Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2021, 06:20 PM - 2 Likes   #2176
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My better half got her booster yesterday, but there is another Covid-19/ICU issue that is going to cause a lot of mental/emotional pain over the next few years.

ICU induced Delirium. It occurs in people who are placed in induced comas and it is horrifying.

The video is from the Atlantic. ICU Delirium - The Atlantic

The mental health issues from the pandemic are going to be with us for decades. The PTSD in first responders, medical staff and people recovering from hospitalization just might bring all to our knees.

Moderators, take this down if you feel the need.

Please - please get vaccinated.

Last edited by PDL; 11-18-2021 at 06:30 PM.
11-18-2021, 07:18 PM   #2177
Inactive Account

I pretty sure everyone has been reading about the pills by both Merck and Pfizer. Any idea when the US will grant them an authorization for common usage? I asked because Japan usually follow whatever the US do. I mean what the CDC does, but not the confusing messages on socialmedia things.
And the UK had already given a green light for Merck's pill for sometime now, does it live up to its promise? I hope it does, so that we can put this thing behind us.

By the way, at the headline level, Pfizer’s pill reduced the risk of hospitalization and death nearly 90%, while Merck showed a reduction of 50%.
11-18-2021, 07:32 PM   #2178
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
I pretty sure everyone has been reading about the pills by both Merck and Pfizer. Any idea when the US will grant them an authorization for common usage? I asked because Japan usually follow whatever the US do. I mean what the CDC does, but not the confusing messages on socialmedia things.
And the UK had already given a green light for Merck's pill for sometime now, does it live up to its promise? I hope it does, so that we can put this thing behind us.

By the way, at the headline level, Pfizer’s pill reduced the risk of hospitalization and death nearly 90%, while Merck showed a reduction of 50%.
The way to end this thing is for everyone to get vaccinated, but people are more comfortable with fighting this thing than in preventing it.
11-18-2021, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #2179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote

Merck has applied for emergency use and the FDA has scheduled a meeting to discuss it on November 30th. When they were doing this with vaccines, they had the discussion and voted a few days later. Maybe early December?

Pfizer just applied for emergency use this week. They expect to get it because the early results are good enough to stop the study early. My guess is before the end of the year. Merck had about 6 weeks between application and discussion. The US already has an order in.

It is interesting because Merck's drug uses the latest antiviral and mRNA tech, which was the way to go for vaccines. Pfizer pulled some project off the shelf that they started working on for the 2003 SARS outbreak. But in this case, the older tech worked better.

11-18-2021, 08:48 PM   #2180
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Merck has applied for emergency use and the FDA has scheduled a meeting to discuss it on November 30th. When they were doing this with vaccines, they had the discussion and voted a few days later. Maybe early December?.
Thanks for the information.
Pfizer will grant a royalty-free license for poorer nations too, right? It is pretty cool what they are doing.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The way to end this thing is for everyone to get vaccinated, but people are more comfortable with fighting this thing than in preventing it.
You're right. Preventing is important. IMO, It should have been done from the very beginning with a strict travel restriction, just like back in 2002 with SARS (the first version of Covid). But we keep drooping the ball time and time again with Covid-19. There will be the next outbake, I hope people in power learn what to do and what not.
Anyway, trying to get people to be vaccinated seems to still be a thing over there. We don't really talk about it here right now. The whole country see 199 new cases two days ago, and Tokyo had 20 as of yesterday. We had a pretty bad infection rate middle of this year and it was before the vaccination rate reach 60% but since we reach 60-65% things improved really fast and most people seem to know what to do in time like this for the sake of public safety. People still wearing mask as normal even the 2 doses vaccination rate is up to 76.2% right now. I have never seen a talk about not wearing mask when go out just because we already get 2 jabs. When I saw the US CDC said people can remove mask if they got 2 doses some months ago, I looked at the US vaccination rate and I was like... are you sure? Maybe because It is not the first time for people here (and many countries in East - South East Asia) to suffer with this kind of weird out bake result by the lack of transparency and early day's cover up of some selfish group of people.
This thing is an airborne transmissible virus, I don't think we can let our guard down until we can treat it as just another disease. The pills can make that happens.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 11-18-2021 at 09:07 PM.
11-19-2021, 05:31 AM   #2181
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
So what's the answer? Discontinue all vaccinations because there we 14 errors made in a state with a population of 39.5 million?
Really simple answer. PAY @#%!*! ! ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There were also 122 children in Virginia who got the wrong does of the vaccine. So now we have at least two incidences of this. In Virginia all they had to do was look at the color on the cap of the bottle. One color for adults and one for children. You cannot make it much more simple than that.
11-19-2021, 06:01 AM - 3 Likes   #2182
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Really simple answer. PAY @#%!*! ! ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have to assume, from your tone and comments, that you are one of the lucky few humans who has never made a mistake.
I envy you .

11-19-2021, 06:04 AM - 2 Likes   #2183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
And just like that, nothing wrong ever happened again.

Cars are an easy example. I mean, when I last checked (because I'd have to drive through there), Arizona had something to the tune of 7000 deaths a year from traffic accidents, despite their small population, and yet the behaviour of those drivers goes on and on. You *can* educate people to drive better - and you'll get to the lower accident rates in some European countries (Spain was at ~3000 yearly deaths on 47M people), but accidents will still happen because humans are notoriously terrible at recognizing when they are not in a proper working condition, and to get used to "accident has never happened" as "accident cannot happen".

Second verse same as the first here.

Last edited by Serkevan; 11-19-2021 at 06:12 AM.
11-19-2021, 06:50 AM   #2184
Pentaxian

There were also 122 children in Virginia who got the wrong does of the vaccine. So now we have at least two incidences of this. In Virginia all they had to do was look at the color on the cap of the bottle. One color for adults and one for children. You cannot make it much more simple than that.
It isn't just a case of using the vials as they are delivered. Both the orange and purple capped vials need to have different amounts of diluent added.

11-19-2021, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #2185
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the reports are

one case they used the wrong color vial

the other they didn't dilute it correctly

I am certainly no expert

and often know very little about certain things

but from what I have read

none of the those given the wrong dosage have died or were placed into much, if any, danger

the discussion seemed to have been how to adjust the second dose

and how to learn from the mistakes made

which should be all of our goals

heaven knows I should keep trying to reach that goal

Last edited by Racer X 69; 11-26-2021 at 08:14 PM.
11-19-2021, 07:34 AM   #2186
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to assume, from your tone and comments, that you are one of the lucky few humans who has never made a mistake.
I envy you .
Not 14 times at one location and 122 times at another.
11-19-2021, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #2187
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If there is no feedback about a procedure being wrong (because the kids in question are fine, and there is little visual feedback re:eluent volumes), then it's still a single mistake until corrected.
11-19-2021, 07:48 AM - 2 Likes   #2188
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
If there is no feedback about a procedure being wrong (because the kids in question are fine, and there is little visual feedback re:eluent volumes), then it's still a single mistake until corrected.
Think of it like doing some Calculus questions. You go through the textbook, and solve a section of questions with a method that you thought was correct. Then you get the answers later, and every single question is wrong! Silly you for making the same mistake 30 times
11-19-2021, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #2189
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

There were also 122 children in Virginia who got the wrong does of the vaccine.
By the way, the word is "dose" not does. It's an easy mistake to make if you're not PAY[ing] @#%!*! ! ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING".
11-19-2021, 09:20 AM   #2190
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By the way, the word is "dose" not does. It's an easy mistake to make if you're not PAY[ing] @#%!*! ! ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING".
Dayum, someone just got a does dose...
Closed Thread