Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3152 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2021, 07:22 AM   #1981
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
As of yesterday, our health care system has gone into what they call second stage triage. This means people will be sorted out at admission based on their possibility of recovery from whatever has brought them in.
If you are on the wrong side of the line, so sad for you.
We are shifting several patients a day to ICUs in different provinces, and have been for nearly a week.
Our dear leaders aren't seeing a problem here. They keep coming up with the same pap on a daily basis, which is, in essence, they are done trying, we are on our own.
Yes, Covid is serious. In May 2020 our local hospitals erected tents at their entrances so they could triage incoming patients before they ever got in the door. As far as I know, their processes remain.

BTW - I got my ‘booster’ shot last evening. Still, I’m not magnetic.

10-23-2021, 07:32 AM   #1982
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the obvious point is that COVID (the virus) is experimental too. No one wanted to have to come up with fixes for this virus, but at this point the US is sitting on around 750,000 deaths since the pandemic started due to COVID. That's nearly twice as many US citizens as lost their lives in World War II.

There are risks of vaccination, but they need to be compared to the risk of catching COVID and uniformly we see that the risk of COVID is significantly worse for everything that is reported for the vaccine with the exception of lymph node swelling
We personally know a family where a college-age son accidentally brought home the virus at Halloween last year. The wife used to jog - as far as I know she is still plagued by heart rate issues, and can barely walk across the room. As far as I know, her daughters {one twenty-something, one a teenager} still replace her for some activities.
10-23-2021, 09:22 AM - 2 Likes   #1983
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
BTW - I got my ‘booster’ shot last evening. Still, I’m not magnetic.
I haven't had my booster yet. I just hope it doesn't result in anything like the extra thumb growing out of my forehead or gills on my abdomen that the initial vaccine caused.
10-23-2021, 12:30 PM - 4 Likes   #1984
Pentaxian

I got a vaccine shot for some invisible virus I could spread unknowingly to others. What is next? Should food service HAVE to wash their hands with chemicals including dihydrogen monoxide in case some invisible poop is going to spread hepatitis, or legionnaires disease? Next hair nets will be required just in case someone gets a hair in their food. Imagine the uproar that will happen when that is mandated!

10-23-2021, 12:37 PM - 4 Likes   #1985
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Should food service HAVE to wash their hands with chemicals including dihydrogen monoxide in case some invisible poop is going to spread hepatitis,
Oh, c'mon! Invisible organisms spreading disease? SERIOUSLY? Joseph Lister was a hack and a fraud.
10-23-2021, 04:07 PM - 2 Likes   #1986
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I haven't had my booster yet. I just hope it doesn't result in anything like the extra thumb growing out of my forehead or gills on my abdomen that the initial vaccine caused.

If only you'd had those gills when you were on the swim team.
Olympic gold perhaps?

Chris
10-23-2021, 04:48 PM - 7 Likes   #1987
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In my county in the US, in May we were down to 10 cases per 100,000 and a positivity rate of 1% ….. but some people “returned to normal” too soon. My wife and I even started throwing away masks when the elastic wore out. But with a combination of a vaccination rate that never got over 50%, no masking even in indoor situations, and an unwillingness to maintain ‘social distancing’ {when a woman complained that my shopping cart was in such a place that she had to stand too far away in line, I told her that ‘social distancing’ is “still a thing”}, now we are around 200 cases per 100,000 and a positivity rate over 9%. Actually things were slightly worse - the county went from “blue” {the state’s best rating} back up to “orange” {next to worst rating}; my wife noticed Wednesday we were down to “yellow” {between the two}.
Protect yourself and love one well. Mask indoor is really important. I think you do the right things. From what I see people doing here, if Mask, and vaccine doesn't work, we won't see a city as dense as Tokyo get... 26 new cases yesterday. Taiwan is another country with high population density and even worse, there are political bullied and even vaccine bullied. But their people have no problem use mask and be vaccinated. Their new infection rate are very low. Their average new case is like 5 and yesterday they had it more than average, 8!
Anyway, I hope it slows down over there (the US.) soon because winter is coming, and last winter wasn't that good for most countries. The cold and dry weather can escalate things real quick.

On another note, I think I see somebody compare this to a war and asked to imagine if a foreign enemy invaded us and forced us to wear a mask and got a vaccine, we wouldn't be happy with that.
Well, yeah, Covid is a foreign enemy. We all remember where and how it spread. But the foreign enemy, Covid, isn't forcing us to wear the mask or get the vaccine or do social distance. It is actuary, the opposite. Vaccine, mask, etc. are our tools to fight off the Covid. Too bad, some people just don't want to unite together as a country to fight the foreign enemy, Covid. Screaming about individual right does say it, how much or little some want to help out one another as a country. IMO, it is not a patriots' thing to practice individualism when the country really need every one to be united and fight off a foreign enemy.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 10-23-2021 at 09:49 PM.
10-24-2021, 06:39 PM   #1988
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
I saw the news since last week and wondering what went wrong over there. 3-4,000 thousands new cases for approx. 5.6 million population and 82.4% fully vaccinated. I don't say is high, but compared to what Singapore used to have like ten or even less in a day, 3-4000 is head scratching.
I guess the death rate won't be that high because most are fully vaccinated. Do people still wearing mask and hand sanitizing as before? Vaccine is not a 100% guarantee. So I hope people won't let their guard down too soon.

Here in Japan we have only a bit more than 300 new cases a day now. It is dropped from around 25,000 in august. 68.8% out of 125.8 million are vaccinated. Mask and hand sanitizing are still a common theme here as so public transportation which has never been closed, no vaccine mandate and no campaign demonizing the unvaccinated. No restriction on go to places like shopping mall, night club, etc either.
Over here, its been mandatory masks, limits on dining out (2pax), limits on family visits (5pax), gatherings (2pax).
Washing of hands or sanitizing is promoted and often practiced.
No country has escaped a rise in cases even with a large population of vaccinated, the stats point to lower deaths though.
I've not had a flu since start of 2020 (with only a recent sore throat most likely from my kids), so masks help for sure.
Population density and mainly indoor based activities here make it easier to spread (this is a known just that life has been centered on these 2; unlike larger countries )
Malls are always packed here since its part of life here (most necessities / services have to be gotten in malls )

That said, there are many contradictory rules that people are getting frustrated.
Eg.
2pax of most activities - but for organized programs and classes its 30pax

Its down to cold hard numbers now since the un-vax (and those who can't) are now viewed as the minority
10-28-2021, 04:00 AM - 2 Likes   #1989
Pentaxian

Received my Moderna booster yesterday....barely any soreness this AM. In contrast to the first two shots....
10-28-2021, 06:27 AM - 2 Likes   #1990
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Latest weekly report from Kansas

5807 new cases
Including 1460 children
249 new hospitalization
Including 7 children
160 new deaths
Including 1 child [ between 10-17 ]

According to CDC

State still considered to have high community spread

62.9 % of those eligible for vaccines are fully vaccinated

28th highest in country

Shawnee County

confirmed cases 25605

100 new cases yesterday

deaths 456

7 new yesterday

7 day trend falling

I'm scheduled for my third Pfizer shot tomorrow afternoon

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-28-2021 at 09:12 AM.
10-29-2021, 10:28 AM - 3 Likes   #1991
Pentaxian

The CDC has just reported that vaccination provides five times the protection from Covid infection than prior Covid infection does.
10-29-2021, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #1992
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Amish response to Covid-19.

10-29-2021, 02:41 PM - 4 Likes   #1993
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Got third Pfizer

Immediate reaction

Grumpy

Out of shape

Tired

You think any of those caused by vaccine?
10-29-2021, 02:56 PM - 3 Likes   #1994
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Grumpy

Out of shape

Tired

You think any of those caused by vaccine?
I don't know about you, but in my case the term for that is status quo.
10-29-2021, 03:11 PM   #1995
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
The Amish response to Covid-19.

Amish Covid | Full Measure - YouTube
That's an interesting video, and it's good that things are working out for that Amish community.

There seems to be significant variability of Covid response among their communities:

How Amish Communities are Staying Safer from the COVID-19 Pandemic with Help from Good Neighbors at Lancaster General Health - Penn Medicine

QuoteQuote:
Few official statistics are available on COVID-19’s prevalence in the Amish community. However, one Amish man, who asked that his name not be used out of respect for his traditions, said the pandemic has profoundly impacted his friends and neighbors.

“I’ve lost count of how many people it’s affected in our community,” he said. “I lost one of my very good friends.”

The man is an Amish community leader who has worked with LG Health to address a number of safety issues in recent years, such as designing hay-hole covers to prevent falls and installing back-up cameras on farm machinery to improve visibility.

In general, the Amish man said, his community tends to be somewhat suspicious of the medical field, which extends to some data publicized about COVID-19. The established partnership with the LG Health team helps to diminish some of the overall skepticism, he said, and proved particularly valuable at dispelling rumors that swirled as the pandemic progressed.
Closed Thread