Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3152 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2021, 02:18 PM   #1936
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don’t claim to understand - merely reporting what I see. People who presumably follow MMR mandates get in literal fist-fights {as reported in local news} over Covid mandates. When I go to the local “Meijers” {a Michigan-based big box store}, I walk past a sign on the entrance door asking everyone to mask - and my wife and I may be the only two people in the store wearing masks {the lady ‘sanitizing’ carts may not even be masked}.
Again, you have read to respond rather than to understand.

10-20-2021, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #1937
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Again, you have read to respond rather than to understand.
I thought he was agreeing with you.......

10-20-2021, 05:41 PM - 2 Likes   #1938
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
I thought he was agreeing with you.......
Perhaps I am reading to respond rather than understand. It wouldn't be the first time.
10-20-2021, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #1939
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I've always felt that one of the issues with scientists (let's be generous and assume they are educated) being typically bad at getting their ideas across to the general population is that many forget that you're not talking to another scientist who understands the subtext of what we're saying. If you hear "we theorize that..." it means "so far there's no other better explanation, trust us, we've tried". It doesn't mean "well it's a wild guess".

Another issue is that the deeper you go in a field, the more it becomes painfully clear that you know squat about so much. Personally, a substantial part of my work is in energy storage devices, specifically capacitors. But I ended up researching that by rebounding and I've learned as I go for years - it's not my "real" expertise. When discussing with colleagues, I always make it clear that, on a good day, I know undergraduate-level electrochemical theory and I have minimal practical experience with, for example, batteries. I just can't follow the intricacies of a research paper without some extra explanations. It usually gets me treated like a novice PhD instead of a senior one.

If I put the same asterisks to my knowledge when talking to random people, some assume I have the same qualifications as they do from facebook.
I would add two more complications: medicine is never quite the same from person to person, and statistics. The best vaccine (or worst disease) will never work on everyone to the same level. Studies can produce numbers that make colorful graphs and charts, yet be compete garbage. It's hard to convince ordinary people after they've seen the nice chart that it's meaningless.

10-21-2021, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #1940
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For what it's worth, there really are a high number of people in certain locales who got exemptions for themselves and their families from vaccines. They were pretty easy to get and there are doctors who will sign off on them carte blanche. Unless you work in health care, most jobs don't require proof of vaccination status with regard to anything but COVID. I doubt Boeing cares if people are up to date on their Hepatitis B and A vaccines, etc.

I think this is why there is so much more of a deal with the COVID vaccines. People are afraid that the day will come when you can't enter your grocery store without showing a vaccine card, I think that's unlikely. Grocery stores didn't even do a particularly good job of enforcing masking, why are they going to be picking fights with people about their vaccine status?

As for the military folks, I would be surprised if many of them put up a fuss over getting COVID vaccinated. They already get tons of vaccines -- depending on where they serve, they may need to take things like rabies, anthrax, yellow fever, and others that aren't in standard childhood vaccine regimens. As far as I can tell, 95 percent of active military in the US have at least started the vaccine series.
10-21-2021, 06:51 AM   #1941
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

just read about a new coronavirus variant being closely monitored in the US, UK, and Israel

AY.4.2 - " still rare in US "

“It is well below 0.05 percent of all our sequenced viruses, with less than 10 reported in our database so far,”

according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

its parent linage AY.4 represents " about 11 % of the Delta viruses in the US per CDC "

AY.4.2 " has two changes located on the viral spike protein . . . there is no evidence that the sublineage AY.4.2 impacts the effectiveness of our current vaccines or therapeutics "

https://www.science-atlas.com/news/cdc-confirms-new-delta-subtype-ay-4-2-has...ied-in-the-us/

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-21-2021 at 06:57 AM.
10-21-2021, 07:16 AM   #1942
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
just read about a new coronavirus variant being closely monitored in the US, UK, and Israel

AY.4.2 - " still rare in US "

“It is well below 0.05 percent of all our sequenced viruses, with less than 10 reported in our database so far,”

according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

its parent linage AY.4 represents " about 11 % of the Delta viruses in the US per CDC "

AY.4.2 " has two changes located on the viral spike protein . . . there is no evidence that the sublineage AY.4.2 impacts the effectiveness of our current vaccines or therapeutics "

CDC Confirms New Delta Subtype ?AY.4.2? Has Been Identified in The US - science atlas
The funny thing to me is that anti vaccine folks like Robert Malone are blaming new variants on vaccinated people. They claim that vaccines place evolutionary stress on the virus that pushes it mutate.

They are deliberately dense in their understanding. Mutations are something that happens with every organism. The question is how frequently those mutations are passed on. It is clear that vaccinations reduce the length of time that the virus is multiplying in a person and therefore reduces the chance that the mutations are passed on.

10-21-2021, 08:04 AM   #1943
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The funny thing to me is that anti vaccine folks like Robert Malone are blaming new variants on vaccinated people. They claim that vaccines place evolutionary stress on the virus that pushes it mutate.

They are deliberately dense in their understanding. Mutations are something that happens with every organism. The question is how frequently those mutations are passed on. It is clear that vaccinations reduce the length of time that the virus is multiplying in a person and therefore reduces the chance that the mutations are passed on.
The Andromeda Strain
10-21-2021, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #1944
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Typically over time we should see COVID become more contagious and less toxic. Part of that is going to come, simply because a high percentage of people will be at least partially immune, either because of vaccination or because of having lived through an infection.

Something that I do wonder is how monoclonal antibody infusions affect long term immunity to COVID. I saw this story where a Jewish talk show host deliberately got infected with COVID and then got monoclonal antibodies, believing this will give him better long term immunity to COVID. Conservative radio host says he caught COVID on purpose My guess is that his immune response will actually be less due to the antibody infusion and maybe he won't have the long term immunity that he hopes for.
10-21-2021, 08:53 AM   #1945
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

it's a press release so take it for what you think it is worth

QuoteQuote:
Pfizer says its booster shot has 95.6% efficacy against COVID-19 amid the Delta variant

Pfizer said fully vaccinated people who got an extra dose of its vaccine were at much lower risk of COVID-19.
The findings come from Pfizer's late-stage trial of more than 10,000 people aged 16 and older.
The study hasn't yet been published or formally scrutinized by other experts.

Fully vaccinated people who received a booster dose of Pfizer's shot in a large trial were at much lower risk of catching COVID-19, the company said Thursday.

This group was at a 95.6% lower risk of catching COVID-19 than fully vaccinated people who received a dummy vaccine, called a placebo, instead of the booster, the company said.

It reported no safety concerns from the trial.

"These are the first efficacy results from any randomized, controlled COVID-19 vaccine booster trial," Pfizer said in the press release, adding that it planned to submit the data to health authorities.
Pfizer: Booster Shot Has 95.6% Efficacy Against COVID-19

btw I have no ownership interest in the company that produces any such vaccine
10-21-2021, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #1946
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Typically over time we should see COVID become more contagious and less toxic. Part of that is going to come, simply because a high percentage of people will be at least partially immune, either because of vaccination or because of having lived through an infection.

Something that I do wonder is how monoclonal antibody infusions affect long term immunity to COVID. I saw this story where a Jewish talk show host deliberately got infected with COVID and then got monoclonal antibodies, believing this will give him better long term immunity to COVID. Conservative radio host says he caught COVID on purpose My guess is that his immune response will actually be less due to the antibody infusion and maybe he won't have the long term immunity that he hopes for.
Something I wonder is do the people who embrace monoclonal antibodies rather than vaccines know where these concoctions originate?
The irony is the cross culture between anti vaccine proponenents, the right wing political spectrrum and their beliefs and the origins of monoclonal antibodies coming from medically terminated fetuses.
I expect they are deliberately ignorant of that.
As for monoclonal antobodies giving a person a better immunity to viruses, I suspect it is akin to a bulletproof vest giving a person better immunity to bullets. It works if you have the vest available next time, not so much if you don't.
10-21-2021, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #1947
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Something I wonder is do the people who embrace monoclonal antibodies rather than vaccines know where these concoctions originate?
The irony is the cross culture between anti vaccine proponenents, the right wing political spectrrum and their beliefs and the origins of monoclonal antibodies coming from medically terminated fetuses.
As for monoclonal antobodies giving a person a better immunity to viruses, I suspect it is akin to a bulletproof vest giving a person better immunity to bullets. It works if you have the vest available next time, not so much if you don't.
It was long conversation
As I read monoclonal antibody very effective for treatment Delta variation
As early stage treatment product from company Regeneron
They stay 34/45 day and slowly go down in 6 months
Vaccine with boost work much much longer
Plus much cheaper
Nobody did mass study level antibody after monoclone therapy vs vaccine
Also I can t find out study reinfection Covid after monoclone therapy vs vaccine innoculatef
10-21-2021, 02:25 PM   #1948
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
A Texas university clinical trial is examining the effectiveness of ivermectin in fighting against COVID-19 symptoms, with hopes of determining if the controversial drug can be a helpful tool in combating the pandemic.The National Institutes of Health granted Texas Tech University's Health Sciences Center El Paso $1.7 million to spearhead clinical trials that include two projects: ACTIV-6, a nationwide study that includes ivermectin, and a local initiative planned by the university, The Washington Post reported Thursday.

The ACTIV-6 study, which started June 8, is examining the effectiveness of three drugs, including ivermectin, the antiparasitic medication that has sparked controversy in the U.S. over some unauthorized use to treat the coronavirus.

While ivermectin is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat humans for parasitic worms, lice and skin conditions including rosacea, it is more often used to help animals, including cattle and horses.

The study is also examining fluvoxamine, a drug that has been prescribed for depression, and fluticasone, a steroid that is sometimes used to treat asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, according to the Post. . . .
Texas clinical trial to examine ivermectin in fight against COVID-19 symptoms

Query

if the results are not favorable, will those backing the deworming medicine believe the results ?
10-21-2021, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #1949
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, we could say the monoclonal antibodies buys you 90 days of fish, the vaccines buy you a boat, fishing tackle, and a course for how to use them. I guess I'm just asking the question if you get a natural infection and then get an antibody infusion that mostly wipes out the virus, will your immune response be weak enough that it won't last particularly long.

(Studies already indicate that people over 65 only have 40 percent immunity after a natural infection at the 9 month mark).
10-21-2021, 02:32 PM   #1950
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Texas clinical trial to examine ivermectin in fight against COVID-19 symptoms

Query

if the results are not favorable, will those backing the deworming medicine believe the results ?
They are spending 1.7 million dollars on this.....

Closed Thread