Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3152 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2021, 12:24 PM - 3 Likes   #2626
Pentaxian

Mine has just made me thirsty - 3 pints of cold orange squash so far today. Must leave the bathroom door open overnight !!

12-10-2021, 12:25 PM   #2627
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
early days still

QuoteQuote:
. . . according to a report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The findings, published Friday, offer an early glimpse into how people might fare against the heavily mutated Covid-19 variant [ omicron ], now in at least 22 states, though health experts stress it's still too early to draw any strong conclusions on how it will spread in the country.

The agency's five-page report looked at 43 people in the U.S. with a confirmed case of the new strain, one of whom was hospitalized. More than half of the people were young, between the ages of 18 and 39.

More than three-quarters were fully vaccinated, including a third who had also received a booster shot. Six cases had a previously documented Covid infection. A third of the people had recently traveled internationally, according to the CDC study.

The most commonly reported symptoms were cough, fatigue and congestion or runny nose. One vaccinated patient was hospitalized for two days and no deaths were reported, the report found.

. . . There are some caveats to the report, however. The CDC pointed out that it can take several days or weeks before severe symptoms appear in some individuals, and symptoms would be expected to be milder in vaccinated people and in those with a previous coronavirus infection. . . . "Only four cases were aged over 65, while 29 were under 40. Young people generally have milder infections, whatever the variant," he said. "So we don't yet know what omicron might do in much older and more vulnerable populations."

Moore said another factor to consider is the vaccination status of the infected individuals.

"Here, 20 cases were in people with two doses, and 14 more in folks who had been given a booster dose. Only eight cases involved unvaccinated people."
MSN
12-10-2021, 12:32 PM - 2 Likes   #2628
Pentaxian

@aslyfox relayed this comment :

'older and more vulnerable populations.'

Why is older always assumed to be more vulnerable ? We've lived this long - we have decades of experience of not dying.
12-10-2021, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #2629
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
None of my 3 Pfizer jabs had very little reaction at all, and I had forgotten about them by dinner time - should I be worried about that????
From what I understand, there is no correlation between the severity of side effects and the amount of protection offered.

12-10-2021, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #2630
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
as someone who has survived 3 jabs of Pfizer

[ without side effects ]

all I can say - in a friendly way

" no pain no gain "

I hope you feel better soon
I'm already starting to feel better. After each of the first two jabs I was sick for several days, but this is seeming like it will be only a one day thing.
12-10-2021, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #2631
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have to say that we’ve been very fortunate here on this little island, with few of the traumatic measures needed elsewhere to contain the spread of the virus. My immediate family isn’t due a booster shot until February, next year, and we’re nudging 90% of the eligible population being double-vaccinated.

Nonetheless, I’ve noticed that there are fewer office Christmas parties occurring in local restaurants, so I imagine people are being somewhat more cautious than previously. Some of that will undoubtedly be a result of economic hardship, but outside of the tourist economy, work and employment levels have been relatively unaffected to date.

However, our internal borders open in a few days time, and international arrivals are already returning more freely to the country, so we’ll see what happens after that. Double-vaccinations only* permitted, though, so we’re all interested to see the result.

* – medical exemptions allowed, of course, with compulsory testing. Self-funded quarantine and testing for others.
12-11-2021, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #2632
Pentaxian

Yesterday was a non-day - spent the time alternately sleeping and aching !

Today - I'm going birding, with camera gear. I refuse to let my body dictate what I do.

12-11-2021, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #2633
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
@aslyfox relayed this comment :

'older and more vulnerable populations.'

Why is older always assumed to be more vulnerable ? We've lived this long - we have decades of experience of not dying.
True. It does seem that immune systems don't work as well against certain things after 60. COVID happens to be one of those things.

Even then, the overall case fatality rate is only one or two percent, so most people are surviving, just some get very sick and end up in the hospital in the process.

(I think with early use of monoclonal antibodies, which are about 80 percent effective at preventing hospitalization, we should be able to get down a death rate of 4 or 5 per 1000 diagnosed folks with COVID. That's a lot better than things were early on).
12-11-2021, 05:14 AM - 2 Likes   #2634
Pentaxian

Scheduled for our third vaccinations tomorrow.
12-11-2021, 06:51 AM - 2 Likes   #2635
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
. . . Even then, the overall case fatality rate is only one or two percent, so most people are surviving, just some get very sick and end up in the hospital in the process.. . .
Yes with time the methods of dealing with COVID-19 have improved

Yet any bed in the ICU taken up by someone who has not been vaccinated is a strain on the system which, it seems likely, could have been avoided

And can put others who need that bed in great danger

And the omicron variant has yet to make a large impact here in the US according to the latest reports I have read

please get vaccinated and boosted

QuoteQuote:
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – There are now more than 40 cases of the omicron variant in the U.S., including in Florida and Georgia.

Chad Neilsen, UF Health Jacksonville director of infection prevention, says those cases will grow, but delta remains dominant.

While studies are limited, Pfizer says that “three doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine neutralize the omicron variant while two doses show significantly reduced neutralization.”

On Wednesday, the U.S. marked a milestone with 200 million Americans fully vaccinated, but only 50 million got boosters.

On Thursday, the Food and Drug Administration and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention cleared teenagers ages 16 and 17 to get Pfizer’s booster shots when eligible. The Pfizer vaccine is the only option in the U.S. for anyone younger than 18, either for initial vaccination or for use as a booster.. . .

While many have yet to get their third booster shot, Pfizer’s chief executive said this week a fourth booster may be needed down the line.

But for right now, the push is to get people either vaccinated or boosted with a third dose.
https://www.news4jax.com/news/2021/12/09/more-than-40-cases-of-omicron-varia...orida-georgia/

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-11-2021 at 08:11 AM.
12-11-2021, 09:03 AM   #2636
Pentaxian

230 crashes in the storm with 132 in ditches and 19 injuries. None will find room in a staffed ICU if needed.

State Patrol: More than 230 crashes so far as winter storm hits Minnesota | kare11.com
Troopers said there had been a total of 232 crashes, including 19 with injuries, from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday. There were also 134 reports of vehicles going off the roadway, and 14 jackknifed semis.
12-11-2021, 09:09 AM   #2637
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
230 crashes in the storm with 132 in ditches and 19 injuries. None will find room in a staffed ICU if needed.

State Patrol: More than 230 crashes so far as winter storm hits Minnesota | kare11.com
Troopers said there had been a total of 232 crashes, including 19 with injuries, from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday. There were also 134 reports of vehicles going off the roadway, and 14 jackknifed semis.
add to that those who may be needing such beds as a result of last night's tornado activity

QuoteQuote:
Dec. 11, 2021, 9:29 AM CST / Updated Dec. 11, 2021, 9:56 AM CST
By Kathryn Prociv and Nicole Acevedo
One of the deadly tornadoes that erupted under the cloak of darkness overnight Friday into the early hours of Saturday, leaving at least 50 dead, may have set the record for the longest continuous tornado in American history.

The devastating outbreak, which included more than 30 tornado reports across six states stretching across the Mississippi Valley, Southeast and Midwest, is also an extremely rare event this late into the year.

One tornado, being called the "Quad-State Tornado" ripped across four states in four hours (Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee and Kentucky), slamming communities such as Monette, Arkansas, and Mayfield, Kentucky, which were two of the hardest hit towns.

There were at least eight tornado emergencies issued, a designation which is reserved for the most life-threatening tornado events when a confirmed large and dangerous tornado is headed toward people. . . .
'Quad-State Tornado' crossed four states in four hours, a rare December tornado
QuoteQuote:
At least dozens of people are feared dead after more than 30 tornadoes struck at least six states overnight Friday amid an extraordinary extreme weather system which sped across a span of hundreds of miles. As many as 100 people may have been killed in Kentucky where an occupied candle factory collapsed, and other deaths have been reported at an Amazon warehouse in Illinois and a nursing home in Arkansas. Details are still unfolding; below is what we know so far. . . .
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/12/deadly-tornadoes-tear-through-midwes...h-updates.html
12-12-2021, 08:37 AM   #2638
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Edited (corrected!!):
All of my 3 Pfizer jabs had very little reaction at all, and I had forgotten about them by dinner time - should I be worried about that????
Maybe they gave you placebo.
12-12-2021, 08:59 AM   #2639
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Maybe they gave you placebo.
I don't think so (at all) because we were not part of any trial and went to a local pharmacy that was being used as a standard vacination centre.
12-12-2021, 09:24 AM   #2640

My primary physician said he was only seeing about less than 10% having reactions/side effects from the vaccines. From what I've read, Pfizer seems to have slightly more reports of side effects/reactions than the Moderna. Even though the initial Moderna dose is 2-3× that of the Pfizer or the second Moderna dose. Moderna booster was only a half-dose though I don't know if that was half of the first or second dose.
Closed Thread