01-12-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
favorite " local " eating estabishments care to recommend any

when I travel, which I hope to do, again, soon

I like to avoid the chain restaurants and " tourist traps "

so I like to know good local eating spots

here in Topeka I recommend a " hole in the wall " little spot called Bradley's Corner Cafe

https://www.bradleyscornercafe.com/

[ Bradley has recently retired, he sold out to the long time cook, but still makes the pies ]

you have to have a slice of their pie

and one I found years ago in New Orleans - Le Croissant d'Or

LE CROISSANT D'OR, New Orleans - French Quarter - Menu, Prices & Restaurant Reviews - Tripadvisor

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-12-2021 at 03:30 PM.
01-12-2021, 02:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tom Wahl's has really good burgers. For finer dining The Johnson House in Churchville, NY.
01-12-2021, 02:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Come to south Mississippi off I10 in Jackson county, there is a place that serves the best BBQ anywhere called "The Shed". Serves BBQ, cold sweet tea and Blues music.
01-12-2021, 02:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The Reading Room cafe, Kelling, Norfolk UK - huge portions, well-cooked home made cakes etc, and really friendly staff, even when Grockles invade in the summer. Dogs are also welcome, with a shelter provided for them for inclement weather. And, two years ago, Waxwings in a tree right outside !!

01-12-2021, 06:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

In Lake George, NY, I highly recommend Gaslight on Canada St (Rt 9, the main drag). It's reasonably priced, great service and a friendly atmosphere. A short distance away off the main drag on Dieskau St. is Bebob's Backstreet BBQ. They cater mostly the the motorcycle crowd but it's very laid back, very old school and has local live entertainment playing almost every night and non bikers and families are always welcome. As the name implies, BBQ is the main menu. Both places have a bar and are open year around.
01-12-2021, 06:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Albuquerque few place:
Vinaigrette salad and sandwich very good .
La Madeleine French bistro
If like smoke meat Rudy’s
Very good Italian food call Paizano’s
Good French style bakery LeChantilly
01-12-2021, 10:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my experience, most hole-in-the wall places have stunk. The food was overpriced and not the quality all the locals raved it to be. I can only think of a couple of exceptions.

Big Mama's House of Southern Cuisine in Pittsburgh, PA. To be honest, I'm not sure if this place still exists, because I only went once before she moved into a bigger location and I hadn't been back to Pitts. Great BBQ. I went with a small group of friends during a convention and found it by accident, more or less. When we got back to the convention place, word quickly spread and she sold out her entire weekend worth of food one that Friday. Oops? XD

The other is/was Joe's Texas BBQ in Green Bay, WI. Stopped in there once and it was awesome. Having grown up in Texas myself, it got my seal of approval. They recently changed their name and now specialize in "hemp infused" BBQ (whatever that means). Never heard of that before, and not sure I want to try it, so I can't say if they are still worth looking at.

If you consider bigger/established places, Prime Quarter has a few stores in Wisconsin and I think one in northern Illinois. It's a steakhouse where you can grill your own. The one in Green Bay has two large charcoal grills where patrons can grill however they want, with various seasonings if needed. The menu is simple, just order a steak dinner and that's about it for food. That includes the salad bar, Texas toast (which you also cook on the grill), and whatever cut of beef you want. They also have fish, and a few other options. If you don't want to grill yourself, they will do so for a nominal fee. The cooks will also help and give you pointers if needed.
01-13-2021, 03:17 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
In my experience, most hole-in-the wall places have stunk. The food was overpriced and not the quality all the locals raved it to be. . . . .
" hole in the wall " [ the physical size ] isn't the category

good food at a local restaurant at good prices is what is being sought in this thread

regardless of size of the establishment

01-13-2021, 12:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
" hole in the wall " [ the physical size ] isn't the category
I figured, and that wasn't my intent in that post. A hole in the wall place to me is generally an out of the way place, not really in the middle of other restaurants, not part of a chain, and not really advertised except by word of mouth.
01-13-2021, 02:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In Billings: Burger Dive, Red Rooster, Hog Wild Cafe, Crazy Mary's, Fiesta Mexicana, Grand Garden. There's more I haven't tried yet.
01-13-2021, 02:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmmm....'tasty' thread!

IF in Ft. Worth, Texas....looking for a good burger, then my recommendation is Kincaid's Hamburgers. A small place that was originally a grocery store (40's maybe) with a small meat market in the back of the store. I recommend the jalapeno burger myself....

KINCAID'S]KINCAID'S HAMBURGERS, Fort Worth - 4901 Camp Bowie Blvd - Menu, Prices & Restaurant Reviews - Tripadvisor HAMBURGERS, Fort Worth - 4901 Camp Bowie Blvd - Menu, Prices & Restaurant Reviews - Tripadvisor
01-13-2021, 03:21 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dipo 1 Quote
Come to south Mississippi off I10 in Jackson county, there is a place that serves the best BBQ anywhere called "The Shed". Serves BBQ, cold sweet tea and Blues music.
Going to try this out as we regularly travel that way on the way to Madison, La. to visit our son and his family.
01-13-2021, 03:47 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The Tides Tavern here in Gig Harbor. Wonderful chowder and fish&chips, several very tasty local beers on tap. During the non-rainy season the deck seating is great for viewing the Harbor and traffic in & out. Accessible via land and sea with their own dock, and even dockside service.