Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2021, 12:53 PM   #1726
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
topic change

QuoteQuote:
Rural Americans now dying of COVID-19 at twice the rate of those in urban environments: research
BY JOSEPH CHOI - 09/30/21 11:16 AM EDT

A study released this month found that the rates of COVID-19 cases and deaths in rural areas have far surpassed those being observed in metropolitan communities, with rural mortality rates more than double that of urban ones.

The study from the Rural Policy Research Institute's (RUPRI) Center for Rural Health Policy found that as the summer ended, the coronavirus infection and mortality rates of rural and urban communities began to diverge.

RUPRI noted in its study that the initial surges of COVID-19 cases at the start of the pandemic were largely concentrated in urban areas. Subsequent surges saw increases in both urban and rural parts of the U.S.

"However, it was at that time that nonmetropolitan incidence and mortality rates surpassed those in metropolitan areas. Both rates were higher in nonmetropolitan areas during the third surge until its peak in January 2021," RUPRI's report read. "Incidence and mortality rates are currently much higher in nonmetropolitan counties than those in metropolitan counties."

As of mid-September, metropolitan areas were seeing a seven-day average death rate of 0.41 while rural communities had an average death rate of 0.85.

The average number of cases and deaths in both types of areas began to rise after having dropped and plateaued somewhat in the summer months; however, the numbers in rural areas quickly outpaced the rates seen in metropolitan ones.

In the last three months, RUPRI's study noted that the seven-day moving average for cases in urban and rural areas were largely the same until August. Currently the seven-day moving average in rural areas is 66.8 confirmed cases per 100,000 while in urban areas it is around 43.3 cases per 100,000.

“There is a national disconnect between perception and reality when it comes to Covid in rural America,” Alan Morgan, head of the National Rural Health Association, told NBC News. “We’ve turned many rural communities into kill boxes. And there's no movement towards addressing what we're seeing in many of these communities, either among the public, or among governing officials.”

NBC noted that apart from lower vaccination rates and a higher amount of infections, rural communities tend to have higher rates of poor health in general, with the pandemic compounding these pre-existing conditions.
Rural Americans now dying of COVID-19 at twice the rate of those in urban environments: research | TheHill

09-30-2021, 01:33 PM   #1727
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
NBC noted that apart from lower vaccination rates and a higher amount of infections, rural communities tend to have higher rates of poor health in general, with the pandemic compounding these pre-existing conditions.
I suspect that an additional factor may be that people in rural areas probably don't seek medical attention as soon as those in urban settings due to it being less convenient.
09-30-2021, 06:48 PM   #1728
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
How is North America lower than the United States? If I recall my 3rd grade geography correctly the United States (along with 45 other territories and sovereign states) is part of North America. How can part be greater than the whole?
It first I was thinking about capture the screen of all countries in North American and post it here but after see all the countries listed in Wiki...
ok, I am not going to do that!

This is the page to put the countries name, don't forget to change to the chart you want to see the comparison under the "METRIC" criteria.
https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations?country=USA
09-30-2021, 07:53 PM   #1729
Pentaxian

No, the first chart shows infection rates per 1 million, and total cases for UK, U.S., North America, EU, Asia, and Japan. It shows the U.S as higher than North America. It's mathematically impossible for a part to be greater than the whole of which it is a part.
The second chart shows vaccinations. The same principal applies.
This is like saying "The apartment building has 200 residents. 300 of them are on the second floor."
No, it is like saying that a class has an “A” student and an “F” student, but the class average is “C”.
Some members of the class can be above average as long as they are offset by some who are below average. All are members of the class.

09-30-2021, 10:54 PM   #1730
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
"Lies, damned lies, and statistics
We don’t have really national data base about cases or who and how vaccinated
Or tested for Covid test
This is biggest issue
A all country I think all country not give full information to public
Because will be so disastrous In US no even information
At list about 6 digit number people who got boost itself before official was offer boost
Some people mixed with different vaccine
So I really think all data base now it’s disastrous
10-01-2021, 07:28 AM   #1731
Loyal Site Supporter

You're right! Generally, the conditions required of municipal water supplies don't apply to bottled water.
And sometimes the conditions allowed in municipal water supplies are bad enough that any alternative looks good.
Hello Flynt Michigan and many of Canada's northern First Nation's reserves.
At least the bottled water has to pass some sort of food grade inspection.

---------- Post added Oct 1st, 2021 at 08:41 AM ----------

How is North America lower than the United States? If I recall my 3rd grade geography correctly the United States (along with 45 other territories and sovereign states) is part of North America. How can part be greater than the whole?
Mexico, and I suspect some of the Central American countries that are considered part of North America are bringing the number down. I think the vaccination rates in Canada are quite a bit higher than the USA, but Mexico is something like 35%.
I just checked. According to the WHO, the USA is 56% vaccinated, Canada is 71%, but Mexico is 35.3%.
I haven't bothered to check the rest of Central America plus the Caribbean nations, but my guess is many are lower than the USA.

---------- Post added Oct 1st, 2021 at 08:43 AM ----------

It doesn't matter what it actually shows. If you cut a 1 lb block of cheese into two pieces neither piece can possibly weigh a pound and a half.
That sounds a lot like what you see with your own eyes and what you hear with your own ears is not what is happening.
10-01-2021, 07:56 AM   #1732
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That sounds a lot like what you see with your own eyes and what you hear with your own ears is not what is happening.
I'm open to that possibility.
It's happened once or twice before.

10-01-2021, 08:28 AM   #1733
Loyal Site Supporter

And in other news:
Here in sunny Saskatchewan, we hit an all time record for losers yesterday with 602 new cases, 520 not vaccinated and 13 partially vaccinated. 68 were fully vaccinated.
Our health care system is officially collapsing under the load being put on it. ICU's are running way over capacity, even after increasing capacity as much as they can, hospitals outside of the urban centers are no longer accepting ICU patients and are very close to no longer accepting new patients at all.
The Sask Health Association is begging the government to invoke a complete lockdown for a couple of weeks to see if some of the load can be taken off of the system, but the brain trust that we call leadership here is insisting that it's all just fine, vaccinations are the one true way out of the pandemic, and there are no options beyond that to try to alleviate it somewhat.
Also, the federal government has offered to send help, but our dear leaders have refused to take it. I suspect this is tied to politics and not wanting to show weakness to the enemy.
Our premier seems to want to be a less decorative version of Kristi Noem in this regard.
10-01-2021, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #1734
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

possible break through

QuoteQuote:
HEALTH AND SCIENCE

Merck says its new Covid pill reduces the risk of hospitalization, death by half for some patients
PUBLISHED FRI, OCT 1 20216:01 AM EDTUPDATED 24 MIN AGO
Chloe Taylor

KEY POINTS
- A phase 3 trial of Merck and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics’ oral antiviral treatment molnupiravir showed it reduced the risk of hospitalization or death by around 50% in Covid patients.

- Merck plans to seek emergency use authorization in the U.S. and submit marketing applications to other global drug regulators.

- If authorized by regulatory bodies, molnupiravir could be the first oral antiviral medicine for Covid.

“The company, when they briefed us last night, had mentioned that they will be submitting their data to the FDA imminently,” White House chief medical advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci said at a Covid briefing Friday.

. . . The drug, molnupiravir, is administered orally and works by inhibiting the replication of the coronavirus inside the body.

An interim analysis of a phase 3 study found that 7.3% of patients treated with molnupiravir were hospitalized within 29 days. Of the patients who received a placebo, 14.1% were hospitalized or died by day 29. No deaths were reported in patients who were given molnupiravir within the 29-day period, while eight deaths were reported in placebo-treated patients. . . .

All 775 trial participants had laboratory-confirmed symptomatic Covid-19 and were randomly given molnupiravir or a placebo within five days of symptoms.

Every participant was unvaccinated and had at least one underlying factor that put them at greater risk of developing a more severe case of the virus. The most common risk factors included obesity, being over age 60 and having diabetes or heart disease.. . .

Molnupiravir’s efficacy was not affected by the timing of symptom onset or patients’ underlying risk factors, the study showed. It also proved to be consistently effective in treating all variants of Covid, including the widely dominant and highly transmissible delta strain.

Adverse events were comparable in the molnupiravir and placebo groups, with around 10% reporting adverse events. Just 1.3% of the molnupiravir group discontinued therapy due to an adverse event — less than the 3.4% of the placebo group who did so. . . .
Merck oral Covid treatment reduces risk of hospitalization, death by half for some patients
10-01-2021, 01:50 PM - 3 Likes   #1735
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
possible breakthrough

Just watch, the scaredy cats who refuse the vaccines will probably eat this up...

Chris
10-01-2021, 01:55 PM - 2 Likes   #1736
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Just watch, the scaredy cats who refuse the vaccines will probably eat this up...

Chris
I think you swallow it, not chew it
10-01-2021, 02:34 PM   #1737
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Our premier seems to want to be a less decorative version of Kristi Noem in this regard.
Sounds like your premier is taking inspiration from Kim Reynolds. And maybe in a race to the bottom with your neighbors to the west.
10-01-2021, 02:38 PM   #1738
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Sounds like your premier is taking inspiration from Kim Reynolds. And maybe in a race to the bottom with your neighbors to the west.
Both premiers are out of touch dopes.

You saw what I did there, right?
10-01-2021, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #1739
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife got her Pfizer-BioNTech-Comirnaty booster today. I got Moderna a couple of months later than her so I can wait and see what they do.
10-01-2021, 07:28 PM   #1740
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
My wife got her Pfizer-BioNTech-Comirnaty booster today. I got Moderna a couple of months later than her so I can wait and see what they do.
The Moderna trial is currently boostering their phase 3 participants. I went in yesterday for the jab and again today for a blood draw. (Blood draw per schedule would have been Sunday, but site isn’t open then and they are allowed to do early but not late ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.) Dose 2 for me was 19 February, so I’m a bit over 7 months out. Really, really mild side effects for me with this jab. Stiff shoulder and a tiny bit achy, but I took an Aleve this morning and was fine.
Closed Thread