Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2021, 02:17 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Apple is still apple.

Now 10 years away from seeing many published reports on the durability of Apple product, I found this surprise on the CBC yesterday. Turns out Apple is still the most reliable.

Which smartphone, laptop and tablet brands break down the most? We asked over 3,000 Canadians to find out | CBC News

01-09-2021, 03:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Apple stock is extremely durable.
01-09-2021, 04:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My MacMini is FAST!
01-09-2021, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The iPhone 5s holds strong for years. And it’s just the right size. They have forgotten about the importance of that lately. You almost can’t tell if you have bought a phone or a tablet nowadays. Apple stuff is durable. Built nicely. The best thing after Nokia. I still use the kit charger.. so well made.

01-09-2021, 04:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ipad are thought , I have an early one , still working and we have 2 newer one working flawlessy. My Samsung tablet was garbage after 1 year...
01-09-2021, 05:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Most of my posts on PF are from a ten year old iPad,still going strong.
01-09-2021, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They might be reliable but i wouldn't buy an apple product if they were the last company on Earth

01-09-2021, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
They might be reliable but i wouldn't buy an apple product if they were the last company on Earth
Well aren't you just all in our faces.
01-09-2021, 07:08 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Every Apple product I have owned has lasted well past the point where it has become obsolete. I'm using a 5 year old Mac mini. I have an 8 year old iPad that still works fine. I upgraded to an IPad Pro last year because some of the apps I needed would no longer run (like my car insurance app and a couple of banks). I still have a perfectly usable but obsolete iPhone 5s in a drawer somewhere. It got used for a while last year when my wifes Android phone died until we could get another phone. Down in the basement is an Apple lle we used decades ago back in the 80's. I played with it a couple of years ago. It would start up fine but the floppy drive wouldn't read anything. I have an Apple Watch also. It's a series 3 and still current. It's an excellent smartwatch but sucks as a serious exercise tracker so I rarely wear it anymore in favor of a Garmin Fenix 6.
01-09-2021, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Well aren't you just all in our faces.
Don't worry Norm, I feel exactly the same way about Dell
01-09-2021, 07:23 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I'm using a 5 year old Mac mini. .
Mine is almost 12, but it's mostly a media server now.
01-10-2021, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
Don't worry Norm, I feel exactly the same way about Dell
My wife got a Dell Laptop and it has had issues three different times. Fortunately (I guess) she bought a extended warranty on it, but it is still aggravating to have to box it up every four months and send it away to be repaired. I don't think I would buy another of their products based on this experience.
01-10-2021, 03:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My wife got a Dell Laptop and it has had issues three different times. Fortunately (I guess) she bought a extended warranty on it, but it is still aggravating to have to box it up every four months and send it away to be repaired. I don't think I would buy another of their products based on this experience.
Nor would I. They left me (and my business) swinging in the breeze for a month while they refused to fix a problem until they finally relented and got a technician to come and fix it. They cost me countless lost hours. If they had simply replaced it with another laptop straight away then I'd have been back up and running and I'd be a customer for life. It would have cost them maybe a couple of hundred dollars (loose change for a company that size), but instead they faffed about and I'll never buy another Dell as long as I live.
01-22-2021, 09:57 PM   #14
Pentaxian

My most reliable devices have been audio gear and video game consoles. Plus my vintage Wyse WY-60 terminal I picked up from a company a few years ago changing out their main frame which somehow still works despite 24 hour operation for over 20 years.

I think the article is a bit flawed though. They're comparing devices like the LG thin q which was a 250 dollar feature phone to apple which literally doesn't sell a phone under 400.

Apple just doesn't make cheap commodity products. I'd be more interested in a more scientific comparison between what their products actually compete against.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 01-22-2021 at 10:04 PM.
01-23-2021, 12:48 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

My cheap ($139, incl set up) Samsung phone is 6 years old. Works fine. Drag-and-drop files. iTunes? No thanks.