Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2021, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Here in my part of the country, this sort of thing makes folks really "flustrated."
But only if it "discombobulated" them, too.

"So," and "Well,", together with "Ummm", "Uhhh", and "Yes" (outside the context of an affirmative response) are all filler words, and reveal anxiety about the conversation, or a lack of preparedness in the subject matter. (Although "Well", in particular, could indicate that the following statement only has a handshake relationship with the truth. I always think of parodies of Ronald Reagan when this subject comes up.)

I like commas. (And parenthetical asides, too!)

Kirk B.

01-16-2021, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here in my part of the country, this sort of thing makes folks really "flustrated."
What do you do to "diffuse" [defuse] their flustration?

Seriously though, people get annoyed because spelling and grammatical errors impair comprehension of the text by potential readers.
01-16-2021, 07:55 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I'm just happy to have the privilege to participate in an international forum in which the quality of communication and exchange is very high.

As long as I can understand the meaning, I don't trip over spelling variations.

Another word we see for camera lens is the French l'objectif.

- Craig
would it be a faux pas to say l'objectife ?
01-16-2021, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
would it be a faux pas to say l'objectife ?

That spelling would be fine when referring to an item found in a shoppe that sells optiks.

01-16-2021, 08:25 AM - 4 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Name:  139464266_1847324088762984_1745753472851364384_n.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  21.3 KB
01-16-2021, 08:34 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I know it shouldn’t make me crazy. I know we have a lot of members who are not native speakers of English. But I cringe when I see Lense. I understand how irregular English is and I see the logic for why it seems correct. I also get that language evolves.

However when I see lense, I have to resist posting a correction. It feels petty and rude, even a private message seems aggressive.

How’s do others feel and what if anything do you do?

This "lense" thing seems rather "benign".

Have encountered for worse spelling errors on this forum, and this "far worse" compounded by the fact that, many of the errors were by "native" English language users / speakers.
(For non-native users / speakers, it will be more "forgivable").

So, better to just close both eyes and not let it make you go crazy.
Life too short.
01-16-2021, 10:00 AM   #22
Pentaxian

@jensE [quote I'll need to keep that phrase in mind when I politely ask an SUV driver to not park on the sidewalk in front of the boxing gym or the guy with the Neo-Germanic tattoos to pick up after his Rottweiler quote]

Wait for him to depart, grunting monosyllabic Neanderthal oaths under his halitosised breath - then collect the deposit yourself, and put the plastic bag (or 'baggie', although in the UK that refers more to loose trousers) neatly in his exhaust pipe. Hopefully, he will come to the rear of his vehicle to investigate in time to receive the hot, aromatic ejecta in his face or on his clothing.

01-18-2021, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is that just putting together flustered+frustrated?
01-18-2021, 10:00 AM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
pet peeve

dating from my childhood

[ and not particularly current with the modern age and spell check ]

" how do you spell _________________ "

look it up in the dictionary "

how do you look up a word in a dictionary unless you can spell the word ?

we had an 8 inch thick Oxford English dictionary at home
01-18-2021, 10:16 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Is that just putting together flustered+frustrated?
Probably. It could just be chronic mispronunciation of a word that is now ingrained generationally in parts of the country.
01-18-2021, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
pet peeve

dating from my childhood

[ and not particularly current with the modern age and spell check ]

" how do you spell _________________ "

look it up in the dictionary "

how do you look up a word in a dictionary unless you can spell the word ?

we had an 8 inch thick Oxford English dictionary at home
Dictionaries are extremely useful tools - until you realise that very few of them have an index. And if you spend all day sitting and searching through a dictionary, you may end up with Thesaurus.

On a slightly more serious note, the sound of a word is not always any help when looking it up, as many words are spelled in a way that does not reflect the usual sound. One that springs to mind is 'Phenomenon'.

Again, spell check has its uses, but pays no attention to intention or meaning - as in their, there or they're.

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 01-18-2021 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Need haircut.
02-07-2021, 02:27 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I know it shouldn’t make me crazy. I know we have a lot of members who are not native speakers of English. But I cringe when I see Lense. I understand how irregular English is and I see the logic for why it seems correct. I also get that language evolves.

However when I see lense, I have to resist posting a correction. It feels petty and rude, even a private message seems aggressive.

How’s do others feel and what if anything do you do?
The word "lense" is used in the UK, and probably in most other ex British colonies. American English has evolved from standard English English and the word "lens" is used in the US. There must be thousands upon thousands of differences in the spelling of words in the US and UK so we should accept this with humor - excuse me, humour.
02-07-2021, 02:46 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
The word "lense" is used in the UK, and probably in most other ex British colonies. American English has evolved from standard English English and the word "lens" is used in the US. There must be thousands upon thousands of differences in the spelling of words in the US and UK so we should accept this with humor - excuse me, humour.
No it isn't. Why do you think "lense" is used in the UK?

02-07-2021, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

It may be 'used', but this does not indicate that its usage is correct. Many words are misused, especially now that education has become optional in schools.

I did once see a sign saying 'Contact Len's Centre' - so I called the number given, and asked to speak to Len.
02-07-2021, 04:04 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
The word "lense" is used in the UK, and probably in most other ex British colonies.
What?

Please show us proof.

You have been misinformed, Psoo!

Last edited by clackers; 02-07-2021 at 04:49 PM.