Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2020, 06:53 AM   #31

Now I remember the story about why cuff links were invented.

12-20-2020, 06:55 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it is more related to the quality of lens pen and hands using them, then a general rule...
12-20-2020, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
I think it is more related to the quality of lens pen and hands using them, then a general rule...
They all contain an abrasive substance. A higher quality abrasive is still an abrasive, and isn't really something one should be scraping across a lens element. Unless one finds cleaning marks to be desirable that is.
12-20-2020, 10:00 AM   #34
Pentaxian

A good lens pen is softer than the glass so won't scratch unless some harder grit gets missed by the initial brushing and trapped under the pen, especially if excessive force is used while cleaning. Some shoddy, counterfeit lens pens might be made with the wrong stuff and greatly increase risk of scratches.

The best cleaning advice I can offer is don't clean too often. Minor dust and smudges aren't visible in most photos.

My usual cleaning policy is to use a blower to get the dust off. If I see a spot after that, I might use the lens pen. If I see a lot of spots, it's time for a wet cleaning.

12-20-2020, 10:01 AM   #35
Lev
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
They all contain an abrasive substance. A higher quality abrasive is still an abrasive, and isn't really something one should be scraping across a lens element. Unless one finds cleaning marks to be desirable that is.
I wonder if these is some kind of a license for companies selling tools which are intended to touch very sensitive things like the lens surface? If so, they must be doing some tests, didn't see anything though.
12-20-2020, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Prince Harbinger Quote
...Especially using it on the soft, uncoated, and older lens.
Quoting this just because it's important. Old camera lenses and telescopes are more fragile than modern multicoated glass.
12-20-2020, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
I wonder if these is some kind of a license for companies selling tools which are intended to touch very sensitive things like the lens surface? If so, they must be doing some tests, didn't see anything though.
Here's a test on the official Lens Pen website. I haven't analyzed it and can't vouch for the validity of the test. Lab Test of Lens Cleaning Surface with LensPen©

12-20-2020, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #38
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

As I've already stated, I wouldn't use a LensPen myself... but NASA deemed it good enough for use on the ISS...
12-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #39
Pentaxian

What I've found, over the past number of years when I wander into a camera shop, is that the old fashioned fluid lens cleaner, special tissues and blower brush are generally nowhere to be seen and when I ask for this stuff, the push is on from store personnel to buy a lens pen. The usual no one uses that old stuff anymore, what you need and we can sell you is the lens pen.
12-20-2020, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

seems we go through this topic 1-2 X /year....for a general look at various cleaning methods:
Best camera lens cleaners in 2020 | Digital Camera World

Carbon tipped lens type designs will not scratch your camera lens or glasses. But it depends if there are any larger foreign substances on the lenses, in which case rubbing the lens surface will scratch. So blow off dirt first, then clean. The carbon attracts the oil and dirt, then you recharge the tip with more carbon for the next time. The only problem we found in our office using the device, the applicator tip only covers a few mm so you need to go in a circular pattern all over the lens, time consuming, then check the lens as you may have missed some overlapping areas. Sam eproblem we noticed when cleaning lenses in glasses. Sales rep, who we know very well, told us we were the only one having these problems.

Microfibre cloths are usually included with camera bodies, all lenses, and even with $50k eye imaging equipment. The synthetic fibres are smooth and fine enough to not scratch lenses and absorb the oil and films. Again, larger particles need to be blown off forst. Eventually the cloth absorbs too much foreign material and does not clean properly. At that point, the cloth is to be thrown out. Cleaning these type of cloths will result in the fibres becoming looser and possibly scratching a lens. The larger and thicker cloths used for i.e. cleaning a TV screen have larger diameter fibres and can be washed and reused. So generally for cleaning cameras or glasses, use lens cleaner on cloth, clean, use a dry part of the cloth to finish drying.

Lens paper is so finely made that when wet it will not scratch and the alcohol applied chemical will evaporate by itself.

A shirt, silk scarf, etc., may feel soft but the rough edges of the fibres will eventually scratch your lenses. Which is why you will notic lots of fine scratches on patient's glasses when that is how they clean them.

Best source now for all the necessary items, just like almost everything else, Amazon.
12-20-2020, 11:56 AM   #41
Lev
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Here's a test on the official Lens Pen website. I haven't analyzed it and can't vouch for the validity of the test. Lab Test of Lens Cleaning Surface with LensPen©
hmm.. heavy material to read them all, but so far:

"Microphotograph of a lens surface cleaned with a high quality Lens Cleaning Tissue for 10 seconds"

Interesting if they claim that this is a permanent mark...(?)
12-20-2020, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
hmm.. heavy material to read them all, but so far:

"Microphotograph of a lens surface cleaned with a high quality Lens Cleaning Tissue for 10 seconds"

Interesting if they claim that this is a permanent mark...(?)
I also looked at the lenspen.com site and the photos. There is nothing written, as far as I could find, as to what specific materials, cloths, papers, were used to clean the lenses. Second, one does not clean a lens, glasses or camera, without it being wet with cleaning solution or even one’s breath. Otherwise...it scratches. Last, I am not sure what RF999 AR coating was used (no manufacturer stayed) and the current AR coatings are very resistant to scratches, in general. I am not against the product, have used it in my office, but there is a lack of details on the very long write up on the company’s website.
12-23-2020, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As I've already stated, I wouldn't use a LensPen myself... but NASA deemed it good enough for use on the ISS...
In space no one can hear you scream
12-23-2020, 07:36 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EnglishBob Quote
In space no one can hear you scream
Now stand aside, worthy dust blob!

*sssritch*

'Tis but a... meteor streak.
12-23-2020, 08:57 AM   #45

I've never used a lens pen. Was always leery of them to begin with.