45 minute drive away if I start feeling really crappy and my work can sometimes get physical and I'm not doing much at home.

03-24-2021, 03:24 PM - 2 Likes   #620
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
My wife and I got our first shot yesterday of Pfizer, next shot schedules on July 13.. Sore arm , that it. No wait , got in 6h48 , out at 7h10 including 15 minutes wait times after.
That wait time would drive me crazy. I got my first dose of Moderna today and my next shot is exactly 28 days later. So far some injection site soreness, about like shoveling a lot of snow, no big deal. This was a state-organized mass event. I signed up maybe 6-7 weeks ago with my "health care provider" and I'm still #35,000 in line there, can't seem to cancel that. I have to take my name off five other lists too.

My plan is to assume full immunity on 5/5, wear a mask anyway and ignore all doom and gloom about mutations until there's proof one way or the other.
03-24-2021, 03:40 PM   #621
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
. . . wear a mask anyway . . .
since all of these vaccines are " approved for emergency use only " -

QuoteQuote:
" The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID 19 is a vaccine and may prevent you from getting COVID-19. There is no U. S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved vaccine to prevent COVID 19. "
from the paper work provided to me before I consented to taking the Pfizer shot

I, too, plan on keeping the masks on even after my second Pfizer shot until the FDA approves it as a proven vaccine

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-24-2021 at 03:47 PM.
03-24-2021, 07:25 PM   #622
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
That wait time would drive me crazy.
The place I went to had a person with a tablet making appointments for the second shot during the wait period for the first shot.

I also had my smart phone with me and notified my family. By the time I had told them, read my email, and read posts here, I had spent over 15 minutes already.

03-25-2021, 02:43 AM   #623
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
since all of these vaccines are " approved for emergency use only " -

from the paper work provided to me before I consented to taking the Pfizer shot

I, too, plan on keeping the masks on even after my second Pfizer shot until the FDA approves it as a proven vaccine

Let's be careful out there - YouTube
True. The data coming out of Israel looks really good -- 95 percent effective or a bit better than that. There still will be a few cases -- symptomatic and without symptoms. Minnesota recently reported 89 people getting COVID after getting vaccinated -- since they have fully vaccinated over 800,000 people that is a tiny percent. The good news is that none of these individuals seemed to have severe cases (most were asymptomatic). Minnesota reports 89 COVID-19 cases in vaccinated individuals
03-25-2021, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #624
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
My wife and I got our first shot yesterday of Pfizer, next shot schedules on July 13..
Might want to check on that 2nd shot date. AFAIK the wait between shots for Pfizer is ideally only 2 weeks.

edit, never mind, eddie1960 cleared it up for me in the next post.

Last edited by robtcorl; 03-25-2021 at 08:20 AM.
03-25-2021, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #625
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Might want to check on that 2nd shot date. AFAIK the wait between shots for Pfizer is ideally only 2 weeks.
not a choice here, because our vaccine supply is so low. the Government is now recommending a 4-month wait so we can get as many given a first jab as possible. Our primary Vaccine sources are India for Astro Zenaca (and some coming from the US thanks Mr. Biden) and Europe for Moderna and Pfizer. India may be headed for reducing Exports to use at home since they are having a huge spike, Europe is looking at the same move. We have no manufacturing in Canada for Vaccines (despite having a long history of developing them things started taking turns for the worse in the 90s)

it's not a quick fix - and I won't get into the politics of it (I don't want a vacation, I remember the P&R section )

'We took our eye off the ball': How Canada lost its vaccine production capacity | CTV News
03-25-2021, 11:28 AM   #626
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote

edit, never mind, eddie1960 cleared it up for me in the next post.
Robert, that might be a bit short for the Pfizer vaccine. According to the Pfizer hand out the shortest time period between shots for the Pfizer is 21 days not two weeks. Moderna is 28 days. I've read that a slightly longer period between shots is somewhat more effective than shorter periods of time.

Again according to the Pfizer hand out "The second dose should be administered as close to the recommended interval as possible. The vaccine can be given up to four days in advance of the recommended interval if a patient presents early and you are concerned they will not return at the appropriate interval for vaccination. However, there is no maximum interval between the first dose and second dose for either vaccine, The series does not need to be restarted".
03-25-2021, 03:29 PM - 2 Likes   #627
Veteran Member

I got round one of Pfizer today. Minor arm soreness otherwise it was a pretty easy shot. Next ones scheduled for 22 days out. I live in the south of USA so glad to be getting this now as Mask use will plummet after the 6th of April when they lift the State mandate.
03-25-2021, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #628
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was wondering how long it took for the first shot to start giving some immunity. Pfizer has some data on this in a New England Journal of Medicine article from 12/30/20, look for figure 3 a ways down:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2034577

There's a chart with a blue line for placebo recipients showing a constant increase in infections. But at about 10-11 days, the red line of vaccine recipients starts to diverge and level off - vaccine recipients aren't getting infected.
03-26-2021, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #629
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Robert, that might be a bit short for the Pfizer vaccine. According to the Pfizer hand out the shortest time period between shots for the Pfizer is 21 days not two weeks. Moderna is 28 days. I've read that a slightly longer period between shots is somewhat more effective than shorter periods of time.

Again according to the Pfizer hand out "The second dose should be administered as close to the recommended interval as possible. The vaccine can be given up to four days in advance of the recommended interval if a patient presents early and you are concerned they will not return at the appropriate interval for vaccination. However, there is no maximum interval between the first dose and second dose for either vaccine, The series does not need to be restarted".
The data out of Israel seems to indicate that Pfizer's vaccine is 75 percent effective two weeks after the first dose. DEFINE_ME I assume Moderna's vaccine is probably similar, but I don't think there is data on that. It probably makes sense if vaccine is in short supply to space out the first and second shots to try to get more people immunized. Eventually you do need to give the booster or that immunity will wane, but as you say, you never restart the series even if you would go five or six months between shots.

I do think the reason that Pfizer and Moderna went with such a short space between their vaccine doses in the trials was not because they thought that was ideal, but because they wanted to complete the trials ASAP. It worked, but probably spacing them out a bit isn't harmful and might lead to fewer side effects from the second dose.

(The CDC is very conservative and will only recommend what was tested in the trials so we'll be going with that for now in the US).
03-26-2021, 03:32 AM   #630
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just got mine, Pfizer. So far only some arm stiffness. Dose two already scheduled. Things really picked up in the last two weeks in the mid-Atlantic area of the US. Hopefully most will get it so we can get back to some type of new normal.
Closed Thread