Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2021, 02:21 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Gerry Marsden (of Gerry and The Pacemakers) dies, aged 78

In the news today, the sad passing of Gerry Marsden at 78 years of age after a short illness.

I'm not sure if Marsden was known outside the UK, but over here Gerry and The Pacemakers became a hit band in the 1960s, managed by Brian Epstein (who also managed that other up-and-coming Liverpool band, The Beatles). With hits including "How Do You Do It", "I Like It", "You'll Never Walk Alone", "It's Gonna Be Alright", "I'm the One", "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying" and "Ferry Cross the Mersey", they were an indelible part of British 1960s music culture, and several of their songs remain popular to this day.

Although their mainstream popularity waxed and waned before my time, I enjoyed their music as a kid growing up in the 1970s. My favourite then, and now, is "Ferry Cross the Mersey"...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-03-2021 at 04:24 PM.
01-03-2021, 03:02 PM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A sad day. Time creeps by (creeping faster as you get older). I was right in the 60s in my teens. "I like Ferry Cross the Mersey" too.
01-03-2021, 03:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I was a teenager in the '60's, when Gerry and the Pacemakers first hit the 'scene' in North America. Think they were on the Ed Sullivan Show. My favourite song is the same as yours..."Ferry Cross the Mersey."

I liked his singing, his style, the Pacemakers' presentation, sort of understated compared to other bands.

Sad to hear. RIP Gerry.
01-06-2021, 06:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm not sure if Marsden was known outside the UK,
They were big down under,it was a great era with the CavernClub being the place to be!

I bought their music in the mid 60$ and still own it($ingles and EP$)...I'll have to put it on.