Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2021, 03:43 AM - 3 Likes   #1876
Loyal Site Supporter

That and people treating Facebook as a legitimate medical journal.

10-14-2021, 06:00 AM   #1877
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the 1970's I tagged along with a Trekkie friend and endured
a live stage performance by said party at a Star Trek convention.

Something about whales IIRC...

Chris
10-14-2021, 07:19 AM   #1878
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
In the 1970's I tagged along with a Trekkie friend and endured
a live stage performance by said party at a Star Trek convention.

Something about whales IIRC...

Chris
I know a few people who go to Comic Cons. They have nicknamed him Captain Jerk.
10-14-2021, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #1879
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I know of a lot of COVID cases and some 6 so far of close friends or associates. There are probably many others which just don't come up in conversation, but based on the actual number of cases of those I know, I would say COVID is a concocted disease and few have to worry.

Now the flip side - Of those I know who have had it, none were vaccinated, and it didn't go well for them. Maybe I should say it did because all of those 6 but 2 lived, however they suffered greatly and some probably will continue to suffer for some time. In the state where I live, the main COVID hospital wards (2) are in a major city. All serious cases (those needing hospitalization) are sent there. Those wards are currently overwhelmed and there are around 50 deaths per day. They made national news last week and the head doctor (intubation area) said that if a patient saw her, their chances were slightly less than 50% of survival. ALL of their patients are unvaccinated. Yesterday, our state had the highest number of reported cases (in a single day) since the pandemic began.

COVID is not fading away. COVID is a serious disease. COVID is real. COVID can make comebacks. COVID can mutate. COVID can kill. COVID is contagious, COVID can be prevented!!!!

I find it very frustrating to see the choices people in my state are making. It's bad enough for those who refuse vaccination, but worse for those who are put in charge and go against medical recommendations. Several of our county medical boards which are grouped together, replaced a doctor who was in favor of vaccinations with a charlatan doctor so "the board would have a balanced opinion" in not supporting vaccination programs in schools and businesses. These actions help spread the convictions that vaccination is a bad thing, and encourage violence toward medical workers who are trying to save their sorry A's when they end up in those COVID wards.

Oh well, just me venting.

Last edited by Bob 256; 10-14-2021 at 07:54 AM.
10-14-2021, 08:09 AM   #1880
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
. . . COVID is not fading away. COVID is a serious disease. COVID is real. COVID can make comebacks. COVID can mutate. COVID can kill. COVID is contagious, COVID can be prevented!!!! . . . .
forgot one thing

those who survive covid may develop long term problems

QuoteQuote:
Explainer-What researchers say about the long-term effects of COVID-19
Manojna Maddipatla
Thu, October 7, 2021, 2:01 PM. . .

Among the most common persistent symptoms are fatigue, shortness of breath, and cognitive problems. Others include chest pain, problems with smell or taste, muscle weakness and heart palpitations. Long COVID generally has an impact on everyday functioning.

The WHO's definition may change as new evidence emerges and as understanding of the consequences of COVID-19 continues to evolve. A separate definition may be applicable for children, the agency said.

HOW COMMON IS LONG COVID?

The exact number of affected people is not known. A study from Oxford University Incidence, co-occurrence, and evolution of long-COVID features: A 6-month retrospective cohort study of 273,618 survivors of COVID-19 of more than 270,000 COVID-19 survivors found at least one long-term symptom in 37%, with symptoms more frequent among people who had required hospitalization.

A separate study from Harvard University Evolving phenotypes of non-hospitalized patients that indicate long COVID | BMC Medicine | Full Text involving more than 52,000 COVID-19 survivors whose infections had been only mild or asymptomatic suggests that long COVID conditions may more often affect patients under age 65. . . .
Explainer-What researchers say about the long-term effects of COVID-19

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-14-2021 at 08:41 AM.
10-14-2021, 11:01 AM   #1881
Pentaxian

I fear we in the UK are sleepwalking towards another lockdown,too many people seem to be in denial about the fact that COVID hasn’t just “gone away”.
10-14-2021, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #1882
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I know of a lot of COVID cases and some 6 so far of close friends or associates. There are probably many others which just don't come up in conversation, but based on the actual number of cases of those I know, I would say COVID is a concocted disease and few have to worry.

Now the flip side - Of those I know who have had it, none were vaccinated, and it didn't go well for them. Maybe I should say it did because all of those 6 but 2 lived, however they suffered greatly and some probably will continue to suffer for some time. In the state where I live, the main COVID hospital wards (2) are in a major city. All serious cases (those needing hospitalization) are sent there. Those wards are currently overwhelmed and there are around 50 deaths per day. They made national news last week and the head doctor (intubation area) said that if a patient saw her, their chances were slightly less than 50% of survival. ALL of their patients are unvaccinated. Yesterday, our state had the highest number of reported cases (in a single day) since the pandemic began.

COVID is not fading away. COVID is a serious disease. COVID is real. COVID can make comebacks. COVID can mutate. COVID can kill. COVID is contagious, COVID can be prevented!!!!

I find it very frustrating to see the choices people in my state are making. It's bad enough for those who refuse vaccination, but worse for those who are put in charge and go against medical recommendations. Several of our county medical boards which are grouped together, replaced a doctor who was in favor of vaccinations with a charlatan doctor so "the board would have a balanced opinion" in not supporting vaccination programs in schools and businesses. These actions help spread the convictions that vaccination is a bad thing, and encourage violence toward medical workers who are trying to save their sorry A's when they end up in those COVID wards.

Oh well, just me venting.
I just returned from a family gathering for birthdays. Ages for my family members celebrating ranged from 80 to 57 all of us are vaccinated.
We had a great time. The two flights were "routine", if wearing a N95 mask for the duration is "routine". No fusses on the flights.
Once we got to Colorado, the majority of people were not masked and looked at us like we were from Mars. We did get into a hotel elevator with a couple and they fell all over themselves stating that they were vaccinated. I told them it was just a habit for us (WA state has a state wide mask mandate while in groups - so yeah it is a habit)

Anyway, my niece is a nurse (in Wyoming) and during one of our COVID-19 conversations she started to cry and said that she was "so tired of watching people die". So add PTSD to the "long term" effects of the pandemic. The mental health of first responders is under huge pressure and they are going to carry this pain with them for decades to come.

Get vaccinated - NOW.

10-14-2021, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #1883
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
. . . Anyway, my niece is a nurse (in Wyoming) and during one of our COVID-19 conversations she started to cry and said that she was "so tired of watching people die". So add PTSD to the "long term" effects of the pandemic. The mental health of first responders is under huge pressure and they are going to carry this pain with them for decades to come.

Get vaccinated - NOW.
Tell her thank you for her service

All health care workers are feeling the strain

Not to mention those who serve their communities on local school boards, city councils and other positions caught in the middle of the dispute of what to do
10-14-2021, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #1884
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

All health care workers are feeling the strain
Last year, in Spain during the first wave (which was *deadly*), they saw the infection rates among hospital personnel and... the situation was grim enough that our regional government was considering the option of moving Medicine and Nursing undergrads in their last year (so 22-year olds) to full-time hospital duty, just to get extra hands on deck. Heck, even my mother and others who stopped practicing years or decades ago (usually to move to teaching) were willing to get re-licensed and go back into the breach if push came to shove. Luckily, people complied very well in the first lockdowns and then the system was far better prepared.

People, in general, just don't see what it means to have healthcare collapsing. It's not a pretty thought.
10-14-2021, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #1885
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I fear we in the UK are sleepwalking towards another lockdown,too many people seem to be in denial about the fact that COVID hasn’t just “gone away”.
We should have been in lockdown a month ago, but we aren't, and now they are talking about having to start triaging patients within days and are negotiating with the provinces to the east of us to take our overflow patients.
The irony of all this is that in March of last year, well before we had any sort of significant numbers of cases, we were locked down for 6 weeks or more.
Now that we are in the middle of a disaster, the dear leaders are hiding in the Marble Palace, hoping it is all just a dream.
10-14-2021, 02:39 PM   #1886
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
We should have been in lockdown a month ago, but we aren't, and now they are talking about having to start triaging patients within days and are negotiating with the provinces to the east of us to take our overflow patients.

The irony of all this is that in March of last year, well before we had any sort of significant numbers of cases, we were locked down for 6 weeks or more.

Now that we are in the middle of a disaster, the dear leaders are hiding in the Marble Palace, hoping it is all just a dream.
Now they hope the vaccine will take care of everything, that seems to be the thinking in the UK..........until it isn't.l

10-14-2021, 02:48 PM   #1887
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Now they hope the vaccine will take care of everything, that seems to be the thinking in the UK..........until it isn't.l
We have 30% of our population who get their medical information from facebook, and another 10% or so who are too young to get vaccinated.
With only a 60% vaccination rate, we are, to put it kindly, screwed.
10-14-2021, 02:54 PM   #1888
PDL
Pentaxian

Just in:
To align with my previous post #1841:
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/large-events-in-washington-...istered%20User

No vaccine no NFL, NHL or UW football. Maybe we will see a break when Baseball starts in the spring.

Remember, peer review does not equate to "likes".

Get Vaccinated - NOW
10-15-2021, 03:27 AM   #1889
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That and sheeple treating Facebook as a legitimate medical journal.
There, fixed!
10-15-2021, 01:30 PM - 2 Likes   #1890
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
No vaccine no NFL, NHL or UW football. Maybe we will see a break when Baseball starts in the spring.
If they could add and enforce no watching football/baseball on TV unless at least 1 shot of vaccine you the world might stand a chance.

Here, we are approaching 70% first dose where we will start easing restrictions (fully? open at 80% double dose, about early Nov) and too many people are acting like it's all over already even though we have the highest infection rates ever.

And yes, it's the healthcare workers who will carry the heaviest load.

Society is screwed, people don't seem to care what damage their actions causes to others. I have RIGHTS without responsibilities seems to be the new order.

All the data out there says you would have to be insane not to get vaccinated if you can. And wearing a mask so that you reduce the chance of infecting others is just plain good manners if nothing else.
Closed Thread