Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3152 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2021, 02:00 AM   #646
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
BBC News - Covid: Tennis bodies urge hesitant players to get vaccine
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-56610522

So Djokovic doesn"t want anything put into his body, but he is happy to have the virus itself in his body. Incredible.

04-02-2021, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #647
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
BBC News - Covid: Tennis bodies urge hesitant players to get vaccine
Covid: Tennis bodies urge hesitant players to get vaccine - BBC News

So Djokovic doesn't want anything put into his body, but he is happy to have the virus itself in his body. Incredible.
Yes, he clarified he didn't want anything forced into his body and that was the problem he had with vaccinations. Never mind that he contracted the virus and carried it around so it could force itself into the bodies of those around him. Moron.
04-02-2021, 08:23 AM - 2 Likes   #648
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Yes, he clarified he didn't want anything forced into his body and that was the problem he had with vaccinations. Never mind that he contracted the virus and carried it around so it could force itself into the bodies of those around him. Moron.
One of the problems today is several generations growing up in a world without diseases, at least in North America and Europe. Kids get vaccinated as babies and then pretty much grow up without having to worry about anything.The reason for that is the vaccines. I remember standing in line for hours with my mother to get a polio shot. Back then, that shot was thought of as a gift from God.
04-02-2021, 08:36 AM   #649
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
One of the problems today is several generations growing up in a world without diseases, at least in North America and Europe. Kids get vaccinated as babies and then pretty much grow up without having to worry about anything.The reason for that is the vaccines. I remember standing in line for hours with my mother to get a polio shot. Back then, that shot was thought of as a gift from God.
I agree

until the recent measles out break:

QuoteQuote:
During January–September 2019, 1,249 U.S. measles cases were reported, the highest annual number since 1992. Eighty-nine percent of measles patients were unvaccinated or had an unknown vaccination status, and 10% were hospitalized. Eighty-six percent of cases were associated with outbreaks in underimmunized, close-knit communities, including two outbreaks in New York Orthodox Jewish communities that threatened measles elimination status in the United States.
National Update on Measles Cases and Outbreaks ? United States, January 1?October 1, 2019 | MMWR

I don't recall any crisis

note that the issue was due to those who chose not to be vaccinated

I fear history will repeat with covid 19

04-02-2021, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #650
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got my first jab of the Pfizer vaccine just over an hour ago...

EDIT: After 30+ hours the only effect is some slight soreness at injection site.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-03-2021 at 05:38 PM.
04-02-2021, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #651
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Breaking news

QuoteQuote:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated its guidance to say fully vaccinated people can travel within the U.S. without getting tested for the coronavirus or going into quarantine afterward . . . The new guidance says:

— Fully vaccinated people can travel within the U.S., without getting tested for the coronavirus or quarantining. People should still wear a mask, socially distance and avoid crowds, the agency says.

— For international travel, the agency says vaccinated people do not need to get a COVID-19 test before leaving, though some destinations may require it.

— Vaccinated people should still get a negative COVID-19 test before boarding a flight to the U.S., and be tested 3 to 5 days after returning. They do not need to quarantine. The agency noted the potential introduction of virus variants and differences in vaccine coverage around the world for the cautious guidance on overseas travel.
Fully vaccinated Americans can travel within the US without testing or quarantine, according to new CDC guidance - Chicago Tribune
04-02-2021, 08:56 AM   #652
Pentaxian

Does that mean they will be issuing "Vaccine Passports"?

04-02-2021, 10:11 AM   #653
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Within the US, I think they are worried about the discussion of vaccine passports interfering with the vaccine process. My guess is we'd have to get to 70% or so fully vaccinated and some kind of child vaccine before any proposal. We'll probably cheerfully implement vaccine passports for non-citizens.
04-03-2021, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #654
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Everyone gets a piece of paper on vaccination that they can get laminated and I suppose take with them. A number of states have been working on apps that are supposed to take the place of that piece of paper. COVID Vaccine Passport: What to Know About New York's Excelsior Pass | Condé Nast Traveler

I don't think at this point the CDC's recommendation will change anything, but perhaps down the road it will change if people are required to get COVID tested within 48 hours of travel and similar current practices. My guess is that countries like New Zealand and Israel will start restricting travel of those who aren't vaccinated.

Israel has vaccinated 90 percent of their population over 50 and nearly 60 percent of their population and they are now averaging only 300 new cases a day (they were at 8000 the middle of January) and 8 new deaths a day (they were around 60 in January). It's a pretty remarkable curve to look at. Israel Coronavirus: 833,707 Cases and 6,220 Deaths - Worldometer
04-03-2021, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #655
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I got my 1st shot last week, 2nd shot is on the 21st of this month.
Its the Moderna vaccine
04-03-2021, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #656
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Within the US, I think they are worried about the discussion of vaccine passports interfering with the vaccine process. My guess is we'd have to get to 70% or so fully vaccinated and some kind of child vaccine before any proposal. We'll probably cheerfully implement vaccine passports for non-citizens.
The issue with vaccine passports, and this is not limited to the US is no politician is willing to even enter into a discussion of public safety being paramount over individual rights of freedom of movement. This is why democratic countries are having a hard time controlling the virus, because they can only limit the interaction of people indirectly, by limiting business operation through existing legislation. They rely on the “goodwill” of the population to behave responsibly, and sadly we have proven that there are enough of the population that either won’t or cannot afford to limit their interactions which is why the virus is spreading.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 04-03-2021 at 08:57 AM.
04-03-2021, 06:47 AM   #657
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I agree

until the recent measles out break:

National Update on Measles Cases and Outbreaks ? United States, January 1?October 1, 2019 | MMWR

I don't recall any crisis

note that the issue was due to those who chose not to be vaccinated

I fear history will repeat with covid 19
There were quite a few measles cases around this area a couple of years ago and mostly among unvaccinated kids. I had measles as a kid but don't really remember too much as I was very young. Kind of like covid, measles is mostly a nuisance to most who catch it but has severe side effects to some and there is no real way to determine whether any one individual will fall into the severe category. Growing up in the 60's, getting measles, mumps, chicken pox was a rite of passage and parents were happy to get it over with. There were neighborhood parties so lots of kids would all get it at the same time and be done with it, a far cry from the fear surrounding covid. Getting these diseases later in life was was more serious. You don't hear much about them anymore, at least in the US.
04-03-2021, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #658
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
There were quite a few measles cases around this area a couple of years ago and mostly among unvaccinated kids. I had measles as a kid but don't really remember too much as I was very young. Kind of like covid, measles is mostly a nuisance to most who catch it but has severe side effects to some and there is no real way to determine whether any one individual will fall into the severe category. Growing up in the 60's, getting measles, mumps, chicken pox was a rite of passage and parents were happy to get it over with. There were neighborhood parties so lots of kids would all get it at the same time and be done with it, a far cry from the fear surrounding covid. Getting these diseases later in life was was more serious. You don't hear much about them anymore, at least in the US.
Except that the mortality rate per case for COVID is 10 times higher than the measles, and mumps, and 100-200 times higher than chicken pox, so COVID-19 is not really a nuisance disease and not a “right of passage” either.
04-03-2021, 01:02 PM   #659
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Except that the mortality rate per case for COVID is 10 times higher than the measles, and mumps, and 100-200 times higher than chicken pox, so COVID-19 is not really a nuisance disease and not a “right of passage” either.
COVID-19 is more like a Russian roulette, so to speak. Mortality for measles is as you say low, but the thing about measles is that a small percentage of those infected later develop encephalopathy that is not reversible. If you are immune-compromised, getting Chicken Pox can be a death sentence too.
04-03-2021, 01:18 PM   #660
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I really think the issue with COVID is that none of us were exposed to it as children. Measles and even Varicella cause pretty significant illnesses when they affect adults.

COVID has extremely low mortality for people under 20 (I know the media puts every single death of kids from COVID in the news, but there really aren't many), but when you get to the folks over 60, the risk of both hospitalization and death goes way up. If we had been exposed to this coronavirus multiple time over the course of our childhood, it is doubtful to me that it would have been a big deal, even for the elderly.
Closed Thread