Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2021, 08:35 AM - 6 Likes   #2866
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The National {American} Football League now has rules that allow non-vaxers, but subjects them to strict testing rules. As someone who was a member of the “control group” for Salk’s polio test, I guess I cannot ever understand that ….. after having nightmares in Grad School, I vowed to always get a vaccine as soon as I could. An NFL player who is now on the “Covid cannot play” list, and cannot play in a game that may decide who goes to the Super Bowl, said he is neither an anti-vaxer nor a pro-vaxer - but a ‘pro-choicer’, I cannot understand that ‘thinking’, nor do I want to.
My much-loved niece came to visit us last night. She's been fully vaccinated (I don't let anyone that isn't past the front porch), and since my Mum, Dad and I have too, we were delighted that she came, and we were able to enjoy a really long chat, without worrying too much about the virus. She's on leave from her Military Police training in the Army, and heads back down south in the New Year to complete that by Summer, before her first posting. Anyway... the Army gave her a choice regarding the vaccine: "Which arm?"

12-24-2021, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #2867
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

I got some lateral flow swab tests from the chemist today, and did one - primarily just to try it for the first time, but also because I've had runny nose and mild cold symptoms for over a week now. Didn't think it was COVID-19, but thought I'd check anyway... and it came back negative
Lucky you! In Spain they are all sold out everywhere... And when they are available, you're paying about 7-8€ the unit. My brother paid 37€ for a pack of 5 the other day. In Germany they were at like 2€ per unit and you can buy them in a regular old store for household supplies... even in Lidl. At this rate I'll have to ask my friends for a package .

If you have cold symptoms you might also want to ask the relevant authority if you should take a PCR appointment, the antigen tests are quite unreliable.
(Says the one who is gonna use one today just for peace of mind because of three planes in a row; however without known contact I am not going to be called for an appointment, so I'd have to gamble on the free PCRs at the hospital, and the queues are kilometric... something like 4-5 hours at least).
12-24-2021, 08:59 AM - 2 Likes   #2868
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
My much-loved niece came to visit us last night. She's been fully vaccinated (I don't let anyone that isn't past the front porch), and since my Mum, Dad and I have too, we were delighted that she came, and we were able to enjoy a really long chat, without worrying too much about the virus. She's on leave from her Military Police training in the Army, and heads back down south in the New Year to complete that by Summer, before her first posting. Anyway... the Army gave her a choice regarding the vaccine: "Which arm?"
My wife has known a now OBS/GYN {at Johns Hopkins!!} since undergraduate days. This doctor’s {the doctor is a woman} husband had a {mild} case of Covid; they spent hours trying to list everyone they had had contact with in the days before he showed symptoms; after a year-and-a-half, many people still don’t seem to understand they are probably contagious a day before they show symptoms, and many don’t seem to think of those they might happen to infect.
12-24-2021, 09:00 AM - 3 Likes   #2869
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
"
"There's a train coming. Get off of the tracks!"
"Don't tell me what to do! I'll stand here if I wan........................................"
The CDC says throw out all of your Romaine lettuce.
The people reply: Done!

The CDC says don't eat raw cookie dough.
The people reply: Mind your own business!

12-24-2021, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #2870
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Lucky you! In Spain they are all sold out everywhere... And when they are available, you're paying about 7-8€ the unit. My brother paid 37€ for a pack of 5 the other day. In Germany they were at like 2€ per unit and you can buy them in a regular old store for household supplies... even in Lidl. At this rate I'll have to ask my friends for a package .
Wow. We are indeed lucky, then. Here, you can request one pack - containing seven tests - from a pharmacy without even registering, but if you set up an NHS account (which is free, and I already had one) and fill out a short questionnaire, you get a one-time code which you show to the pharmacy, and they'll provide three boxes. I got some because, depending on how this Omicron variant pans out over the coming weeks, I'm planning to slowly and gently relax some of our self-imposed restrictions.

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
If you have cold symptoms you might also want to ask the relevant authority if you should take a PCR appointment, the antigen tests are quite unreliable.
(Says the one who is gonna use one today just for peace of mind because of three planes in a row; however without known contact I am not going to be called for an appointment, so I'd have to gamble on the free PCRs at the hospital, and the queues are kilometric... something like 4-5 hours at least).
All I have now - and it's really nothing - is the remnants of a runny nose. Everything else has more-or-less cleared up... plus, we're not going anywhere, not seeing anyone, until New Year's Eve. I don't even have to shop, as I got all our groceries over a week ago, so the most we'll do is go for a walk in the nearby countryside. On that basis, I'll skip the PCR... but I appreciate the advice, and I'll bear it in mind for future "episodes"
12-24-2021, 12:02 PM - 2 Likes   #2871
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Just got up.

Slept like a baby, as always.

Except I (at least as I am told) snore.

Loudly.

I dunno, really, I'm fast asleep, so I have no idea.

Anyway, the only remnant of yesterday's assault on my arm is a minor amount of sorness, much less that last evening. The headache is gone too.
Spoke too soon.

An hour or so after I posted this the aches began.

Took two aspirin.

Had breakfast, and am chatting with mom about yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

She seems pretty lucid at the moment.

I have forgotten about my pain.
12-24-2021, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #2872
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Spoke too soon.

An hour or so after I posted this the aches began.

Took two aspirin.

Had breakfast, and am chatting with mom about yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

She seems pretty lucid at the moment.

I have forgotten about my pain.
The misfortunes of others (especially those nearest to us) often help to put our own troubles into perspective. Happy Xmas to you and yours.

12-24-2021, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #2873
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the province of Alberta, Canada the provincial authorities just allowed anyone age 18 and up to get a 3rd booster shot as long as it has been 5 months since their last shot. All 4 of us in the family now have our 3rd shot.

So far the virus is behaving like a virus. It's mutating to become much less lethal and way more contagious. Our provincial premier said point blank everyone will get the current strain, which is likely correct. Alberta's response has been to loosen restrictions and allowing a 3rd shot of vaccine. Other provinces react by shutting down even further -- BC, Ontario, Quebec for example.

The mainstream media is becoming part of the problem. They report number of cases and number of hospitalizations, but zero reporting on per capital data. Number of unvaccinated people in hospital are reported too gleefully while quietly downplaying the number of vaccinated in hospital. I even heard a so-called reporter talking about the DNA of the COVID virus -- a healthcare reporter who didn't take grade 11 biology? Anyway, the sky is falling! and Merry Christmas everyone!
12-24-2021, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #2874
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
So far the virus is behaving like a virus. It's mutating to become much less lethal and way more contagious.
As expected. I can't help but wonder how many of the 50+ identified viruses responsible the common cold were once lethal.

The mainstream media is becoming part of the problem....................... I even heard a so-called reporter talking about the DNA of the COVID virus -- a healthcare reporter who didn't take grade 11 biology? Anyway, the sky is falling!
Wow. Canada too? I thought we were the only ones plagued with the
reporters' creed "never let the facts get in the way of a good story".

Merry Christmas everyone!
Indeed.
To quote a fictional character: "God bless us every one!" ~Tiny Tim
12-24-2021, 04:36 PM   #2875
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe it's because I don't watch too much news on TV, but I haven't seen any "gleeful" reporting about Covid. Number of unvaccinated people hospitalized I most often read as a percentage, so based on that I can infer the percentage of vaccinated folks.

Interestingly, people who took Grade 11 Biology may know that some viruses mutate to become more lethal (the so-called Spanish Flu is a famous example). Fortunately, early evidence is showing this is not the case with Omicron.

This morning we had about two inches of snow, so the sky was seemingly falling. It was nice, I hope it happens more.
12-24-2021, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #2876
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I even heard a so-called reporter talking about the DNA of the COVID virus -- a healthcare reporter who didn't take grade 11 biology?
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Interestingly, people who took Grade 11 Biology may know that some viruses mutate to become more lethal
That's true but, whether they become more lethal or less, they have no DNA.
12-24-2021, 04:51 PM   #2877
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the province of Alberta, Canada the provincial authorities just allowed anyone age 18 and up to get a 3rd booster shot as long as it has been 5 months since their last shot. All 4 of us in the family now have our 3rd shot.

So far the virus is behaving like a virus. It's mutating to become much less lethal and way more contagious. Our provincial premier said point blank everyone will get the current strain, which is likely correct. Alberta's response has been to loosen restrictions and allowing a 3rd shot of vaccine. Other provinces react by shutting down even further -- BC, Ontario, Quebec for example.

The mainstream media is becoming part of the problem. They report number of cases and number of hospitalizations, but zero reporting on per capital data. Number of unvaccinated people in hospital are reported too gleefully while quietly downplaying the number of vaccinated in hospital. I even heard a so-called reporter talking about the DNA of the COVID virus -- a healthcare reporter who didn't take grade 11 biology? Anyway, the sky is falling! and Merry Christmas everyone!
I really think that media members think that they should encourage people to get vaccinated. This is done by talking about the worst cases and the percent of unvaccinated people in the hospital. I don't think there is glee involved, but I do think they feel it as a civic duty.

I will say that the majority of the medical community feels that this is an important tool for getting past COVID. If the main reason people don't get vaccinated is misinformation then that is a problem.
12-24-2021, 05:00 PM - 2 Likes   #2878
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I really think that media members think that they should encourage people to get vaccinated. This is done by talking about the worst cases and the percent of unvaccinated people in the hospital. I don't think there is glee involved,
There's a lot of truth to that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
but I do think they feel it as a civic duty.
I think they feel it's their duty to garner as many viewers/readers as possible. "If it bleeds it leads" is an ages old maxim in the news business. i.e. people are drawn to bad news more so (by far) than good.
12-24-2021, 05:02 PM   #2879
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, in the case of Covid, and I think when a reporter makes such a fundamental error it undermines the report.
12-24-2021, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #2880
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That depends on the virus. Herpesvirus, for example, do have DNA.

Of course, Covid doesn't - but I'd argue that it's even a somewhat minor mistake.
Closed Thread