Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3152 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2021, 01:52 PM   #661
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
COVID-19 is more like a Russian roulette, so to speak. Mortality for measles is as you say low, but the thing about measles is that a small percentage of those infected later develop encephalopathy that is not reversible. If you are immune-compromised, getting Chicken Pox can be a death sentence too.
And with COVID we don’t yet know the full long term impacts

---------- Post added 04-03-21 at 04:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I really think the issue with COVID is that none of us were exposed to it as children. Measles and even Varicella cause pretty significant illnesses when they affect adults.

COVID has extremely low mortality for people under 20 (I know the media puts every single death of kids from COVID in the news, but there really aren't many), but when you get to the folks over 60, the risk of both hospitalization and death goes way up. If we had been exposed to this coronavirus multiple time over the course of our childhood, it is doubtful to me that it would have been a big deal, even for the elderly.
Considering thee is absolutely no data to support your theory either way at this point, what do you suggest. Kill off several million and hope?

04-03-2021, 03:02 PM   #662
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I really think the issue with COVID is that none of us were exposed to it as children. Measles and even Varicella cause pretty significant illnesses when they affect adults.

COVID has extremely low mortality for people under 20 (I know the media puts every single death of kids from COVID in the news, but there really aren't many), but when you get to the folks over 60, the risk of both hospitalization and death goes way up. If we had been exposed to this coronavirus multiple time over the course of our childhood, it is doubtful to me that it would have been a big deal, even for the elderly.
A big hint is in the name NOVEL coronavirus,NEW,it’s not been experienced before!
04-03-2021, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #663
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Moderna next Tuesday. Booster in May. I`ll report back if able to...
04-03-2021, 05:27 PM - 2 Likes   #664
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
A big hint is in the name NOVEL coronavirus,NEW,it’s not been experienced before!
Measles was NOVEL to Native Americans when Europeans first brought it here and it killed thousands. So did a lot of other common illnesses. There does seem to be some immunity to covid in the population because of so many mild and asymptotic cases. Maybe in 10 years they will have it figured out but we can be thankful for vaccines that appear to be very effective at least for now.

04-03-2021, 06:59 PM   #665
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
And with COVID we don’t yet know the full long term impacts

---------- Post added 04-03-21 at 04:53 PM ----------

Considering thee is absolutely no data to support your theory either way at this point, what do you suggest. Kill off several million and hope?
Of course not. I’m totally in favor of vaccines. I’m just trying to sort out the difference in mortality. Measles was horrible for Native Americans who got it because it was completely new for them.
04-03-2021, 07:05 PM - 2 Likes   #666
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Measles was NOVEL to Native Americans when Europeans first brought it here and it killed thousands. So did a lot of other common illnesses. There does seem to be some immunity to covid in the population because of so many mild and asymptotic cases. Maybe in 10 years they will have it figured out but we can be thankful for vaccines that appear to be very effective at least for now.
I had measles twice. Once as a toddler and once as an 8th grader. I remember that one. I can guarantee it is a disease that can strike you down HARD! I was 14 and praying for death as an escape. Even a few pretty epic cases of the flu I have had over the decades did not come close. Luckily God did not answer that prayer and I get to entertain all you fine people with my wit and wisdom.

5 more days before my second shot. Really not looking forward to it. Both me and the Mrs. getting them at the same time.

When I got my first shot I asked the nurse if I could scream and roll around on the floor tin dramatic fashion or if she preferred I just sat quietly. She said that she has had people come in covered with tattoos tell her to give them a warning so they could turn away. They were afraid of needles.

04-03-2021, 09:48 PM   #667
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

I wonder if previous exposures to non COVID -19 corona virus is a risk factor to bad outcomes though.

04-04-2021, 02:36 AM   #668
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I wonder if previous exposures to non COVID -19 corona virus is a risk factor to bad outcomes though.
I really think it is a mixture of things. First of all, certain comorbidities really seem to increase risk from COVID -- particularly obesity, hypertension, diabetes, and heart failure. The more of these you have the more likely you are to have a really bad case and obviously they are more common in older people.

The second thing is that there are genetic tendencies towards a hyper-inflammatory response to COVID found on the third chromosome. Found: genes that sway the course of the coronavirus | Science | AAAS
04-05-2021, 11:09 AM - 3 Likes   #669
Pentaxian

Got my first Covid shot. Pfizer.
04-05-2021, 04:18 PM   #670
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Starting tomorrow in New York State everyone aged 16 and over is eligible to receive COVID-19 vaccination.

Chris
04-05-2021, 05:07 PM   #671
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Starting tomorrow in New York State everyone aged 16 and over is eligible to receive COVID-19 vaccination.

Chris
That's great news Chris.How does eligibility match up to availability of doses?
04-05-2021, 05:26 PM   #672
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How does eligibility match up to availability of doses?
NYS has supplied daily updated data throughout the pandemic.

https://covid19vaccine.health.ny.gov/covid-19-vaccine-tracker

Follow link at bottom of page.

Chris
04-05-2021, 07:48 PM   #673
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think that if you really wanted, at least here in Southern California, anyone could receive the vaccine although it would have taken some degree of perseverance.

All of my non medical field friends got theirs within one week of calling local pharmacies ie Rite Aide and CVS and asking to be on the waiting list.

It’s probably not quite like that elsewhere ....
04-05-2021, 08:04 PM   #674
Pentaxian

Now that I'm working for the state again, I finally got my first Pfizer dose on Friday. Now I go back in 3 weeks for the 2nd.
04-06-2021, 06:34 AM   #675
Pentaxian

That's great news Chris.How does eligibility match up to availability of doses?
I can't speak for the whole state but around here in the Saratoga-Warren-Washington county area, Walgreens and CVS pharmacies were having trouble using all their opened vials of vaccine later in the day and were offering to anybody who wanted it. I think that is why the state has opened it up to everyone. They don't want anymore news stories about vaccine being thrown away which was happening. Clinics were calling people on their over 50 waiting lists to come in early but getting no replies. Locally, they are saying the majority of seniors have been vaccinated. That's probably not true for the cities.
Closed Thread