Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2021, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #2371
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
NZ is starting boosters now for people who have were fully vaccinated more than 6 months ago. The booster will also be Pfizer but there's talk of other vaccine availability for people who don't want Pfizer.

The booster vaccine is the same vaccine as before - at this point, so far as I'm aware, there's no vaccine that has been modified to work more effectively with a different variant/variants of the virus.

11-30-2021, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #2372
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aren't all Omicron cases reported as mild or even no symptoms at all? In this light what the "less severe infection" from Pfizer means if infection in first place is not severe?

It seems more like a panic then anything else and at one point poeple will stop care about "wolf" if they hear warnings too often.
11-30-2021, 01:13 PM - 2 Likes   #2373
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Aren't all Omicron cases reported as mild or even no symptoms at all? In this light what the "less severe infection" from Pfizer means if infection in first place is not severe?

It seems more like a panic then anything else and at one point poeple will stop care about "wolf" if they hear warnings too often.
Haven't the cases been mainly in younger people though? This variant has a lot more mutations than previously seen so nobody knows how it behaves yet. Over reaction doesn't lead to more deaths, assuming it is less deadly and doing nothing does. All of the precautions are temporary until more is known. It was only reported 6 days ago, so not enough time for deaths to occur.

11-30-2021, 01:24 PM   #2374
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Aren't all Omicron cases reported as mild or even no symptoms at all? . . .
yes, according to the reports I have read citing a Doctor from South Africa

but the number of cases that is based on may be statistically insufficient to draw any conclusions

Kansas Oct 29

4,068 new cases
7 day trend falling
13 new deaths

total cases 466,125
total deaths 6,689

19 counties rising
47 counties falling
29 counties flat

Shawnee County [ where I live ]
257 new cases
7 day trend flat
0 new deaths

total cases 27,318
total deaths 476

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-30-2021 at 02:51 PM.
11-30-2021, 02:24 PM   #2375
Pentaxian

assumption of work. according to these data, the effectiveness of the vaccine (for those who received three doses, i.e. the booster), decreases only slightly: 90% protection, compared to 95% protection against the delta strain. this is somewhat impressive and reassuring data. the effectiveness of the vaccine in preventing serious illness, for those who have been vaccinated three times, is the same as the efficacy against the delta strain – the strain that has been the most dominant in israel to date.
not everything is rosy: the problems begin with the risk of recovering to become infected. the data show that the risk of recovering from infection is twice as high as delta, and the rate of infection is 1.3 times the rate of infection from delta
N12 - ?????? ????????: ?????? ??? ??????? ????? ??? ????????...

Fauci: too early to know if omicron variant of COVID-19 causes milder symptoms
https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-covid-fauci-says-too-early-if-omi...vte-story.html
11-30-2021, 02:26 PM   #2376
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I have read is that the omicron cases were in the younger age brackets, so the severity amongst the older is still unknown. The vaccine companies are working their socks off to find the answers what they do know is it contains more mutations than any other strains. The WHO have no concrete facts yet so recommend all the standard measures, masks, social distancing, good hygiene and vaccination as it will have some effect on omicron and will still protect you from Delta. I trust the WHO partly because my sons closest friend is one of their advisors
11-30-2021, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #2377
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
not everything is rosy: the problems begin with the risk of recovering to become infected. the data show that the risk of recovering from infection is twice as high as delta, and the rate of infection is 1.3 times the rate of infection from delta
Am I the only one who doesn't know what this means?

11-30-2021, 02:44 PM   #2378
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Sorry, but I don’t read this language.

QuoteQuote:
צפירת הרגעה לאומיקרון? נתונים ראשוניים על הזן החדש נחשפו הערב ב"מהדורה המרכזית" • הבשורה הטובה: הירידה ביעילות החיסון קלה - ועבור מקבלי הבוסטר הוא יעיל גם במניעת תחלואה קשה וגם במניעת הדבקה • עם זאת, הסיכון של מחלים להידבק בווריאנט גבוה פי 2 מאשר
11-30-2021, 02:45 PM - 2 Likes   #2379
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Aren't all Omicron cases reported as mild or even no symptoms at all?
Yes.

We're already seeing that.

The virus is doing exactly what is to be expected. A virus is, essentially, a parasite. It needs a host to reproduce. If it kills its hosts it kills itself (as a species). If it weakens to the point of allowing its hosts to survive, it survives. Many common cold viruses are coronaviruses. Whether all of them were fatal at one time is unknown. The point is, uh, what was my point? Oh yeah, I remember; this is progressing as could be predicted. The virus is weakening. That's of no comfort to the families of those who have died or to those of us who are aware that we still could, but it's the way it is. Nature cares nothing for the individual, regardless of species. From a purely biological standpoint the mortality rate of people who contract Covid is ultimately EXACTLY the same as for those who don't.

Last edited by Parallax; 11-30-2021 at 02:53 PM.
11-30-2021, 02:48 PM   #2380
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Sorry, but I don’t read this language.
try google translate

it worked for me
11-30-2021, 02:58 PM   #2381
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yes.

We're already seeing that.

The virus is doing exactly what is to be expected. A virus is, essentially, a parasite. It needs a host to reproduce. If it kills its hosts it kills itself (as a species). If it weakens to the point of allowing its hosts to survive, it survives. Many common cold viruses are coronaviruses. Whether all of them were fatal at one time is unknown. The point is, uh, what was my point? Oh yeah, I remember; this is progressing as could be predicted. The virus is weakening. That's of no comfort to the families of those who have died or to those of us who are aware that we still could, but it's the way it is. Nature cares nothing for the individual, regardless of species. From a purely biological standpoint the mortality rate of people who contract Covid is ultimately EXACTLY the same as for those who don't.
Well not quite.
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/07/14/fact-check-viruses-c...ly/7839167002/

---------- Post added 11-30-21 at 10:14 PM ----------

Interesting idea.
BBC News - Covid: Greece to fine over-60s who refuse Covid-19 vaccine
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59474808
11-30-2021, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #2382
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
I'm at a loss for words.
11-30-2021, 03:38 PM   #2383
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Human rights do vary by country, don't they?
We have to wait and see what happens in Austria once it becomes compulsory.

11-30-2021, 03:49 PM - 2 Likes   #2384
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Well not quite.
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/07/14/fact-check-viruses-c...ly/7839167002/

---------- Post added 11-30-21 at 10:14 PM ----------

Interesting idea.
Covid: Greece to fine over-60s who refuse Covid-19 vaccine - BBC News
All that article says is that "sometimes" viruses mutate to be more deadly. Mostly, however, viruses become less deadly. We only need to look at something like Ebola which is super deadly and kills between 6 and 16 days after infection (usually). That's one of the reasons why Ebola has seldom managed to infect that many people. It's too good at killing. Then, on the other hand we have common cold viruses which are often corona viruses. Very good at replicating and spreading from person to person but seldom deadly. It's highly likely that Covid will, in due course, be just another common cold. Of course, it's early days (in terms of the evolution / mutation of a virus) and time will tell.
11-30-2021, 03:53 PM   #2385
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
All that article says is that "sometimes" viruses mutate to be more deadly. Mostly, however, viruses become less deadly. We only need to look at something like Ebola which is super deadly and kills between 6 and 16 days after infection (usually). That's one of the reasons why Ebola has seldom managed to infect that many people. It's too good at killing. Then, on the other hand we have common cold viruses which are often corona viruses. Very good at replicating and spreading from person to person but seldom deadly. It's highly likely that Covid will, in due course, be just another common cold. Of course, it's early days (in terms of the evolution / mutation of a virus) and time will tell.
So until you are sure the mutation is less deadly it makes sense to treat it as if it could be more deadly.

Closed Thread