Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3152 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2021, 05:17 PM   #1891
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Just in:
To align with my previous post #1841:
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/large-events-in-washington-...istered%20User

No vaccine no NFL, NHL or UW football. Maybe we will see a break when Baseball starts in the spring.

Remember, peer review does not equate to "likes".

Get Vaccinated - NOW
Our dear leaders have some more restrictions on the way next week for the unvaccinated. Sadly, grocery stores are not included in places you need to be vaccinated to enter. Really, I think that should be the first place that gets restricted. People would come around once they started running out of food.

10-15-2021, 06:59 PM   #1892
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My state's hospital beds are filling up again. Calling in the National Guard to help cope.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/minnesota/articles/2021-10-15/walz-t...covid-19-surge
10-16-2021, 02:38 AM - 2 Likes   #1893
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just returned from a family gathering for birthdays. Ages for my family members celebrating ranged from 80 to 57 all of us are vaccinated.
We had a great time. The two flights were "routine", if wearing a N95 mask for the duration is "routine". No fusses on the flights.
Once we got to Colorado, the majority of people were not masked and looked at us like we were from Mars. We did get into a hotel elevator with a couple and they fell all over themselves stating that they were vaccinated. I told them it was just a habit for us (WA state has a state wide mask mandate while in groups - so yeah it is a habit)

Anyway, my niece is a nurse (in Wyoming) and during one of our COVID-19 conversations she started to cry and said that she was "so tired of watching people die". So add PTSD to the "long term" effects of the pandemic. The mental health of first responders is under huge pressure and they are going to carry this pain with them for decades to come.

Get vaccinated - NOW.
It breaks my heart. I was talking to an ICU nurse in her late 30s from Lynchburg last week and she started crying and told me she doesn't know if she can go on. Nearly every shift she has had to put one of her patients in a body bag or help another nurse do the same. She isn't sleeping well any more and can't relax, even when she isn't at work.

I don't think people understand the stress that caring for two or three ventilated, proned COVID patients can be. These nurses care so much and then they see people on social media accusing them of killing patients by putting them on ventilators and denying them ivermectin.

It'll be shocking if there aren't a lot of them who have PTSD after all is said and done.
10-16-2021, 03:42 AM - 2 Likes   #1894
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some good news

In New York City COVID hospital admissions are now at their lowest level since the start of the pandemic.

Chris

10-16-2021, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #1895
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a docent at the zoo today all day first time in about a year

zoo recommendation: masks inside buildings and when social distancing cannot be maintained

we are told not to try to enforce

I have had 2 pfizer shots, last one in April, will be getting third at the end of the month

I will be outside, fully masked and maintaining social distance at the bear exhibit which is a long boardwalk overlooking the enclosure

Kansas

as of 10/15/21

60 % of population with 1 + doses

total cases 424,081

new 1,819

total deaths 6,169

7 day trend flat

my county - Shawnee

total cases 25,162

new 56

total deaths 455

7 day trend falling

QuoteQuote:
States ranked by COVID-19 hospitalization rates: Oct. 15

New daily COVID-19 hospitalization rates in the U.S. have decreased 20 percent over the last two weeks, though nine states are still seeing hospitalization rates trend upward, according to data tracked by The New York Times.

Data is taken from HHS and was last updated Oct. 15. States are listed in order of hospitalization rate percent increase over the last two weeks. . . .

Kansas
14-day change: 18 percent decrease
Hospitalizations per 100,000 people: 18
https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/states-ranked-by-covid-1...-august-2.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-16-2021 at 05:11 AM.
10-18-2021, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #1896
PDL
Pentaxian

Breaking updates, WSU Football coach fired for not following state employee mandate to be vaccinated. His request for a religious exception was denied. Today 2021/10/18 was the date that all State employee's had to be vaccinated.
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wsu-cougar-football/report-wsu-football-...istered%20User

In other news: Mandates are legal in WA.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/judge-denies-last-minute-effort-to...ccine-mandate/

Seattle WA 99% compliance with vaccination mandate:
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/seattle-touts-99-compliance-with-e...fore-deadline/

From a few days ago: Not related to Statewide mandate, but Federal mandate.
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/workers-protest-angri...ation-mandate/

Get Vaccinated.
10-18-2021, 06:47 PM   #1897
Loyal Site Supporter

Breaking updates, WSU Football coach fired for not following state employee mandate to be vaccinated. His request for a religious exception was denied. Today 2021/10/18 was the date that all State employee's had to be vaccinated.
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wsu-cougar-football/report-wsu-football-...istered%20User

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/judge-denies-last-minute-effort-to...ccine-mandate/

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/seattle-touts-99-compliance-with-e...fore-deadline/

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/workers-protest-angri...ation-mandate/

Get Vaccinated.
It amazes me. Every state in the USA has a vaccine mandate, and no one ever complains.
Why would anyone think this is different?

10-18-2021, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #1898
Inactive Account

Get Vaccinated.
Seeing news links above and a kind of sad. So many don't want to get a shot and don't want to wear mask either!
On another hands, as a foreigner in Japan, I am thankful people here don't have such disastrous attitude. Number of fully vaccinated keep going up. Now at almost 76%, while public have no problem wearing mask regales. We never have a lockdown since day1, no vaccine mandate, people just do what need to be done to get out of this together, and it seems to work as the number of new cases in Tokyo fell to only 40 cases yesterday. Don't forget Tokyo is one of the densest place on earth. It has about 6,158 persons per square kilometer (or 16,121.8 per square mile) That's like put the population of New York and Los Angeles into an area about 1/10 the size. Imagine if people in the news which seems to live in a lot less dense area, instead of anti-vaccine, anti-masking, just go get the free vaccine and wearing mask in public for a few months, the whole city / country might already get rid of covid long ago.
10-18-2021, 09:34 PM   #1899
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It amazes me. Every state in the USA has a vaccine mandate, and no one ever complains.
Your statement is simply not true.
There is a federal mandate for vaccines, but only for Federal employees or the companies supporting the federal government or their departments. The Boeing mandate is Federal because they build aircraft for the DOD. The State (WA) mandate only covers state employees and in this case not the workers at Boeing. The WSU coach is was the highest paid state employee (3.2 million USD). There is also a state mandate to wear masks.

Idaho, the state to the right of WA, has virtually no mandates.
EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 2021-07 – Terminating Mask Mandates Based on the COVID-19 Emergency | Office of the Idaho Lt. Governor
https://www.kmvt.com/2021/09/23/idaho-lawmakers-look-ways-nullify-vaccine-mandates/
10-18-2021, 11:44 PM   #1900
Pentaxian

Your statement is simply not true.

There is a federal mandate for vaccines, but only for Federal employees or the companies supporting the federal government or their departments. The Boeing mandate is Federal because they build aircraft for the DOD. The State (WA) mandate only covers state employees and in this case not the workers at Boeing. The WSU coach is was the highest paid state employee (3.2 million USD). There is also a state mandate to wear masks.

Idaho, the state to the right of WA, has virtually no mandates.

EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 2021-07 – Terminating Mask Mandates Based on the COVID-19 Emergency | Office of the Idaho Lt. Governor

https://www.kmvt.com/2021/09/23/idaho-lawmakers-look-ways-nullify-vaccine-mandates/
It is true. The statement didn't say Covid-19 vaccine.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/vaccine-mandates-place-attend-school-us/story?id=80046650

10-19-2021, 01:46 AM   #1901
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

States differ greatly with regard to vaccines. Federal employees have vaccine requirements and many private employers are also requiring them, but states like Florida and Texas and Idaho have been decidedly hands off when it comes to vaccinations. While their state officials are uniformly vaccinated (both Republican and Democrat), they are not willing to say any kind of a mandate is in order for fear of upsetting their base.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott bans COVID-19 vaccine mandates | The Texas Tribune.

It really saddens me because these officials know that vaccines save lives but they are too afraid to take a firm stand on the subject.
10-19-2021, 05:41 AM   #1902
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
. . . It really saddens me because these officials know that vaccines save lives but they are too afraid to take a firm stand on the subject.
It is truly a sad state of affairs
10-19-2021, 06:26 AM   #1903
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I know of a lot of COVID cases and some 6 so far of close friends or associates. There are probably many others which just don't come up in conversation, but based on the actual number of cases of those I know, I would say COVID is a concocted disease and few have to worry.

Now the flip side - Of those I know who have had it, none were vaccinated, and it didn't go well for them. Maybe I should say it did because all of those 6 but 2 lived, however they suffered greatly and some probably will continue to suffer for some time. In the state where I live, the main COVID hospital wards (2) are in a major city. All serious cases (those needing hospitalization) are sent there. Those wards are currently overwhelmed and there are around 50 deaths per day. They made national news last week and the head doctor (intubation area) said that if a patient saw her, their chances were slightly less than 50% of survival. ALL of their patients are unvaccinated. Yesterday, our state had the highest number of reported cases (in a single day) since the pandemic began.

COVID is not fading away. COVID is a serious disease. COVID is real. COVID can make comebacks. COVID can mutate. COVID can kill. COVID is contagious, COVID can be prevented!!!!

I find it very frustrating to see the choices people in my state are making. It's bad enough for those who refuse vaccination, but worse for those who are put in charge and go against medical recommendations. Several of our county medical boards which are grouped together, replaced a doctor who was in favor of vaccinations with a charlatan doctor so "the board would have a balanced opinion" in not supporting vaccination programs in schools and businesses. These actions help spread the convictions that vaccination is a bad thing, and encourage violence toward medical workers who are trying to save their sorry A's when they end up in those COVID wards.

Oh well, just me venting.
From Florida to Texas, the uneducated ‘base’ rules.
10-19-2021, 06:32 AM   #1904
Pentaxian

Not true at all.
We have literal fist-fights even at local school meetings where the uneducated insist on their way.
The ‘uneducated’ rule, but they can vote also.
They prefer medicine to “do something” after being infected to vaccine and masking defense.
10-19-2021, 07:00 AM - 2 Likes   #1905
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know one person who got the disease and got over it. His doctor told him that he does not need the vaccination because he already has COVID antibodies in his system. Why should he be subjected to an arbitrary government or private sector mandate? On top of that there is research that shows that those people who already have COVID antibodies have a greater risk of an adverse reaction to the vaccine.

Do we have the right to force a vaccination on him?

Was his doctor lying to him?

How long does natural immunity last?

How long does artificially induced immunity last?

Should a doctor's note exempt him from the vaccine mandates?

I do think that those people who have had the disease and recovered should be counted among the vaccinated until there is definite medical research saying otherwise.

Here is a link to an article published last month by Gallup. Full of numbers that show unvaccinated people right on some things and vaccinated people right on others. On some issues democrats are more accurate and on some republican are more accurate. Interesting stuff here including mentioning a study by medical scholars that booster shots are not needed at this time. In any event, an interesting read.

U.S. Adults' Estimates of COVID-19 Hospitalization Risk
Closed Thread