Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2022, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #3241
Pentaxian

You would think that sports persons would take more care than most as a bad bout could lead them to miss a tournament, which means lost earnings, or could leave them with long covid which could end their career.

01-18-2022, 05:04 AM   #3242
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
You would think that sports persons would take more care than most as a bad bout could lead them to miss a tournament, which means lost earnings, or could leave them with long covid which could end their career.
I hope Djokovic doesn't get long covid.

01-18-2022, 05:55 AM   #3243
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Development and testing but production is also a big thing as it would take some time to manufacture in quantities sufficient for everyone. . . . .
" it would take some time "

that is totally unacceptable

I demand,

I am entitled to

and I want

a " light switch " reaction

[ I'm being sarcastic, but many do have those expectations and demands ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-18-2022 at 08:04 AM.
01-18-2022, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #3244
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Egotism, perhaps, or being attracted to the wishful thinking of some (many?) in the so-called “wellness” industry – possibly the two go together? Or maybe just a bad experience with a previous vaccine.

I have memories of childhood vaccinations in the 1950s, with large needles and glass syringes, both being reused on some occasions – children crying, fainting and throwing up – but I doubt any of the current crop of sportspeople would have experienced anything like that, although some behave like it on occasion.

01-18-2022, 01:38 PM   #3245
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Egotism, perhaps, or being attracted to the wishful thinking of some (many?) in the so-called “wellness” industry – possibly the two go together? Or maybe just a bad experience with a previous vaccine.

I have memories of childhood vaccinations in the 1950s, with large needles and glass syringes, both being reused on some occasions – children crying, fainting and throwing up – but I doubt any of the current crop of sportspeople would have experienced anything like that, although some behave like it on occasion.
I recall the metal and glass reusable syringes.

My dentist still uses them to inject the Novocain.
01-18-2022, 02:28 PM   #3246
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
About one third of the patients requiring admission for COVID are vaccinated, but of the ICU requiring patients, 90 percent are unvaccinated.
We hear from a friend in a medical family that that's similar to what has happened in the UK – vaccinated people are seen in hospital wards with Covid, but they're generally in for a day or two with perhaps some oxygen to help, then they're able to go home. They're also very much in the minority of hospitalised Covid cases. The majority of hospitalised cases are unvaccinated and have a much rougher time. A local auxiliary nurse also tells us the position in the local hospital is very different to a year ago – the Covid ward is now smaller and has spare beds, compared to a larger ward last year which was bursting at the seams.

Neighbours who were abroad recently developed Covid on their return. They've had temperatures and chills and are coughing, but are otherwise little affected and fidgeting to get out again. They're retired: a year ago they'd have been seriously at risk but now are fully vaccinated,
01-18-2022, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #3247
Pentaxian

I think most anti-Vaxers - and this includes athletes - equate resistance to disease with physical strength.
A little humility would be good for them - but few professional athletes are strong in humility.

01-18-2022, 02:45 PM   #3248
Pentaxian

Even in the early 1950’s, they used equipment similar to modern needles and syringes when we were vaccinated as part of Dr. Salk’s experiments.
01-18-2022, 03:59 PM - 2 Likes   #3249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Latest science news. Neanderthal gene variant helps against Covid. Non-Africans carry 1-6% percentage of Neanderthal/Denisovan genes, the frequency of occurrence tends to be genes involved in immunology.

Africans do carry a small amount of Neanderthal genes so some of them also carry the right allele sequence for Covid protection.

Fascinating!!

Scientists Identify Specific Gene Variant That Protects Against Severe COVID-19
01-18-2022, 04:53 PM   #3250
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I think most anti-Vaxers - and this includes athletes - equate resistance to disease with physical strength.

A little humility would be good for them - but few professional athletes are strong in humility.
Djokovic didn't even want to have surgery on his elbow. He certainly isn't strong on humility.
https://au.sports.yahoo.com/cried-days-djokovic-reveals-guilt-elbow-surgery-...VX9-lx1I-xdsvU

01-18-2022, 05:00 PM   #3251
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

About an hour ago my wife received a phne call that her ex-mother-in-law died from Covid at age 87. She was only in the hospital for 3 days, as her family are Covid-deniers and by the time they got her to the hospital her respiratory system was already failing.
01-18-2022, 05:47 PM   #3252
Inactive Account

Tokyo will go back to quasi-emergency from Friday which mean businesses will be asked to close early but no effect on general public activity.The city got 5,185 cases on Tuesday which is a jump from around 30 just a month ago.

IMO, the number of COVID-19 patients in hospital should be taken into account since Omicron doesn't send people to hospital as much as the earlier variants but it is spreading a lot faster.

From the graph above, well... number from the US always on steroid in every category.
I wish they make it by percentage of available bed in each country. Anyway, for Japan, late August to early September last year was the time we had shortage of hospital beds. Now we are still far from the peak in September, but it's slowly picking up. Not sure if it is a good news or bad news.
01-18-2022, 06:49 PM - 4 Likes   #3253
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do too. I remember that shots (seemed to) hurt more back then, maybe some crying but no fainting or throwing up. Mostly I remember the polio epidemic, no cure, no vaccine, no real hope if you got the disease. That all changed once the vaccines came out. How anyone that lived through those times can be an antivaxer is beyond me.

On topic, I finally got my Moderna booster today. I should have gotten it a month ago but I'm, by nature, a procrastinator but it's done now.
01-19-2022, 01:26 AM - 1 Like   #3254
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I recall the metal and glass reusable syringes.

My dentist still uses them to inject the Novocain.
Good to know someone’s keeping up the old ways.
01-19-2022, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #3255
Pentaxian

Hana Horka: Czech singer dies after catching Covid intentionally - BBC News

A sad story or more Darwin Award fodder?

I can’t decide,hopefully it will encourage more people to get vaccinated and not gamble with their health.
Closed Thread