Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2021, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's sad though, when I can watch a whole 3.5 hour American football game the next day in 40 minutes on youtube and miss nothing important.
American football is not as much a sport as it is an advertising platform. 3.5+ hours consumed with brief portions of it being actual game play.
It's slightly less boring than golf but not nearly so exciting and fast paced as bowling or curling. No, that's not sarcasm. I actually like watching bowling and curling and there's a lot more action in both than in football.
Football could be entertaining if they were given an hour to play a one hour game instead of all afternoon. It's gotten so that if the ball isn't moving, the clock isn't running.
Take the damned whistles away from the refs. Start the game, play it for an hour, stop and add up the points. (Okay, maybe keep the half-time show)

02-08-2021, 05:43 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I'd say ice hockey has football/soccer beat, easily. Similar concept, but much faster, and often "non-stop" end-to-end action.

Aussie Rules is a rough and tough game.

I think they have a university course somewhere for those who want to understand it
Basketball does pretty good for up and down the floor with score frequently over 100 points. The games are interrupteded ro commercial, somebody has to pay the bills. But I cn watch a college game in 2 hours (still 40 minutes in the replay, just like football even though it takes 1.5 less to play the game. And there's nothing quite like March Madness.
02-08-2021, 05:52 AM   #18
bxf
Veteran Member

Basketball does pretty good for up and down the floor with score frequently over 100 points. The games are interrupteded ro commercial, somebody has to pay the bills. But I cn watch a college game in 2 hours (still 40 minutes in the replay, just like football even though it takes 1.5 less to play the game. And there's nothing quite like March Madness.
Yes, basketball can provide some beautiful moments. I've been watching and enjoying highlights on YT quite a bit. There was a time, though, when I found it quite annoying to watch an entire game, because it looked like any time a player merely breathed within 30cm/12in of an opposing a player, a foul was called
02-08-2021, 06:02 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Yes, basketball can provide some beautiful moments. I've been watching and enjoying highlights on YT quite a bit. There was a time, though, when I found it quite annoying to watch an entire game, because it looked like any time a player merely breathed within 30cm/12in of an opposing a player, a foul was called
Player control is absolutely essential, the floors are hard, a lot of guys are flying though the air with 30 inch verticals, and the players aren't wearing any equipment. Some teams are skilled in turning it into a contact sport. If you ever watch the old Detroit bad boys they were one of the teams that turned basketball into football. They were ruining the game.

I coached for 15 years in High School. So, I'm a little partial to it. Like any game, it makes more sense if you understand what's going on.

Last edited by normhead; 02-08-2021 at 06:56 AM.
02-08-2021, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd say ice hockey has football/soccer beat, easily. Similar concept, but much faster, and often "non-stop" end-to-end action.

Aussie Rules is a rough and tough game.

I think they have a university course somewhere for those who want to understand it

Yeah. I used to play a lot of hockey. Love the game. I have heard that if you go to college and join the cricket team it is sometimes possible to finish the game before you graduate.

The Genesee Country Village Museum near where I live has a baseball tournament every fall. Teams come form a few states around and even one or two from Canada. They play using 1870's rules. The hurler (pitcher) has to throw the ball in such a way that the batter can actually hit it. No balls or strikes are called unless the umpire feels that the umpire feels that the hurler is not delivering the ball properly or the batter is not swinging at "good enough" pitches. The object of the game is to put the ball in play not to strike out the batter. That version of baseball is actually fun to watch.
02-08-2021, 07:04 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Someone once punched me in the face in the handshake line up after a playoff game in hockey. The only time I've ever been assaulted in sports. I played, hockey, football, baseball, tennis, volleyball, soccer, and basketball. I was also speared in the neck once in pick up hockey game. Probably thousands of game over the years, and never experienced anything like it in any other sport. Hockey was the sport I stopped playing first. I'm just not interested in the mindless aggression.
02-08-2021, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #22
bxf
Veteran Member

Someone once punched me in the face...
...never experienced anything like it in any other sport.
How about here, on pentaxforums?

02-08-2021, 07:46 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
02-08-2021, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

How about here, on pentaxforums?
Nobody can find my face here. And those who have didn't want to punch it.
I've met about 5 Pentax forum members, none as as aggressive as hockey players.
But then I never played hockey against them so who knows. Hockey turns normal people into aggressive maniacs bent on destruction.
02-08-2021, 04:46 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nobody can find my face here. And those who have didn't want to punch it.
I've met about 5 Pentax forum members, none as as aggressive as hockey players.
But then I never played hockey against them so who knows. Hockey turns normal people into aggressive maniacs bent on destruction.
Probably the same ones who get that way behind the wheel of a car.

Last edited by gaweidert; 02-08-2021 at 04:53 PM.