Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2021, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Just Got Progressive Lenses

Hi everyone!! I just got my new progressive lenses for my eyeglasses, and I am thrilled so far!! I was a little nervous about them an I didn’t know how they would work with using the OVF on my KP, but everything is GREAT! I had been putting off getting them for a few years, but my arms finally got too short, so I had to take the plunge. My eye doctor also takes photos and assured me there would be no problem, and he was right. I have been having fun reading the tiny print in the ads in my old Sky and Telescope magazines, which I could not do before! Anyway, if anyone is debating about getting progressive lenses for your glasses, I say go for it. It only took me about a day to adjust to them in normal use, and they have not hampered my photography at all! I was even able to set the font on the KP menu back to “normal” from “large”!

01-27-2021, 09:33 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the club
01-27-2021, 10:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just be sure to get glasses that are high enough. I had a blur on the monitor in the transition zone when I first got a "comfort zone" of +0.5, my optometrist actually contacted the supplier for the glasses, because requirements like this were new to her. They shared the cost to provide me a new pair free of charge :-). My newer glasses are a bit taller, so they cover the monitor in the upper zone and I loved the "comfort zone" for such dimly lit moments with small print in the supermarket. Now it's time for more than +0.5 ... so thanks for the report, looking forward to have new glasses made.

I also opted for 2nd highest diffraction index (~1.6 instead of 1.8), again after my optometrist checked the dispersion data with the supplier. The 1.6 index material has a lot less dispersion. Something that producers don't cover in their normal product data. Still, when I edit photos and want to check CA correction, I have to go to high magnification, otherwise I can "compensate" by turning my head a little. Annoying, but unavoidable with a single lightweight glass.
01-27-2021, 02:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I did try varifocals a few years ago, but the 'upper zone' made it impossible for me to read titles on higher shelves in bookshops, or see the names on packaging in Supermarkets, so I've settled for a pair of reading glasses and a distance pair, which is slightly stronger than my prescription really requires, so that I can see birds in the distance before raising my bins. They also work well for photography, and have virtually cured me of 'chimping', as I can't see the screen while wearing them !! If I am using Live View, I use the reading glasses.

01-27-2021, 03:59 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I did try varifocals a few years ago, but the 'upper zone' made it impossible for me to read titles on higher shelves in bookshops, or see the names on packaging in Supermarkets, so I've settled for a pair of reading glasses and a distance pair, which is slightly stronger than my prescription really requires, so that I can see birds in the distance before raising my bins. They also work well for photography, and have virtually cured me of 'chimping', as I can't see the screen while wearing them !! If I am using Live View, I use the reading glasses.
I'm sorry they didn't work out for you. My distance is even better now, but I was near-sighted anyway, plus astigmatism. Maybe you have eye issues that make progressives contraindicated? Also, what does "raising my bins" mean??
01-27-2021, 04:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
I'm sorry they didn't work out for you. My distance is even better now, but I was near-sighted anyway, plus astigmatism. Maybe you have eye issues that make progressives contraindicated? Also, what does "raising my bins" mean??
When I was trying to read book titles on shelves above my eye-line, I needed to tilt my head too far back to be comfortable, as I could only read them through the lower portion of the lenses.

Sorry - birder talk. Means bringing my binoculars up to my eye-level. I forget not everyone goes birding !!
01-27-2021, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
When I was trying to read book titles on shelves above my eye-line, I needed to tilt my head too far back to be comfortable, as I could only read them through the lower portion of the lenses.

Sorry - birder talk. Means bringing my binoculars up to my eye-level. I forget not everyone goes birding !!
OH! I get it! "Bins" as in BINOS!! Just a shorter version of the short version!! Now I'll know when I hear it again!

---------- Post added 01-27-21 at 06:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Welcome to the club
Thanks! I got them on Monday, and Tuesday was my 49th birthday, so they were my present!!

07-01-2021, 10:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Haha welcome to the club.

And this is the reason I'll never use a mirrorless camera. And for anyone who wants to know why, just wait for old age and it will become obvious!
07-01-2021, 11:04 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Haha welcome to the club.

And this is the reason I'll never use a mirrorless camera. And for anyone who wants to know why, just wait for old age and it will become obvious!
I didn't have to wait for old age - it crept up on me sneaky-like ! And I can tell all you kids (under 70s) - it ain't worth waiting for ! Be told.
07-18-2021, 03:41 PM   #10

Original Poster
I didn't have to wait for old age - it crept up on me sneaky-like ! And I can tell all you kids (under 70s) - it ain't worth waiting for ! Be told.
Ya know, they say memory is the second thing to go when you get old. What's the first?? RELEVANCE!!
07-23-2021, 01:59 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I'm trying to accommodate with mines.
There's distortion. There's CA. And I have to move my head all over to see with the best clarity.
07-24-2021, 03:26 AM   #12

Can't stand'em, myself. I rely heavily on my peripheral vision, and "progressive" lenses give the effect of looking through a little porthole. I've got one pair of glasses without any extra magnification at all to correct astigmatism & mild myopia, just for use with the OVF - glass lenses, not plastic, because of the difference in the refractive index. And for general use, a separate pair of bi-focals. Only problem with bi-focals is that you have to crane your neck looking down to see where your feet are when you're on steps, rocks, etc. - of course that's not a problem with my special photography glasses.
07-27-2021, 11:30 PM   #13
Pentaxian

It's getting to the point where I have to take the plunge. This makes it easier.
07-28-2021, 07:04 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm trying to accommodate with mines.
There's distortion. There's CA. And I have to move my head all over to see with the best clarity.
Your eyes will adjust to the differences of progressive lenses.

I had bifocals and trifocals for over 25 years, tried progressives once and went back to my trifocals immediately. I just didn't give them a chance. The second time I gave them a try, I gave them a fair trial and never looked back.

Last year I had laser surgery to remove cataracts. Now all I need are readers, but I still wear progressives – I just can't get used to taking my glasses on and off all day long. So my glasses now go from the reader adjustment through a slight midrange adjustment for the computer to a clear lens for distance.
07-28-2021, 07:41 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been wearing progressive lenses for almost a decade, maybe longer.

As my vision changed through the years, I've had several prescriptions. I currently wear lenses made by Nikon -- they're the best I've ever had. Very low geometric distortion, lower CA than my previous lenses, and the mid-distance zone is relatively wide. Of course, I still need to move my head around to obtain the sharpest vision, and the minimum focus distance is not as short as I would like.

They're easy to clean, the surfaces are hydrophobic, and the anti-reflection coating is very good. Overall, I'm very satisfied with them.

- Craig