Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2022, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #3286
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Exactly, it is hardly shocking if someone has a sore arm after an injection. Although I didn't have a sore arm after either Astra Zeneca jab or flu jab but did after Pfizer booster.
Thanks for sharing your experience! I was wondering if anyone had escaped without even a sore arm. I barely felt my booster and my arm wasn't very sore. My wife on the other hand said hers stung and hurt going in and her arm was really sore for a few days. I think a lot of that has to do with the skill of the technician. I also remember a particularly painful shot as a child where the nurse said it was because they hadn't let it warm up enough, so that could be a factor too.

01-21-2022, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #3287
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
"Shockingly, nearly a quarter of the people -- some who received the placebo shot -- experienced side effects like a sore arm, also attributable to the placebo effect."

That seems like a strange statement to me. If someone jabs a needle in your arm and injects something, placebo or vaccine, I would expect to have a sore arm. I would be shocked if I didn't.I would consider a sore arm to be a (real) side effect of the shot not what was in it.

Over the last couple of years I've gotten a flu shot, a TDAP shot and three covid shots (Moderna). At least a mildly sore arm every time which I would not attribute to the placebo effect.

As far as the covid shots went (and putting aside a sore which I don't really consider a side effect). I had no reaction to the first shot. After the second shot I had a slightly elevated temperature and mild flu(like) symptoms that were gone after 24 hours. Same with the booster shot but not as bad as the second shot. My wife's experience was similar but with slightly worse flu(like) symptoms.
It was more than just arm pain. It was things like joint aches, fevers, and fatigue. Per the study, there were slightly more side effects with vaccination than placebo after the first shot, but quite a bit more after the second shot. This is the study, if anyone is interested in looking at it: Frequency of Adverse Events in the Placebo Arms of COVID-19 Vaccine Trials: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis | Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacology | JAMA Network Open | JAMA Network

I thought this was an interesting article from 538 talking about natural versus vaccine immunity and Omicron. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-omicron-upended-what-we-thought-we-...ural-immunity/ I think even the experts are realizing that we can't predict the future. Omicron may help get "herd immunity" but to this point COVID seems to shift over time and if the next strain is unrelated to Omicron, the immunity acquired from that may not be much help. In addition, our body's immune system simply doesn't seem to protect against COVID long term.
01-21-2022, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #3288
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
as far as my history goes

I had three Pfizer vaccine shots: March '21, April '21, and 'Oct 21 no reactions to vaccines

Since I am basically retired, I stayed 80 % or more of my time isolated, worn KF 95 masks when not, maintained social distancing

[ did sneak in that vacation to Yellowstone in Sept ]

then virus [ SARS-CoV-2 PCR ] detected Jan 19 2022

symptoms like a bad cold, very sore throat, a little coughing and sneezing, a few body aches no fever, voice deep in chest [ could really hit those base notes but no projection ability ]

since detection 100 % isolation except for spouse and the dogs

no treatment except fluids, rest and tylenol for pain

I stopped tylenol yesterday

in the process of recovery now, a little coughing and sneezing no body aches no fever, voice coming back to normal

not saying my case is typical but if what I have read about Delta, with my health history, I am glad I got Omicron

major problems that I see is the subjective nature of the signs of Omicron

is it Omicron or a cold

if anyone with a cold gets a test, the rate of testing must go sky high

if one does not, Omicron will be spread unknowingly

stay safe out there folks

I may have been very lucky

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-21-2022 at 09:27 AM.
01-21-2022, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #3289
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good speed recovery

Good speed recovery Allen
But watch next 7-10 day sense smell or taste
My college call and said after almost same situation
as your after 7 almost total recovery start issue with smell and taste

01-21-2022, 01:01 PM   #3290
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As Aslyfox said, "is it Omicron or a cold". I have had symptoms similar to a cold. Well, they are also similar to a mild case of Omicron. Since I spent last weekend at a Volleyball tournament with lots of people and one that I know who later tested positive, I decided to get tested yesterday. I've had 3 doses of the Moderna Vaccine. I learned today that my rapid test was negative, but the PCR test will take 2 or 3 days. What should I do now? Assume I'm negative or cancel plans until I get PCR results.
01-21-2022, 01:39 PM   #3291
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
As Aslyfox said, "is it Omicron or a cold". I have had symptoms similar to a cold. Well, they are also similar to a mild case of Omicron. Since I spent last weekend at a Volleyball tournament with lots of people and one that I know who later tested positive, I decided to get tested yesterday. I've had 3 doses of the Moderna Vaccine. I learned today that my rapid test was negative, but the PCR test will take 2 or 3 days. What should I do now? Assume I'm negative or cancel plans until I get PCR results.
My recommendation

Assume you are positive

If you turn out to be, you won't have exposed others
01-21-2022, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #3292
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
My recommendation

Assume you are positive

If you turn out to be, you won't have exposed others
Thanks. I'll probably do that.

01-21-2022, 08:11 PM   #3293
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Beats me, but:
Burla | Encyclopedia.com

Burla | Tekken Wiki | Fandom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burla,_India

Or maybe it’s just the Cockney glottal-stop pronunciation of “burlap”?
Bourla. I was writing simultaneously in two languages in two windows that time, sorry.
01-22-2022, 03:39 AM   #3294
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Bourla. I was writing simultaneously in two languages in two windows that time, sorry.
No need to be sorry. All clear now, thanks Lana.
01-22-2022, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #3295
Pentaxian

When I had my second shot I had an intense 3 hour fever.

I had my booster and had an intense 12 hour incapacitating fever. I went to the sink to get tap water and shook so violently on the way back I didn't have any water. My sheets were soaked in sweat and the 2 towels and my 3 shirts. 3 days to normal. I am not looking forward to a time where another is suggested.

I took one for the community. I am not the weakest link. blah blah blah political blah.
01-22-2022, 09:26 PM   #3296
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Placebo effect the true cause of many reported COVID-19 vaccine side effects: Study

Many continue to worry about experiencing side effects from vaccines -- especially the COVID-19 vaccines -- but new data from a comprehensive meta-analysis suggests there is little to fear.

The study from Beth Isreal Deaconess Medical Center found that a large number of side effects reported by patients after receiving their shot can be attributed to the placebo effect.
Researchers examined 12 vaccine safety trials, involving thousands of people, and compared rates of side effects reported between those who received a placebo shot and those who received a real shot. They found that after the first shot, two-thirds of people experienced side effects like headache and fatigue, which the researchers said were attributable to the placebo effect. Shockingly, nearly a quarter of the people -- some who received the placebo shot -- experienced side effects like a sore arm, also attributable to the placebo effect.

Many COVID-19 vaccine side effects caused by placebo effect: Study - ABC News
You can put that propaganda away, I had a pretty severe almost debilitating case of vertigo a day after my second shot and its still on going to this day There were thousands of adverse reactions like this reported into the VARES system with no recourse but to "tough" it out with these reactions to an experimental "vaccine". And now there is Omicron and we are still being lied to by the alphabet agencies and their heads about it all in hopes to scare the uninformed. These people are at best incompetent and at worst purposely lying about some of this.
01-22-2022, 09:43 PM   #3297
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It was more than just arm pain. It was things like joint aches, fevers, and fatigue. Per the study, there were slightly more side effects with vaccination than placebo after the first shot, but quite a bit more after the second shot. This is the study, if anyone is interested in looking at it: Frequency of Adverse Events in the Placebo Arms of COVID-19 Vaccine Trials: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis | Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacology | JAMA Network Open | JAMA Network

I thought this was an interesting article from 538 talking about natural versus vaccine immunity and Omicron. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-omicron-upended-what-we-thought-we-...ural-immunity/ I think even the experts are realizing that we can't predict the future. Omicron may help get "herd immunity" but to this point COVID seems to shift over time and if the next strain is unrelated to Omicron, the immunity acquired from that may not be much help. In addition, our body's immune system simply doesn't seem to protect against COVID long term.
Well the answer is therapeutics and not vaccines at least until a dependable reliable vaccine can be thoroughly researched and proven before being deployed . Just as it should have been from the start of this debacle. You can blame that on a famous short little PHD who did the same thing during the aids epidemic era. Depend on a vaccine when other measures possibly could have help solve that problem. If therapeutics along with vaccines had been employed at the beginning of this 2 year nightmare instead of depending solely on experimental vaccines this debacle probably could have been ended a lot sooner. But noooooooo people were told to go home until you feel really lousy and then come on back to the hospital and we'll finish you off and file a report so we can collect a nice tidy bit of government cash.
01-22-2022, 11:21 PM - 2 Likes   #3298
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
When I had my second shot I had an intense 3 hour fever.

I had my booster and had an intense 12 hour incapacitating fever. I went to the sink to get tap water and shook so violently on the way back I didn't have any water. My sheets were soaked in sweat and the 2 towels and my 3 shirts. 3 days to normal. I am not looking forward to a time where another is suggested.

I took one for the community. I am not the weakest link. blah blah blah political blah.
My better half and I are twice shot and boosted. No aftereffects at all, no fever, no shakes, no sweats, nothing.

I can't get any sympathy -- poor little me. The only shot mix that gave me fits was the Shingles, Pneumonia and flu shot all at once in 2018. Down with a 101-degree F fever for a day and a half. Covid-19 shots (Pfizer) are a piece of cake.
01-22-2022, 11:26 PM - 10 Likes   #3299
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
You can put that propaganda away, I had a pretty severe almost debilitating case of vertigo a day after my second shot and its still on going to this day There were thousands of adverse reactions like this reported into the VARES system with no recourse but to "tough" it out with these reactions to an experimental "vaccine". And now there is Omicron and we are still being lied to by the alphabet agencies and their heads about it all in hopes to scare the uninformed. These people are at best incompetent and at worst purposely lying about some of this.
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Well the answer is therapeutics and not vaccines at least until a dependable reliable vaccine can be thoroughly researched and proven before being deployed . Just as it should have been from the start of this debacle. You can blame that on a famous short little PHD who did the same thing during the aids epidemic era. Depend on a vaccine when other measures possibly could have help solve that problem. If therapeutics along with vaccines had been employed at the beginning of this 2 year nightmare instead of depending solely on experimental vaccines this debacle probably could have been ended a lot sooner. But noooooooo people were told to go home until you feel really lousy and then come on back to the hospital and we'll finish you off and file a report so we can collect a nice tidy bit of government cash.
When extremely strong opinions are stated in this manner, it is very difficult to try and counter any of them without there being a devolution into argument.
Your mind is made up, and that's OK.
I will only say that you and I will have to respectfully agree to disagree on how you see the whole covid era and its fallout.
01-23-2022, 01:13 AM - 11 Likes   #3300
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Exactly, it is hardly shocking if someone has a sore arm after an injection. Although I didn't have a sore arm after either Astra Zeneca jab or flu jab but did after Pfizer booster.
There seems to be a tendency these days to amplify and exaggerate problems. For example, it's no longer enough to say that you were feeling a bit down or anxious for a few days or weeks (something we all go through many, many times in life)... Now, an increasing number of folks insist on calling these undoubtedly-unpleasant but rather minor and common feelings "mental health issues". I think at least some claims of COVID-19 vaccine "side effects" are of this nature. I'm not sure of the reason, but my guess is it's linked to narcissism in social media.

I don't mean to imply there aren't genuine side-effects; I know from personal experience with my first Moderna booster (my second was fine), and especially my Mum's first AstraZeneca shot, that side-effects can be very real... but there's a big difference between one that renders you unable to function properly for months on end (my Mum's case) and one that simply makes you feel a little "off" for a day or two (my own).

It's an unpopular thing to say these days and doing so can risk one being "cancelled", but there are occasions where I roll my eyes and mutter "Man up!" under my breath...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-23-2022 at 01:52 AM.
Closed Thread