Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2021, 04:21 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
The word "lense" is used in the UK, and probably in most other ex British colonies.
Nonsense. From what source did you get that preposterous idea?

But to the OP: Brad, mate, just breathe and let it be

02-07-2021, 05:54 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
No it isn't. Why do you think "lense" is used in the UK?
I think "lense" is the spelling used in the UK because I was born and raised there. I lived and was educated in that country for the first 25 years of my life. The Brits have always used this spelling. When I emigrated to the US I found that the word was spelt "lens". I now use this spelling because I am in the US.
02-07-2021, 06:23 PM - 3 Likes   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think "lense" is the spelling used in the UK because I was born and raised there. I lived and was educated in that country for the first 25 years of my life.
So please show us links to UK usage of that spelling!

We have quite a few Brits in this forum, BTW. And Aussies, Kiwis, South Africans, Canadians, et al. This will come as a shock to them.
02-07-2021, 06:49 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess I have to eat big slice of humble pie. I checked my British textbook on physics and it uses the spelling "lens". When I studied physics in Manchester, UK, I distinctly remember spelling it "lense". Must be a Manchester thing. I can't believe I have been spelling it incorrectly all these years. However, as I said, I always spelt it the correct way since I arrived in the US. I must stop thinking that nobody knows English better than I does.

02-07-2021, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I must stop thinking that nobody knows English better than I does.
I hope this was a deliberate joke
02-07-2021, 08:07 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess I have to eat big slice of humble pie. I checked my British textbook on physics and it uses the spelling "lens". When I studied physics in Manchester, UK, I distinctly remember spelling it "lense". Must be a Manchester thing. I can't believe I have been spelling it incorrectly all these years. However, as I said, I always spelt it the correct way since I arrived in the US. I must stop thinking that nobody knows English better than I does.
You had me worried for a moment! However it does put all into perspective. It is just a word and it is more important that we all understand each other than get every rule right.
02-07-2021, 08:50 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I studied physics in Manchester, UK, I distinctly remember spelling it "lense". Must be a Manchester thing.
No "humble pie eating" needed.
We are all learning, day in day out.

I am really keen to know, whether this is really how it is in Manchester.

"Variations in language" "by region" (ie "regions" within same country) isnt something that is out of ordinary.

Is there any Mancunian on forum who can shed some light on this.

This is most interesting.

02-07-2021, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Must be a Manchester thing.
Again, I doubt it.

Happy to be shown otherwise.

Maybe the Gallagher brothers spelt it that way, but they have trouble spelling their own names.
02-07-2021, 11:55 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While I find these sorts of spelling errors mildly irritating I would never correct someone publicly - that would be a far greater indiscretion IMO. The one thing that does annoy me almost more than anything else though is the use of "like" as every second word in a sentence. It's an epidemic.
02-08-2021, 04:18 AM - 3 Likes   #40
bxf
Veteran Member

Warning: rant ahead.

Although I am quite fussy about such things at times, "lense" is not one that annoys me, especially since we have many native non-English speakers here. This is nothing compared to, e.g., apostrophes all over the place where they don't belong (third person verbs, plurals (Dutch speakers are excused)), "high rate of speed" (this is somewhat like saying "large amount of quantity"), "based on" suddenly becoming "based off"/"based off of" (I want to puke!), "loose" instead of "lose", transposing the meanings of e.g. and i.e., etc, etc, etc.

I don't know why, but sometimes it seems that all it takes is for one TV personality to say something, and after that it's just a matter of time before the rest of the population follows. Why is there such a propensity for grasping incorrect usage of words, given that this usage does not represent any advantage over the correct usage?
02-08-2021, 04:48 AM   #41
dbs
Pentaxian

If a TV personality said it or wrote it it must be right .....
02-08-2021, 05:07 AM   #42
Pentaxian

How long does it take for a 'Personality' to become a 'Celebrity' ? Isn't a celebrity someone who has done something to be celebrated ? To my mind, this does not include transient appearances on television shows.
02-08-2021, 07:43 PM   #43
dbs
Pentaxian

Social media has slanted all the old ' norms ' these days.
02-09-2021, 12:39 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
How long does it take for a 'Personality' to become a 'Celebrity' ? Isn't a celebrity someone who has done something to be celebrated ? To my mind, this does not include transient appearances on television shows.
That's why we have such fast shutter speeds.... to capture the moment between someone moving from an internet nobody to latest celeb!

No need for any depth (of field) though.

02-09-2021, 01:32 AM - 3 Likes   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Social media has slanted all the old ' norms ' these days.
I bet old Norm’s not too happy about being slanted!!