Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3152 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2021, 05:10 PM   #1846
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Breaking news in the PNW:
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/despite-wary-labor-un...istered%20User

This is going to be interesting, there will be a lot of rhetoric and gnashing of teeth. (I.E. whining Remember, this is the place where during the 1918 epidemic if you were walking down the street WITHOUT a mask - the Police arrested you and put you in Jail - Which is NOT where you wanted to be, a crowded, semi-sanitary, close quartered facility)

---------- Post added 10-12-21 at 05:15 PM ----------

Also, here are the rules for attending concerts at Meany Center for the Performing Arts and the University of Washington.

https://meanycenter.org/visit/covid-safety

Not vaccinated? Better to not show up. I am not sure about sports on campus.

10-12-2021, 05:37 PM   #1847
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/despite-wary-labor-un...istered%20User

This is going to be interesting, there will be a lot of rhetoric and gnashing of teeth. (I.E. whining Remember, this is the place where during the 1918 epidemic if you were walking down the street WITHOUT a mask - the Police arrested you and put you in Jail - Which is NOT where you wanted to be, a crowded, semi-sanitary, close quartered facility)[COLOR="Silver"]
IBM also in a somewhat related news, IBM Will Follow Biden Vaccine Order, Defying Texas Ban - Bloomberg
Can't blame them because they are US government's contractors. In fact, can't blame the federal government either. If the hospital statewide/nationwide fill up with COVID cases, it would be a big problem for them again. It seems likes (to me) some people over there don't want to see the country economically getting out of this. I really want to see the US getting out of this and fully reopen asap because its economy has a big impact to almost every country in the world including Japan. The sooner she gets better, the better the world's economy will be. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by tokyoscape; 10-12-2021 at 06:01 PM.
10-12-2021, 10:43 PM - 1 Like   #1848
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote

This is going to be interesting, there will be a lot of rhetoric and gnashing of teeth. (I.E. whinning Remember, this is the place where during the 1918 epidemic if you were walking down the street WITHOUT a mask - the Police arrested you and put you in Jail - Which is NOT where you wanted to be, a crowded, semi-sanitary, close quartered facility)
It will be interesting to see how many suddenly acquire a "sincerely held religious belief".

10-13-2021, 02:05 AM - 2 Likes   #1849
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting how the owners of The Big Shed haven’t even made a public press release and it is already in the news.

Also interesting how many people who are willing to give up a secure, high paying job because of their steadfast refusal to get vaccinated. Like the guy whose wife lost her job (not in aerospace) because she refuses to get vaccinated, and now he will soon be unemployed. They have children too.

What about the children?

With so many businesses requiring vaccination, neither will be able to find work.

Stupid to stand so strongly against something, even if it means going to the poorhouse.

Looks like there will be more overtime for those of us who have already been vaccinated.

Just in time for the Christmas holidays!

10-13-2021, 02:18 AM   #1850
Pentaxian

Had a third (booster)jab,Pfizer as opposed to AZ for first two.Only a mild reaction so far.
10-13-2021, 02:29 AM   #1851
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I found this story of Allen West to be interesting. He is running for governor of Texas and is unvaccinated. His wife is vaccinated. They both got COVID and apparently he started on ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine. They both got monoclonal antibodies, but he required hospitalization while she did not. He is doing better now but still isn't willing to endorse vaccinations and instead think monoclonal antibodies are the way to go (despite the fact that they are over 2000 dollars a treatment). Allen West: GOP gubernatorial candidate released from hospital after Covid-19 diagnosis - CNNPolitics

I guess it is hard to admit that you were wrong and that maybe you would have had an easier time if you were vaccinated.
10-13-2021, 02:54 AM   #1852
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I found this story of Allen West to be interesting. He is running for governor of Texas and is unvaccinated. His wife is vaccinated. They both got COVID and apparently he started on ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine. They both got monoclonal antibodies, but he required hospitalization while she did not. He is doing better now but still isn't willing to endorse vaccinations and instead think monoclonal antibodies are the way to go (despite the fact that they are over 2000 dollars a treatment). Allen West: GOP gubernatorial candidate released from hospital after Covid-19 diagnosis - CNNPolitics

I guess it is hard to admit that you were wrong and that maybe you would have had an easier time if you were vaccinated.
Funny how people who probably think vaccines were rushed are happy to be given monoclonal antibodies.
"These are not all the possible side effects of*REGEN-COV. Not a lot of people have been given*REGEN-COV. Serious and unexpected side effects may happen.*REGEN-COV*is still being studied, so it is possible that all of the risks are not known at this time."

10-13-2021, 03:44 AM   #1853
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Stupid to stand so strongly against something, even if it means going to the poorhouse.
Some things have more value than others depending on the individual, I suppose.
10-13-2021, 04:37 AM   #1854
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Funny how people who probably think vaccines were rushed are happy to be given monoclonal antibodies.
"These are not all the possible side effects of*REGEN-COV. Not a lot of people have been given*REGEN-COV. Serious and unexpected side effects may happen.*REGEN-COV*is still being studied, so it is possible that all of the risks are not known at this time."
Monoclonal antibodies are, indeed, significantly more problematic than vaccines.

The safety and side effects of monoclonal antibodies - PubMed
Monoclonal Antibodies Hypersensitivity: Prevalence and Management - PubMed

The second link shows that a good bunch of commercial treatments of this type have an incidence of hypersensitivity (read: allergic) reactions of 2-20 per cent. Not "per million" like vaccines. Per hundred.

Yet some people want that expensive, last-line treatment just because it has not been endorsed by someone with differing opinions in unrelated topics? It's baffling, really.
10-13-2021, 05:33 AM   #1855
Veteran Member

Monoclonal antibodies are still under an EUA, while the Pfizer vaccine is fully approved by the FDA and Moderna should be in the not-too-distant future. I do think a big part of it is being unwilling to admit to having been wrong.
10-13-2021, 05:48 AM - 3 Likes   #1856
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Some things have more value than others depending on the individual, I suppose.
Kinda hard to pay the mortgage with “I refuse to get vaccinated “.
10-13-2021, 06:18 AM   #1857
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Monoclonal antibodies are, indeed, significantly more problematic than vaccines.

The safety and side effects of monoclonal antibodies - PubMed
Monoclonal Antibodies Hypersensitivity: Prevalence and Management - PubMed

The second link shows that a good bunch of commercial treatments of this type have an incidence of hypersensitivity (read: allergic) reactions of 2-20 per cent. Not "per million" like vaccines. Per hundred.

Yet some people want that expensive, last-line treatment just because it has not been endorsed by someone with differing opinions in unrelated topics? It's baffling, really.
I thought it was interesting that the indication is for mild to moderate outpatient treatment. I think it is based on this study: DEFINE_ME It showed a fifty percent reduction in hospitalizations due to COVID for people who got infusions versus those who didn't.

The hospitalization rate was actually pretty low for both groups -- 3.3 percent for the control group and 1.3 percent for the antibody group. Adverse reactions seemed pretty low out of the 650 patients who go the antibody infusions. Mortality was pretty significantly improved too, although the numbers of deaths were pretty low between both groups.

The reality is that we have given 400 million doses of vaccines in the US and if you give even 100 million doses of monoclonal antibodies, you are going to see some serious side effects show up in a handful of patients.
10-13-2021, 06:18 AM   #1858
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my first knowledge about large protests against vaccination against disease came from the protests in California against mandatory Measles vaccinations

this article is from that period but gives a history of protests against vaccination -
QuoteQuote:
Vaccination Resistance in Historical Perspective
ELENA CONIS

So-called anti-vaccinationists have gotten a lot of attention lately. This summer they were in the spotlight for protesting passage of California's new law eliminating personal and religious exemptions to required vaccines. They were blamed for the nationwide measles outbreak that originated in Disneyworld earlier this year; before that, they were blamed for the upsurge in pertussis, or whooping cough, cases across the United States over the last few years. Follow the news and social-media chatter on such outbreaks of vaccine-preventable diseases, and you'll see people who resist or delay vaccines for their children being called "ignorant," "selfish," "stupid," and much worse.

You'll also see, repeated over and over again, an explanation as to how this all began. Parents with vaccine worries, we're told, are those gullible enough to believe vaccine-skeptical celebrities such as Jenny McCarthy and a now-discredited British doctor, Andrew Wakefield, who published a since-retracted study on a link between the MMR vaccine and autism back in 1998.

But this explanation is inaccurate. It also disregards history. Both the Wakefield study and McCarthy's prominence as a vaccine skeptic were the products—not the cause—of today's parental vaccine worries, which date back to the 1960s (and earlier). (1) The vaccination skepticism of today is rooted in the social movements of the postwar era, which prompted a new generation of parents (and their children) to question environmental contaminants, drugs, doctors, and authority in general. Moreover, today's vaccination skepticism is an understandable response to late-twentieth-century trends in childrearing, a steadily growing mandatory vaccination schedule, and continually expanding rationales for vaccinating against disease.

But before I explain all that, it's also worth noting that vaccination resistance is nothing new. Popular doubts about vaccines and suspicions about the motives behind their use are as old as vaccines themselves. The very first vaccine, which protected against smallpox, was developed in England in the late eighteenth century; it consisted of pus taken from a cowpox blister, which was inserted into a small cut in the skin. As word of the new procedure spread, it was met with enthusiasm but also dread. While many patients and physicians were eager to fend off one of that era's most feared diseases, many others balked at the prospect of contaminating their healthy bodies with disease matter from an animal. . . .
https://www.oah.org/tah/issues/2015/august/vaccination-resistance/
10-13-2021, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #1859
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Monoclonal antibodies are still under an EUA, while the Pfizer vaccine is fully approved by the FDA and Moderna should be in the not-too-distant future. I do think a big part of it is being unwilling to admit to having been wrong.
Doctors all agree that prevention is better than curing afterwards, but some people want to see something occur rather than believing that things are working unseen.
10-13-2021, 08:13 AM - 2 Likes   #1860
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

So today at The Big Shed the hot topic of discussion is all those who aren’t going to get vaccinated whining about how “they” can’t force us to get a shot.

So many shortsighted people who care only about themselves and not a bit about humanity as a whole.

Gonna get real quiet here after December 8.
Closed Thread