Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3152 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2021, 04:36 PM   #2161
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I was vaccinated at a CVS pharmacy, my only nearby local option.

Both times to check in they handed me an unfamiliar smartphone to input all of my information.
All the information on my card is handwritten in ballpoint pen. At least they didn't use a pencil.

Private industry is so much more trustworthy than the gu'mint...

Chris
In the UK the hand written card isn't acceptable as proof of vaccination. Proof is available in the NHS phone app.
The booster isn't recorded in the NHS app at the moment but that may change in the future. As far as I know we aren't given any written proof of the booster.

11-12-2021, 04:54 PM   #2162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Mistakes cannot be prevented. People are involved and people make mistakes. Always have, always will. That doesn't excuse mistakes, it only explains them.

You are right. There is no excuse for this.
The problem is that it is the same vaccine for everyone. It is just that if you are in the age range of 5-11 you are supposed to get one third the dosage. When you are using the same vial to draw it up and giving lots of doses, it isn't surprising that a mistake happened. I'm not sure what the solution is, but hopefully pharmacies will put into place some other safety mechanism to keep pharmacists from mistakenly giving the wrong dose.

You all may have seen this study, but Texas apparently looked at COVID cases since the beginning of the year and sorted them between vaccinated and unvaccinated and found unvaccinated people were 20 times more likely to die of COVID than vaccinated people. https://www.dshs.texas.gov/immunize/covid19/data/Cases-and-Deaths-by-Vaccina...s-11082021.pdf
11-12-2021, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #2163
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got my booster jab yesterday afternoon, today nothing more than a slight bit of soreness at the site.

Since my card was laminated over the stickers, I got a new card made up with all the relevant info written down. And of course, it’s all entered into the state database for verification.
11-14-2021, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #2164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just scheduled my booster (third) dose for Monday November 22nd.

Chris

11-14-2021, 02:36 PM   #2165
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The problem is that it is the same vaccine for everyone. It is just that if you are in the age range of 5-11 you are supposed to get one third the dosage. When you are using the same vial to draw it up and giving lots of doses, it isn't surprising that a mistake happened. . . .

according to this

the correct vaccine dosage is in a different color keyed vial

QuoteQuote:
How can parents be sure children are getting the correct, smaller dose?
The vials of Pfizer vaccine intended for those 12 and older have a purple cap and purple lettering on the label.

To help make sure that 5- to 11-year-olds get the right vial, the company has changed the color scheme to orange.
https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2021/11/03/what-parents-...s-ages-5-to-11

the original story posted by @gaweidert indicated the same:

QuoteQuote:
She says she noticed her daughter was getting the vaccine with a purple cap, which is for children 12 and older, instead of the vaccine with an orange cap, which is for children 5 to 11.
Mom speaks out after daughter was given wrong COVID-19 vaccine at Virginia pharmacy
11-16-2021, 10:21 AM   #2166
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

not good news for those who become infected

QuoteQuote:
At least 50 percent of people who survive covid-19 experience a variety of physical and psychological health issues for six months or more after their initial recovery, according to research on the long-term effects of the disease, published in the journal JAMA Network Open.

Often referred to as “long covid,” the adverse health effects vary from person to person. But the research, based on data from 250,351 adults and children, found that more than half experience a decline in general well-being, resulting in weight loss, fatigue, fever or pain.

About 20 percent have decreased mobility, 25 percent have trouble thinking or concentrating (called “brain fog”), 30 percent develop an anxiety disorder, 25 percent have breathing problems, and 20 percent have hair loss or skin rashes. Cardiovascular issues — chest pain and palpitations — are common, as are stomach and gastrointestinal problems.

Those affected by post-covid conditions, sometimes called “long haulers,” can include anyone who has had covid-19, even those who had no symptoms or just mild ones, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

But additional research published in a subsequent issue of the journal found that cognitive dysfunction has occurred more often among those who had more severe cases of covid-19 and required hospitalization, and their brain fog issues have lingered for seven months or more. “One’s battle with covid doesn’t end with recovery from the acute infection,” one researcher said.

At least 50 percent of people who survive covid-19 experience a variety of physical and psychological health issues for six months or more after their initial recovery, according to research on the long-term effects of the disease, published in the journal JAMA Network Open.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/long-covid-50-percent-lingering-sympto...e24_story.html

QuoteQuote:
Original Investigation Infectious Diseases
October 13, 2021
Short-term and Long-term Rates of Postacute Sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 Infection
A Systematic Review
. . . Key Points
Question What are the short-term and long-term postacute sequelae [ a condition which is the consequence of a previous disease or injury. ] of COVID-19 (PASC) infection?

Findings In this systematic review of 57 studies comprising more than 250 000 survivors of COVID-19, most sequelae included mental health, pulmonary, and neurologic disorders, which were prevalent longer than 6 months after SARS-CoV-2 exposure.

Meaning These findings suggest that long-term PASC must be factored into existing health care systems, especially in low- and middle-income countries.. . .
Short-term and Long-term Rates of Postacute Sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 Infection: A Systematic Review | Infectious Diseases | JAMA Network Open | JAMA Network

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-16-2021 at 10:29 AM.
11-16-2021, 12:22 PM - 2 Likes   #2167
Pentaxian

Had a flu jab this afternoon,first time I’ve had one as I think “herd immunity “is going to be weaker this winter because of all the social distancing,better safe than sorry!

11-16-2021, 09:20 PM   #2168
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Had a flu jab this afternoon,first time I’ve had one as I think “herd immunity “is going to be weaker this winter because of all the social distancing,better safe than sorry!
Yeah, already had mine, was told to wait two weeks after the covid vaccine.
11-17-2021, 03:51 AM - 2 Likes   #2169
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Much discussion about natural immunity and whether it is as good as vaccine acquired immunity. I saw this study which showed that upwards of 30 percent of people who get COVID don't develop antibodies to it afterward: Predictors of Nonseroconversion after SARS-CoV-2 Infection - Volume 27, Number 9?September 2021 - Emerging Infectious Diseases journal - CDC The people who didn't form antibodies tended to be younger and have lower viral loads. They still may have some T Cell mediated immunity, but doctors usually use antibody levels as a proxy for immunity and certainly they can't count on any long term immunity despite their recent infection.

Vaccines seem to be more consistent with producing an immune response, I suppose because they are more targeted.
11-17-2021, 09:38 AM   #2170
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Kansas is now allowing anyone over 18 to receive a " booster" dose:

those who have received

the Pfizer or Morderna two dose series must wait 6 months from last shot

or

the J & J must wait 2 months after shot
11-18-2021, 04:09 PM   #2171
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now we have 14 children in California who got the adult dose of COVID vaccine. Is our health care system really this incompetent? This is not random mistakes but negligence repeated several times in at least two different locations. Hard to place your trust in an industry that screws up like this.
11-18-2021, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #2172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Now we have 14 children in California who got the adult dose of COVID vaccine. Is our health care system really this incompetent? This is not random mistakes but negligence repeated several times in at least two different locations. Hard to place your trust in an industry that screws up like this.
They didn't receive the adult dose of 30 microgram but around 20 micrograms because an incorrect amount of diluent was used. Still worrying that a clinic that only deals with children can't understand the instructions.

11-18-2021, 05:00 PM - 2 Likes   #2173
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Now we have 14 children in California who got the adult dose of COVID vaccine. Is our health care system really this incompetent?
So what's the answer? Discontinue all vaccinations because there we 14 errors made in a state with a population of 39.5 million?
11-18-2021, 05:02 PM - 2 Likes   #2174
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Luckily, even the adult dose is generally safe for kids. It's just that children get a "better" immune response than adults so they simply don't need the adult dose and with a smaller dose comes lesser chance of side effects.
11-18-2021, 05:25 PM   #2175
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

same old story

up, down and back up again

Kansas

3,035 new cases
7 day trend rising
20 new deaths

total cases 453,817
total deaths 6,639