Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2021, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Always watch your PayPal account !

Moderators: If this thread in inappropriate, please delete.

Hi everyone.

WARNING !! Always check your Paypal account(s) !!!

Just today, I have been "hit" with an unauthorized transaction at Paypal.

I have spent the entire day trying to figure out what has happened and, after having placed an online complaint at Paypal, I am told,via an email message, that I did authorize a "pre-authorized payment" but ....I really never did for that particular "vendor".
They can't help me because I am told that "I approved the transaction" and I sure did not !!!

Anyway, I will (might) be able to actually speak to someone at Paypal tomorrow (they were closed for direct contact today, Sunday) and hopefully recoup the money that has been stolen from me.

Once this is settled, I will likely cancel my Paypal account, which means that selling/buying stuff here at the Marketplace will be rather difficult because most members of Pentax Forums use Paypal for receiving payments/paying for items.

Thanks for reading.

Edited: not a PayPal fault --- but still WATCH your PayPal account regularly. Read the following posts for details.

Last edited by jpzk; 02-02-2021 at 02:27 PM.
01-31-2021, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Anyway, I will (might) be able to actually speak to someone at Paypal tomorrow (they were closed for direct contact today, Sunday) and hopefully recoup the money that has been stolen from me.Once this is settled, I will likely cancel my Paypal account
Although it might take several days (up to a couple of weeks?) to get this settled, PayPal has plenty of leverage over vendors and your odds of getting your money back are good. Paypal is also the most universal method of e-transfers, so you aren't limited to dealing with buyers and sellers from your own country. These days, nothing associated with the Internet is 100% reliable, but I wouldn't close your PayPal account, just use it as little as you can and continue to watch your account like a hawk.
01-31-2021, 06:42 PM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Although it might take several days (up to a couple of weeks?) to get this settled, PayPal has plenty of leverage over vendors and your odds of getting your money back are good. Paypal is also the most universal method of e-transfers, so you aren't limited to dealing with buyers and sellers from your own country. These days, nothing associated with the Internet is 100% reliable, but I wouldn't close your PayPal account, just use it as little as you can and continue to watch your account like a hawk.
Good advic(s)e above. I would also add, to change passwords often....................
01-31-2021, 07:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I am a bit worried that Paypal says, in an electronic manner (email), that I DID authorize this pre-approved payment and it is my responsibility to make sure I know with who I am dealing in the future !!!
Then they proceed to say that they stopped any future transaction coming from this "vendor" , blah, blah, blah ... and that my claim is not one that they can "reimburse" !

I appreciate your suggestion of not closing (yet) my Paypal account but, as they say: once bitten, twice shy!
Can't wait until I actually speak to someone tomorrow at Paypal.

---------- Post added 01-31-21 at 09:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Good advic(s)e above. I would also add, to change passwords often....................
Indeed, I do change my passwords often enough, especially when it comes to accounts dealing with money matters.

01-31-2021, 07:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Moderators: If this thread in inappropriate, please delete.

Hi everyone.

WARNING !! Check your Paypal account(s) !!!

Just today, I have been "hit" with an unauthorized transaction at Paypal.

I have spent the entire day trying to figure out what has happened and, after having placed an online complaint at Paypal, I am told,via an email message, that I did authorize a "pre-authorized payment" but ....I really never did for that particular "vendor".
They can't help me because I am told that "I approved the transaction" and I sure did not !!!

Anyway, I will (might) be able to actually speak to someone at Paypal tomorrow (they were closed for direct contact today, Sunday) and hopefully recoup the money that has been stolen from me.

Once this is settled, I will likely cancel my Paypal account, which means that selling/buying stuff here at the Marketplace will be rather difficult because most members of Pentax Forums use Paypal for receiving payments/paying for items.

Thanks for reading.
"Pre-authorised" with Paypal usually means that the user has set up a regular recurring payment with a particular vendor. This transaction of yours - Is it with someone you've dealt with before or is it a vendor unknown to you?
01-31-2021, 07:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Ok, you can change Paypal, to Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Sqare etc. The same thing could happen with all of them.

First , have you find out who is the culprit and how this was done . I would like to know who is the Vendor.
02-01-2021, 04:22 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
"Pre-authorised" with Paypal usually means that the user has set up a regular recurring payment with a particular vendor. This transaction of yours - Is it with someone you've dealt with before or is it a vendor unknown to you?
The problem has been resolved !

I spent many hours at the computer, firing messages/chat sessions to PayPal and ... eBay !!! A few more hours on the phone as well.
It was "someone" using an old (and closed for many years now - or that is what I thought) account/username and using eBay as a billing mechanism to fish money out of my PayPal account.
The people at eBay solved this -- so it wasn't PayPal fault -- and found that this "someone" was indeed a hacker/scammer. I've asked if they knew who this was .... nope! But, the money will be refunded to me.
Then, this old account will on "hold" for 30 days until I close it... they instructed me on how this would take place: a long and tedious process.

And no, I never placed such a "pre-authorised" transaction with eBay. And, it is not with someone I have dealt with in the past nor is it a vendor unknown to me.

Anyway,

---------- Post added 02-01-21 at 06:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Ok, you can change Paypal, to Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Sqare etc. The same thing could happen with all of them.

First , have you find out who is the culprit and how this was done . I would like to know who is the Vendor.
(See my previous post)
We don't know "who" the culprit is and eBay apparently cannot find out either. I'm not sure if they would actually be able to find a "someone" doing this.

02-01-2021, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great to hear it was not Paypal after all.
02-01-2021, 07:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great to hear it was not Paypal after all.
Yeah .... ! Maybe I should change my title now?
02-02-2021, 02:17 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah .... ! Maybe I should change my title now?
Good idea.
02-02-2021, 02:27 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good idea.
Done !!
02-02-2021, 02:50 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, you've cancelled your Paypal account?
02-02-2021, 02:59 PM   #13
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would also suggest, if possible, adding 2 factor authentication which makes it harder to hack into an account.

The other lesson I take from this is to be careful of old accounts and to make sure they are fully closed and disconnected from paypal.
02-02-2021, 03:11 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I was late in making a PayPal payment, so they called me, and sent me email after email.
Then I received the next month's bill and paid the total amount due.
Since then, I have received email after email trying to lure me into charging more, for things that they have no reason to expect me to want.
I'm going to charge nothing using them right now, so the bills in the immediate future should be for zero.
02-03-2021, 02:49 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm confused. I've never received a bill to pay from Paypal. The way Paypal typically works for me is that I use Paypal to make payments and Paypal is connected to my one debit/credit card so the money leaves my account instantly when I make a purchase using Paypal. Is that not how Paypal works by you?