Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3152 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2021, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #1621
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This thread has nothing to do with Healthcare support systems, firearms, bean counters etc.

There are people world wide who are actively not getting the vaccines and there are people who have actively sought them out (raises hands). In the US and most other countries, I think, the vaccines are paid for by the local authorities or some other NGO. There are world wide issues with supply and overall access. My state has around a 70% vaccination rate, but there are places in my state where it is far too low and groups of people who just do not get it (metaphorically).

In a earlier thread about the virus I gave a pitch from a book I read on "The Effects of the use of Chemical and Biological Weapons" (UN circa 1970). In the preface there is a story from a professor standing in front of a class who holds up a cube of Plastic. He said (paraphrasing) In this cube is a crystal of Small Pox with enough virus to infect every human on the planet. Creating such a agent is not all that hard - the hard part is distributing a single virus particle to each individual on the planet. The problem is logistics and distribution mechanisms.

Currently with the SARS-Cov-19 virus, a professor could stand in front of a class and while holding up a vial of vaccine say - We have a solution to this Pandemic - but the issue is how do we get the shot into 7 Billion people.

Again - the issue is logistics and distribution mechanisms. Now, however we have the additional issue of those who should know better and are not getting the shot(s).

Get - Vaccinated.

09-21-2021, 11:09 PM   #1622
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
This thread has nothing to do with Healthcare support systems, firearms, bean counters etc.

There are people world wide who are actively not getting the vaccines and there are people who have actively sought them out (raises hands). In the US and most other countries, I think, the vaccines are paid for by the local authorities or some other NGO. There are world wide issues with supply and overall access. My state has around a 70% vaccination rate, but there are places in my state where it is far too low and groups of people who just do not get it (metaphorically).

In a earlier thread about the virus I gave a pitch from a book I read on "The Effects of the use of Chemical and Biological Weapons" (UN circa 1970). In the preface there is a story from a professor standing in front of a class who holds up a cube of Plastic. He said (paraphrasing) In this cube is a crystal of Small Pox with enough virus to infect every human on the planet. Creating such a agent is not all that hard - the hard part is distributing a single virus particle to each individual on the planet. The problem is logistics and distribution mechanisms.

Currently with the SARS-Cov-19 virus, a professor could stand in front of a class and while holding up a vial of vaccine say - We have a solution to this Pandemic - but the issue is how do we get the shot into 7 Billion people.

Again - the issue is logistics and distribution mechanisms. Now, however we have the additional issue of those who should know better and are not getting the shot(s).

Get - Vaccinated.
Do HMOs insist on vaccination for their clients? It would make perfect sense to do so.

09-22-2021, 01:42 AM   #1623
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
And what part of "And the US's medical system is a mess." did you not understand?

The US has tried to have a single payer system multiple times in the past (and future). There are forces here that will deny common sense at all levels.
Yeah, sorry, saw your later post. I was merely pointing out the interesting statistics.
09-22-2021, 01:43 AM   #1624
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lots of discussions here today about what level of vaccinations will allow us to stop having lockdowns. It seems the figure decided on is 90% of eligible people.

09-22-2021, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #1625
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
My doctor can't be sued. Everyone gets paid whether I die or not.
Yet, NZ's average life expectancy is 82.3 years, USA is 78.9, Canada is 82.4.
NZ child mortality is 0.5% before age 5, USA is 0.7%, Canada is 0.5%.
Maternal mortality rate in NZ is 11 deaths per 100,000 live births, USA is 14, Canada is 7.
Per capita spending on health care in New Zealand is $4,018.31, USA is $9,402.54 and Canada is $4,640.95.

I'm not convinced the "Sue the crap out of them for wrongful death" model is all that successful. Well, it's probably successful for the lawyers, but I don't think it's helping health outcomes.
It feels like many of these things are related to societal issues that the medical system struggles to work with. Obesity rate is 30 percent in New Zealand, 27 percent in Canada and 42 percent in the US. Probably related to this, Diabetes prevalence is 5 percent in New Zealand, 9 percent in Canada and 11 percent in the US. These are problems that most wealthy countries deal with, but getting people to exercise and eat healthy are the basic building blocks for a health society -- not throw more medicine at the problem.

I don't think lawyers are particularly the issue, although of course doctors do worry some about that and may order more tests than is necessary in order to avoid a law suit.

Vaccinations are very cost effective and a lot cheaper than either ICU care or Monoclonal antibodies (which are typically priced slightly over 2,000 dollars for an infusion). The idea that unvaccinated folks are willing to take monoclonal antibodies is odd to me, since they don't have multiple years of testing, but I guess somehow it seems less scary.

Just from a family standpoint, my 10 year old son has been struggling since getting over COVID. Just really seems to be battling terrible fatigue and maybe even some depression -- he's just tearful all of the time now. We are going to have him seen on Friday, but it has been three weeks and clearly something is wrong. Just because he is ten doesn't mean that he just popped out of it. I know in adults the rate of new psychiatric diagnosis is close to 20 percent after COVID, so I guess it makes sense that it can affect kids that way too. DEFINE_ME
09-22-2021, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #1626
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Just from a family standpoint, my 10 year old son has been struggling since getting over COVID. Just really seems to be battling terrible fatigue and maybe even some depression -- he's just tearful all of the time now. We are going to have him seen on Friday, but it has been three weeks and clearly something is wrong. Just because he is ten doesn't mean that he just popped out of it. I know in adults the rate of new psychiatric diagnosis is close to 20 percent after COVID, so I guess it makes sense that it can affect kids that way too. DEFINE_ME
I'm sorry to hear that. We seem to think the kids have it easy with Covid and it only knocks us older buggers! I hope he's fully recovered soon.
09-22-2021, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #1627
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I'm so sorry to hear this... I hope he recovers quickly and completely!

I can imagine that feeling tired all the time would be really stressful for a kid, I know I would feel down when I was a child and had to rest to recover from a fever... hopefully it's just that he's sad because of it, and nothing more serious

09-22-2021, 03:32 AM - 2 Likes   #1628
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
This is way off topic, but.....

It's actually the individual provincial governments responsibility to pay for health care. The federal government sends out equalization payments to provinces that need a boost to maintain the system.
But the money comes from the people through taxes.

So each taxpayer is an owner of the health care system.
09-22-2021, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #1629
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Just from a family standpoint, my 10 year old son has been struggling since getting over COVID. Just really seems to be battling terrible fatigue and maybe even some depression -- he's just tearful all of the time now. We are going to have him seen on Friday, but it has been three weeks and clearly something is wrong. Just because he is ten doesn't mean that he just popped out of it. I know in adults the rate of new psychiatric diagnosis is close to 20 percent after COVID, so I guess it makes sense that it can affect kids that way too. . . .
sorry that he and the rest of the family are having to deal with this situation

so glad you are reaching out to seek help

good luck
09-22-2021, 04:31 AM   #1630
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Lots of discussions here today about what level of vaccinations will allow us to stop having lockdowns. It seems the figure decided on is 90% of eligible people.
This is why so many don't trust the experts. We were told over and over, in the US, that 70% would do it.

Thanks,
barondla
09-22-2021, 04:40 AM   #1631
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
This is why so many don't trust the experts. We were told over and over, in the US, that 70% would do it.

Thanks,
barondla
perhaps that was for the original not the variants ?

in any case, it was and remains an " educated guess "

Covid 19 has not been known or studied for that long of time

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-22-2021 at 04:57 AM.
09-22-2021, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #1632
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

my 10 year old son has been struggling since getting over COVID. Just really seems to be battling terrible fatigue and maybe even some depression
Very sorry to hear that, I hope he comes good soon.

This article might be better that the rather technical Lancet one: Long-Haul COVID-19 in Children and Teens - HealthyChildren.org
09-22-2021, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #1633
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks,
barondla
It would do, for the original strain. Delta is significantly more infectious, and therefore needs a higher vaccination percentage to compensate.
09-22-2021, 06:52 AM - 4 Likes   #1634
Veteran Member

Thanks,
barondla
You seem to not understand how science works. Science constantly takes the best information available and draws conclusions. When more information becomes available or circumstances change, those conclusions get updated. Science is always the best we know now and prepared to change in the face of additional evidence.
09-22-2021, 06:56 AM - 2 Likes   #1635
Loyal Site Supporter

That's terrible. Hopefully he will get past it soon. I'm not a religious man, but if I was I would be praying for him and your family.
At least I can send a few kind thoughts your way.
Take care.
Closed Thread