Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3152 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2021, 05:45 AM   #631
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Robert, that might be a bit short for the Pfizer vaccine. According to the Pfizer hand out the shortest time period between shots for the Pfizer is 21 days not two weeks.
My mistake, I should have said 3 weeks. Three weeks was the time period for my wife and I with the Pfizer.

03-26-2021, 06:55 AM   #632
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The data out of Israel seems to indicate that Pfizer's vaccine is 75 percent effective two weeks after the first dose. DEFINE_ME I assume Moderna's vaccine is probably similar, but I don't think there is data on that. It probably makes sense if vaccine is in short supply to space out the first and second shots to try to get more people immunized. Eventually you do need to give the booster or that immunity will wane, but as you say, you never restart the series even if you would go five or six months between shots.

I do think the reason that Pfizer and Moderna went with such a short space between their vaccine doses in the trials was not because they thought that was ideal, but because they wanted to complete the trials ASAP. It worked, but probably spacing them out a bit isn't harmful and might lead to fewer side effects from the second dose.

(The CDC is very conservative and will only recommend what was tested in the trials so we'll be going with that for now in the US).
It may well turn out that boosters every x years or months are also beneficial but by the time we know we'll doubtless be in a different situation regarding different strains. Time will tell, the important thing now is to vaccinate as many as possible to drive down deaths, and that will also drive down the emergence of new strains.
03-26-2021, 07:48 AM   #633
Pentaxian

Just had my second jab,quite a bit earlier than the scheduled May 5th.

My wife works as a vaccinator in an outreach centre for the homeless and if there are unused doses at the end of a shift the coordinator is allowed to call in family etc of staff.

Now waiting for the reaction to set in,the first jab gave me a bout of man-flu for 36 hours!

Edit.18 hours later and no reaction other than a slightly aching arm.

Last edited by timb64; 03-27-2021 at 01:47 AM.
03-26-2021, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #634
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
news about one dose of Pfizer vaccine

QuoteQuote:
UK study finds strong immune responses from one dose of Pfizer COVID-19 shot

LONDON (Reuters) - One dose of Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine offers an immune response similar to that generated by infection and could also offer protection from variants to people who have previously had the virus, a British study said on Friday.

Britain in December opted to extend the gap between doses in its vaccine rollout to up to 12 weeks, with officials saying they were confident in their analysis that initial doses of Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines generated some protection.

The study, led by Sheffield and Oxford Universities with support from the UK Coronavirus Immunology Consortium, and released as a pre-print on Friday, found 99% of people generate strong immune responses after one dose of the Pfizer-Biontech vaccine.. . ,
UK study finds strong immune responses from one dose of Pfizer COVID-19 shot

news from Kansas:

QuoteQuote:
All adults in Kansas will be eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine beginning Monday as the state enters its final phase of its vaccination prioritization plan, Gov. Laura Kelly announced Friday.

“With the anticipated increase in supply from the federal government, we must get every dose of vaccine into arms quickly,” Kelly said in a news release. “I strongly encourage every Kansan to get the COVID-19 vaccine so we can get back to school, back to work, and back to normal.”

The final phase makes everyone age 16 and older eligible for the vaccine.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/coronavirus/article250234320.html?utm_source...=pushly_893228

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-26-2021 at 11:34 AM.
03-27-2021, 05:36 PM - 2 Likes   #635
Pentaxian

I got my second Pfizer shot 19 days after the first. Most of the reports say it's supposed to be 21 days but I doubt that 2 days makes much difference. No real side effects for me other than a sore arm for a day. One thing I did notice showed up on my Garmin fitness tracker. My resting HR went from 57 up to 64 for a couple of days and my stress level was off the chart although I wasn't really feeling stressed. The readings are based on heart rate variability so something was going on. Things are back to normal today.
03-28-2021, 03:36 AM   #636
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Just had my second jab,quite a bit earlier than the scheduled May 5th.

My wife works as a vaccinator in an outreach centre for the homeless and if there are unused doses at the end of a shift the coordinator is allowed to call in family etc of staff.

Now waiting for the reaction to set in,the first jab gave me a bout of man-flu for 36 hours!

Edit.18 hours later and no reaction other than a slightly aching arm.
According to a study in Israel a strong reaction to the first shot seems to indicate that you already have COVID antibodies. You may have already had the disease and been asymptomatic. ( A study in New York City showed that 50% of the people who got it showed no symptoms at all.) The same Israeli study said that you may not have even needed the second dose.

My one son had a very strong reaction to his first dose and a much milder reaction to the second one. Hopefully you will have the same experience.
03-28-2021, 03:48 AM   #637
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I got my second Pfizer shot 19 days after the first. Most of the reports say it's supposed to be 21 days but I doubt that 2 days makes much difference. No real side effects for me other than a sore arm for a day. One thing I did notice showed up on my Garmin fitness tracker. My resting HR went from 57 up to 64 for a couple of days and my stress level was off the chart although I wasn't really feeling stressed. The readings are based on heart rate variability so something was going on. Things are back to normal today.
Sounds normal for an immune response. Your body's acting as it would with the live virus after all - and that includes pumping blood faster to get white blood cells to the site. It really does look similar to the physical symptoms of stress.

03-29-2021, 04:22 AM   #638
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I scheduled my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine for this coming Friday.
It will be given at my local CVS pharmacy, in walking distance from my place.

There's still no program from my employer to facilitate vaccination of its "essential" workforce.
I guess we'll see that after we receive our "combat pay" (suggested, but never mentioned again)...

Chris
03-29-2021, 05:04 AM   #639
Veteran Member

I've got my first dose of pfizer in 2 hours...drive through clinic. Hoping for no side effects but if there are some.. so be it. Its one more step towards my next photography vacation!
AL
03-29-2021, 06:44 AM   #640
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
According to a study in Israel a strong reaction to the first shot seems to indicate that you already have COVID antibodies. You may have already had the disease and been asymptomatic. ( A study in New York City showed that 50% of the people who got it showed no symptoms at all.) The same Israeli study said that you may not have even needed the second dose.

My one son had a very strong reaction to his first dose and a much milder reaction to the second one. Hopefully you will have the same experience.
This makes sense. The reaction to the second dose seems to be stronger than to the first, so for those who have had the disease itself the first dose of vaccine is the second dose of exposure as far as the body is concerned.
03-29-2021, 12:06 PM - 3 Likes   #641
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My mom is 89, suffers from dementia & can't get around at all. I discovered the county (Ventura County CA) has an in-home vaccine option, and they will be here tomorrow, yay. She's gonna get the single-shot J & J vaccine.
03-29-2021, 12:17 PM   #642
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Pfizer, Moderna vaccines are 90% effective after two doses in study of real-life conditions, CDC confirms
Report on essential workers is one of the first to estimate protection against any infection, regardless of symptoms

. . . The Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines being deployed to fight the coronavirus pandemic are robustly effective in preventing infections in real-life conditions, according to a federal study released Monday that provides reassurance of protection for front-line workers in the United States.

In a study of about 4,000 health-care personnel, police, firefighters and other essential workers, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that the vaccines reduced the risk of infection by 80 percent after one shot. Protection increased to 90 percent following the second dose. The findings are consistent with clinical trial results and studies showing strong effectiveness in Israel and the United Kingdom, and in initial studies of health-care workers at the UT Southwestern Medical Center and in Southern California.

The CDC report is significant, experts said, because it analyzed how well the vaccines worked among a diverse group of front-line working-age adults whose jobs make them more likely to be exposed to the virus and to spread it.. . .
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/03/29/vaccine-effective-essential-workers-study/
04-01-2021, 08:57 PM   #643
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got Pfizer #1 yesterday. Feeling very in tune with the 5G network

Seriously though, apart from a mildly tender left shoulder, I feel 100%. A brisk 10.5km bush walk on a warm, sunny morning today was no problem at all.
04-01-2021, 09:09 PM   #644
Veteran Member

I had the first pfizer shot 3 days ago... not too bad on the side effects.. did have a very sore shoulder to neck the first two days post shot.. not much else.

Feel fine now.
AL
04-02-2021, 01:52 AM   #645
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I got Pfizer #1 yesterday. Feeling very in tune with the 5G network

Seriously though, apart from a mildly tender left shoulder, I feel 100%. A brisk 10.5km bush walk on a warm, sunny morning today was no problem at all.
Remember to lift your tinfoil hat up with your arm, to increase signal strength in the bush.

On topic, grandma and mom got their second Pfizer shots (gran by virtue of being almost 90, my mother's a teacher so she got prioritized). Currently taking bets to see whether my dad (age range) or my brother (medical student) get the shot first.

We all know I'm gonna be the last one in the family
Closed Thread