Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2021, 04:45 PM   #1471
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
At the same time, it seems incredible that people only get vaccinated when someone puts a vaccination centre right in front of them on their way to work.
In Japan, it is a combination of slow vaccine roll out which put younger people on the last in line + the vaccine shortage which make it very hard to reserve a sort for those live in big city. On the news, one of the guy lucky enough to get vaccinated said he stood in line since 4 AM, and he was not the first. Some go as far as stay in a hotel nearby a day earlier to make sure they can get there as early as possible. And the line goes from Shibuya station to almost Harajuku station. Anyone come after 6 or 7 AM think that they are early enough get to be disappointed. Vaccine shortage is real in many countries. It is not that people here don't want the vaccine. It sad to see some country with abandon amount of vaccine has so much resistance and miss information around it.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 09-01-2021 at 04:54 PM.
09-01-2021, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #1472
Pentaxian

About 80% vaccinated here, but seeing the highest number of cases each day due to the delta variant. (around 150 cases a day from a low of 0 to 30 )
The government has started to change the narrative that we are moving into an endemic and not a pandemic with the claim that hospitalization and death will be much lower. (around 1.8% for death )
My son came home from school about a month back and asked me if we are in a endemic (apparently thats what the schools are asked to tell them )
The vise is tightened on the unvaccinated, eating in many indoor establishments are now prohibited as well as access to gyms and some other indoor facilities.
A local Uni even prevented the use of its toilets for the un-vaxed.

While I am for vaccination, I would draw the line on this sort of segregation (we have enough divisions already due to this pandemic amplifying existing social/economic divisions )
09-02-2021, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #1473
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My six year old daughter started running a fever last Saturday and we got her tested for COVID and it was positive. So much for natural immunity -- she had COVID before at Christmas time. Fortunately, none of the rest of us seem to have gotten it -- we got tested last evening and were negative, so it does seem like the vaccines do some good for those who can take them -- a little case study, but maybe interesting none the less.

(School is really hard because there are parents who are getting "mask exemptions" from the school and there was even a parent in Amherst County, just north of us, who sent their child to school, knowing that they were positive for COVID -- that school had to go virtual for the next week and a half. https://www.wdbj7.com/2021/08/26/person-entered-amherst-county-school-buildi...ntendent-says/ ).
09-02-2021, 04:56 AM   #1474
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My six year old daughter started running a fever last Saturday and we got her tested for COVID and it was positive. So much for natural immunity -- she had COVID before at Christmas time. Fortunately, none of the rest of us seem to have gotten it -- we got tested last evening and were negative,. . . .
best wishes for her full recovery

09-02-2021, 08:18 AM   #1475
Pentaxian

My six year old daughter started running a fever last Saturday and we got her tested for COVID and it was positive. So much for natural immunity -- she had COVID before at Christmas time. Fortunately, none of the rest of us seem to have gotten it -- we got tested last evening and were negative, so it does seem like the vaccines do some good for those who can take them -- a little case study, but maybe interesting none the less.

(School is really hard because there are parents who are getting "mask exemptions" from the school and there was even a parent in Amherst County, just north of us, who sent their child to school, knowing that they were positive for COVID -- that school had to go virtual for the next week and a half. Person knowingly having coronavirus entered Amherst County school building, superintendent says ).
All the best for your daughter. A colleague's husband who has had just the first of the two jabs has now got CoViD and is now isolating. This will happen more and more but vaccines vastly reduce serious cases even if they have less of an effect on preventing infection altogether.

Schools here go back next Monday, so I'm waiting to see what will happen. They're maintaining some precautions but will not be taking temperatures at the door any more, which opens the door a little for irresponsible parents to send their ill children to school and infect everyone else.
09-02-2021, 02:49 PM   #1476
Loyal Site Supporter

Mrs. Wheatfield and I became eligible for a booster shot because we did a mixed dosage, getting Astra Zeneca as a first shot and Pfizer as a second. We both got our second Pfizer shot last Sunday. I'm thinking it worked out fairly well for us with the timing as we are deep into another wave driven primarily by a combination of the Delta variant and people who want to get a Darwin award. We've added well over a thousand cases in the last week in our little province of 1 million persons.
Nearly 40% of our new cases are in the 20-39 year old age group, and the vast majority are either unvaccinated or not fully vaccinated. It looks like most of our breakthrough infections are from people who got their initial vaccinations early, so there is probably something to be said for the efficacy of the vaccines wearing off after a while.
09-02-2021, 05:00 PM   #1477
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eff this, wrote a lengthy blaa blaa about my travels in the last month and the stress-test that my moderna got put thru.
I am back home, feeling good after some extreme exposure situations in the past month.
If there is a Moderna booster, sign me up.

09-02-2021, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #1478
Veteran Member

There will be a Moderna booster. As a phase 3 trial participant, I was informed earlier this week that we would be getting boosters along with the general public. Not sure how they’re going to handle the timing, given that those who got the vaccine last summer are way beyond 8 months, and those of us who were unblinded in early 2021 will hit 8 months mostly in October.
09-02-2021, 06:23 PM   #1479
Pentaxian

(School is really hard because there are parents who are getting "mask exemptions" from the school and there was even a parent in Amherst County, just north of us, who sent their child to school, knowing that they were positive for COVID -- that school had to go virtual for the next week and a half. Person knowingly having coronavirus entered Amherst County school building, superintendent says ).
Hope she gets well soon.

The delta variant seems to affect children as much and over here, children/schools were largely unaffected (for over a year) with the initial Covid strain, but with delta, the past 3-4months, there have been quite a few cases in school going children.
09-03-2021, 01:00 AM   #1480
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
There will be a Moderna booster. As a phase 3 trial participant, I was informed earlier this week that we would be getting boosters along with the general public. Not sure how they’re going to handle the timing, given that those who got the vaccine last summer are way beyond 8 months, and those of us who were unblinded in early 2021 will hit 8 months mostly in October.
So it would probably fall around January for me, seeing as I got the first shot in May. Assuming Germany (or wherever I am by then) keeps the same schedule. That's good timing, I expect another wave after Christmas (again).

---------- Post added 09-03-21 at 01:05 AM ----------

I hope she's doing better!
09-03-2021, 02:37 AM - 4 Likes   #1481
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Hope she gets well soon.

The delta variant seems to affect children as much and over here, children/schools were largely unaffected (for over a year) with the initial Covid strain, but with delta, the past 3-4months, there have been quite a few cases in school going children.
She ran a fever for four days, but seems to be better now. It's still stressful to deal with.
09-14-2021, 09:11 AM   #1482
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Mrs. Wheatfield and I became eligible for a booster shot because we did a mixed dosage, getting Astra Zeneca as a first shot and Pfizer as a second. We both got our second Pfizer shot last Sunday. I'm thinking it worked out fairly well for us with the timing as we are deep into another wave driven primarily by a combination of the Delta variant and people who want to get a Darwin award. We've added well over a thousand cases in the last week in our little province of 1 million persons.
Nearly 40% of our new cases are in the 20-39 year old age group, and the vast majority are either unvaccinated or not fully vaccinated. It looks like most of our breakthrough infections are from people who got their initial vaccinations early, so there is probably something to be said for the efficacy of the vaccines wearing off after a while.
I wish Ford would open up the option to get a third of pfiser or moderna to those of us who got double AZ here in Ontario, We were going to go to France this year to house hunt for retirement and had to cancel because they don't recognise the Indian AZ doses
09-14-2021, 10:20 AM   #1483
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Very sorry and hope she is getting better, and glad that the rest of the family is neg and seem asymptotic.

I find it very interesting, her story. I imagine she had PCR testing? At our children’s hospital, the viral panel we do includes non COVID variant corona virus, along w a slew of other usual stuff. Not a molecular biologist here but I wonder the rate of cross reactivity in PCR testing amongst various strains. I simply wonder how often false positives occur due to the limitations of the testing itself.

Or that this is not that unusual, vaccines offering varying degree of protection. Or that natural immunity is indeed working, and fever may well be a part of anti (or pro) inflammatory process taking place. Without prior exposure she may have been worse off against presumably a variant strain

School is an impossible situation, of course until we can vaccinate all the way down to 5~6 or above, which I’m hearing may be approved by the end of October. Even then - good luck with compliance w vaccines. Would frequent testing make a difference? Dunno.
09-14-2021, 10:30 AM   #1484
Loyal Site Supporter

Since I last posted numbers to this thread a couple of weeks ago things are looking a bit more dire in sunny Saskatchewan. We've been averaging close to 400 new cases per day, and yesterday saw our worst day for new cases since the pandemic began. Deaths are climbing again, and 50% of new cases are between 12 and 30 years old.
And still, our do nothing government continues with its policy of doing nothing.
Oh they've done one thing. They passed an emergency order lowing them to shift health care workers all over the place, meaning people who are already working 60 to 80 hours per week get the added stress of not knowing where they will be working, they just get to know they will be abused even more.
Meanwhile our government is pandering to a group of people who are protesting outside of hospitals, abusing health care workers on their way to and from work, and who are stifling discourse in an election campaign by throwing rocks and dog turds at the people they disagree with and just being general dumb wads.
09-14-2021, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #1485
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Very sorry and hope she is getting better, and glad that the rest of the family is neg and seem asymptotic.

I find it very interesting, her story. I imagine she had PCR testing? At our children’s hospital, the viral panel we do includes non COVID variant corona virus, along w a slew of other usual stuff. Not a molecular biologist here but I wonder the rate of cross reactivity in PCR testing amongst various strains. I simply wonder how often false positives occur due to the limitations of the testing itself.

Or that this is not that unusual, vaccines offering varying degree of protection. Or that natural immunity is indeed working, and fever may well be a part of anti (or pro) inflammatory process taking place. Without prior exposure she may have been worse off against presumably a variant strain

School is an impossible situation, of course until we can vaccinate all the way down to 5~6 or above, which I’m hearing may be approved by the end of October. Even then - good luck with compliance w vaccines. Would frequent testing make a difference? Dunno.
She did have PCR testing. Since then, my 10 year old son (unvaccinated) got COVID and my wife (vaccinated with Moderna in April) got COVID. The rest of us have seemed fine. I have O negative blood type, so not sure if that helped, but anyway, that's our experience, my other son, who is 13 and was vaccinated in July (also O negative) has not developed symptoms either.

Of course, we may later this week, but it has been a week and a half since the others developed symptoms.

My ten year old had the worst symptoms, but they are all pretty much back to normal (except for my wife's sense of smell).
Closed Thread