Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3152 Likes Search this Thread
08-11-2021, 03:38 PM - 3 Likes   #1306
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Australia now at over 2,000 cases per day per week and that all from one limo driver who got the Delta variant from an international air crew.
We've had 114 cases during the last 4 weeks but all in managed isolation. Obviously, the worry here is if it makes the jump into the population again. That will dump us back into lockdown. So far so good.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 08-11-2021 at 08:09 PM.
08-11-2021, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #1307
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Australia now at over 2,000 cases per day and that all from one limo driver who got the Delta variant from an international air crew.
It's about 400 per day, but yes, mostly in Sydney where that unvaccinated limo driver cut loose. The Premier of the state has refused to put a police cordon around Sydney, so individuals have taken it to Newcastle, to Byron Bay, to Armidale, to Dubbo, etc. They either defied lockdown rules or exploited loopholes (the rich guy who went to Byron Bay claimed he was surveying potential property purchases - he wore no mask, refused to check in to each venue he visited, and wouldn't answer police questions. His illness got so bad he ended up in hospital, but denied it was coronavirus, because he doesn't believe in it).
08-11-2021, 08:07 PM - 2 Likes   #1308
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's about 400 per day, but yes, mostly in Sydney where that unvaccinated limo driver cut loose. The Premier of the state has refused to put a police cordon around Sydney, so individuals have taken it to Newcastle, to Byron Bay, to Armidale, to Dubbo, etc. They either defied lockdown rules or exploited loopholes (the rich guy who went to Byron Bay claimed he was surveying potential property purchases - he wore no mask, refused to check in to each venue he visited, and wouldn't answer police questions. His illness got so bad he ended up in hospital, but denied it was coronavirus, because he doesn't believe in it).
Oops, sorry. It seems I confused weekly numbers with daily numbers. Vaccinations, here, open up to everyone from 16 years old and up from the 1st of September. Of course, many will believe the antivaxer drivel being dished up mainly on faceplant so I wonder how many will grab the chance.
08-12-2021, 02:51 AM   #1309
Pentaxian

Spain seems to be just about leading the world now in vaccination rates. After some initial problems getting up to speed I think they're doing an absolutely fantastic job here, plus "vaccine hesitation" here is generally at a very low level. Currently we have 62% of the population fully vaccinated and another 10% partially.

08-12-2021, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #1310
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Spain seems to be just about leading the world now in vaccination rates. After some initial problems getting up to speed I think they're doing an absolutely fantastic job here, plus "vaccine hesitation" here is generally at a very low level. Currently we have 62% of the population fully vaccinated and another 10% partially.
Yeah, Spain has historically not really had issues with mandated vaccines... plus there are two other factors:
- So many deaths early on. I know a lot of people who know someone who died because of the virus, and that normally helps drive the point home.
- The government(s) in Spain have zero qualms with, ahem, encouraging vaccinations. I'm not sure how it is in other regions, but in Galicia most municipalities are at a high enough risk level that hospitality MUST require a negative test or vaccination proof from each customer... and there is nothing a Spaniard will stop at to secure access to a bar/café/restaurant .
08-12-2021, 07:35 AM   #1311
Pentaxian

Covid: Germany fears thousands got saline, not vaccine from nurse - BBC News
08-12-2021, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #1312
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sure hope she gets charged with manslaughter if even one of the people who are suspected of having been given saline died. This is well beyond ridiculous.

08-12-2021, 12:32 PM   #1313
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A bit frustrated with the kids under 12 situation. FDA and CDC probably should be a bit more transparent regarding its approval process though. I am seeing a huge uptick in COVID related admission to my pediatric ICU the last 2 weeks. Not just respiratory related illnesses but also misc-c as well.
08-12-2021, 03:46 PM   #1314
Loyal Site Supporter

It looks like we have a wave starting. We had 141 new cases today. We've been bouncing around 50-80 a day for the past couple of weeks.
That probably doesn't sound like a lot, but we are a little over a million persons spread across a province not much smaller in area than Texas.
That puts us at a rolling average of 7.7 cases per hundred thousand over the past week.
On July 11, when our powers that be pretty much washed their hands of any sort of dealing with the pandemic, we were close to 2 per hundred thousand.
08-12-2021, 07:57 PM - 2 Likes   #1315
Pentaxian

Unfortunately in my state even vaccinated Rate 74% New case skyrocket in last 5 day
Mostly not vaccinated and hospital admission go up
Look like back to beginning
Sorry but it’s hard to understand human stubbornness or stupidity
08-13-2021, 02:38 AM   #1316
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
A bit frustrated with the kids under 12 situation. FDA and CDC probably should be a bit more transparent regarding its approval process though. I am seeing a huge uptick in COVID related admission to my pediatric ICU the last 2 weeks. Not just respiratory related illnesses but also misc-c as well.
My guess is that there is a higher data requirement for pre-teens. Teens are assumed (sometimes wrongly) to be mini-adults. Younger children may require different doses of vaccine and might have different side effects, like the myocarditis seen in young men.

I do question if the studies on this age group will be high enough powered to catch stuff like that though as they are often only 3 or 4 cases per million doses given.

My oldest two kids (14 and 13) are now fully vaccinated. They didn't have any side effects at all. Our third child is 10 and is upset that he couldn't get vaccinated.

---------- Post added 08-13-21 at 05:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It looks like we have a wave starting. We had 141 new cases today. We've been bouncing around 50-80 a day for the past couple of weeks.
That probably doesn't sound like a lot, but we are a little over a million persons spread across a province not much smaller in area than Texas.
That puts us at a rolling average of 7.7 cases per hundred thousand over the past week.
On July 11, when our powers that be pretty much washed their hands of any sort of dealing with the pandemic, we were close to 2 per hundred thousand.
Maybe so, it certainly is an uptick for Canada as a whole. Canada COVID: 1,447,446 Cases and 26,692 Deaths - Worldometer That said, it is nothing like the US. Canada has had 26,000 deaths, the US is working on 640,000 deaths. United States COVID: 37,203,649 Cases and 636,298 Deaths - Worldometer Pretty sad to me as it really comes down to US folks not being willing to listen to the science, whether you are talking about cutting down on gatherings, wearing masks, or now, getting vaccinated.
08-13-2021, 04:47 AM   #1317
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After a statistical study done in Australia they found that the difference between reported cases and actual cases may be off by a factor of 6.2 of more. If this is true then some 220,000,000 people in the US have already come in contact with the disease. That gives us a survival rate of 99.28? One county in the US did a review of all deaths where COVID was listed as the cause and reduced the number by COVID deaths 23%.

In China the disease seems to have totally gone away. According to the official party line, there have been some 90,000 cases with about 4,000 deaths. With all the numbers games being played, the lies about the origins of the disease and every political persuasion trying to make gain from the pandemic we will never know the truth. All numbers games politics and that is why people are asking questions.

Questions:

On a scale of 1-10 how serious is the disease?
Where did it originate?
Why did it stop in China while India is reeling under the onslaught?
If it is a gain of function virus, who made it?
Why does it mutate so fast?

What else are we not being told about the disease?

For the record I am vaccinated. But I am an old fart, a bit overweight and occasionally have PVC events. I do not favor vaccination of children.
08-13-2021, 06:55 PM - 5 Likes   #1318
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I do not favor vaccination of children.
Not for any of these?
Chickenpox (varicella) vaccine
Diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis vaccine (DTaP)
Hepatitis A vaccine (HepA)
Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) vaccine
Hepatitis B vaccine (HepB)
Human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine
Influenza vaccine
Measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine (MMR)
Meningococcal vaccines (MenACWY, MenB)
Pneumococcal vaccines (PCV13, PPSV23)
Polio vaccine (IPV)
Rotavirus vaccine (RV)
08-14-2021, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #1319
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
After a statistical study done in Australia they found that the difference between reported cases and actual cases may be off by a factor of 6.2 of more. If this is true then some 220,000,000 people in the US have already come in contact with the disease. That gives us a survival rate of 99.28? One county in the US did a review of all deaths where COVID was listed as the cause and reduced the number by COVID deaths 23%.

In China the disease seems to have totally gone away. According to the official party line, there have been some 90,000 cases with about 4,000 deaths. With all the numbers games being played, the lies about the origins of the disease and every political persuasion trying to make gain from the pandemic we will never know the truth. All numbers games politics and that is why people are asking questions.

Questions:

On a scale of 1-10 how serious is the disease?
Where did it originate?
Why did it stop in China while India is reeling under the onslaught?
If it is a gain of function virus, who made it?
Why does it mutate so fast?

What else are we not being told about the disease?

For the record I am vaccinated. But I am an old fart, a bit overweight and occasionally have PVC events. I do not favor vaccination of children.
I might have agreed with you for the alpha variant, but with regard to the delta, we are seeing a lot more serious infections in younger people. In our local hospital there are 55 people admitted now with a COVID diagnosis. Nearly all of them are in their 30s or 40s and are unvaccinated. Last year we didn't see people that young getting admitted to the hospital. Is COVID delta variant making children sicker? Experts don't know yet. We aren't sure if kids are getting sicker or if they are simply catching delta more than last year's strain, but children's hospitals are fuller. Death rates from the alpha strain were very low in young people, but anecdotally seem to be creeping up a bit now.

As far as your questions, I have come to the conclusion that we probably won't know what happened in China. My guess is some type of lab slip up, but the Chinese government is never going to admit that. As to whether COVID is natural or engineered, it is impossible to say and once again, China will never admit that they did anything wrong. I don't really think it matters except as a warning for us to be better prepared in the future and have protocols in place that can address pandemics in an apolitical way.

As far as how fast it mutates, I don't think it does terribly fast. Influenza, which is a naturally occurring virus, is a very fast mutating virus. This is why flu shots have notoriously bad coverage. Sometimes the CDC guesses badly on strains and sometimes the flu shifts mid season to give poor coverage. COVID has mutated a fair amount over the last year and a half, but not enough that vaccines are ineffective against it. How COVID-19 mutates and how it affects vaccines | OSF HealthCare

As far as gaining control of it, China has the benefit of being an authoritarian state where they can shut things down completely with no recourse for its citizens. We know that this works, when it is done aggressively, although it probably worked better on the alpha strain than on delta, which is what was prevalent in India. India has high levels of poverty, very high concentrations of people. Even so, they did shut things down and saw cases plummet when they did so. At their peak in May they were averaging 350,000 new cases a day and are down to 35,000 a day now.

I guess I would say that as doctors and scientists learn things about COVID they release their data. There is much we are still learning about it but I don't think there is some secret cabal that is keeping the COVID cure away from the news. Rather we try some things, test them and while preliminary results are promising testing shows they just don't work out.
08-14-2021, 05:34 AM   #1320
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Not for any of these?
Chickenpox (varicella) vaccine
Diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis vaccine (DTaP)
Hepatitis A vaccine (HepA)
Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) vaccine
Hepatitis B vaccine (HepB)
Human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine
Influenza vaccine
Measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine (MMR)
Meningococcal vaccines (MenACWY, MenB)
Pneumococcal vaccines (PCV13, PPSV23)
Polio vaccine (IPV)
Rotavirus vaccine (RV)
These are all fully FDA approved. Like it or not, the COVID vaccines are still not FDA approved and will not be for another 2 years if all testing protocols are followed. Technically it is still in it's experimental stages. One study I read, it seems that people who got COVID and developed antibodies naturally not only retain a long term ability to manufacture COVID antibodies but they are also a bit more effective against variants. The vaccines are too specific.

I am not anti vaccine. Do we need different dosages for them? There are stories out there of children dying from both COVID and the vaccine. When it comes to children I think that since they are the population in least danger of dying from the disease one has to ask if the risk outweighs the benefits.

My son, his girlfriend and her two children have all had the disease. Since they all now carry the ability to self manufacture COVID antibodies do they really need to get vaccinated? They may even be more resistant to the Delta variant than you or me. (I assume you are vaccinated).

Funny note. When his girlfriends youngest (5 year old) was in bed with COVID she went to his room to check on him. She asks how he is feeling and he yells out "LIFE IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THIS!!!!!" Well she figured that if he is getting pissed off he is starting to feel better. Sure enough, two days later he was running around like nothing happened. Her oldest was the one who brought them all the disease. His total COVID experience was the sniffles for a few days. That is why they took no note of it.
Closed Thread