Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2021, 10:43 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
So, you've cancelled your Paypal account?
I haven't, following suggestions from a few members via PM's.
Since it was not PayPal's fault, I'll keep it but I will also make sure to use a double ID procedure.

---------- Post added 02-03-21 at 12:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I would also suggest, if possible, adding 2 factor authentication which makes it harder to hack into an account.

The other lesson I take from this is to be careful of old accounts and to make sure they are fully closed and disconnected from paypal.
Doing that right now !
About the old account: I did go through the procedure to have it cancelled way back years ago ... apparently, it did not close or, most likely, it was my fault for not having checked again.

---------- Post added 02-03-21 at 12:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I was late in making a PayPal payment, so they called me, and sent me email after email.
Then I received the next month's bill and paid the total amount due.
Since then, I have received email after email trying to lure me into charging more, for things that they have no reason to expect me to want.
I'm going to charge nothing using them right now, so the bills in the immediate future should be for zero.
Seems like you were "fished" ?
What do you mean by "I'm going to charge nothing using them right now, so the bills in the immediate future should be for [u]zero" ?

02-03-2021, 01:09 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I'll keep it but I will also make sure to use a double ID procedure.
That's what you should do with any important account, certainly with all those that involve money. Additionally to a strong and unique password for each login! Don't forget to change the password to that eBay account and all your other accounts that might have the same password as that one, or that might be weak and easy to guess.
02-04-2021, 09:53 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I was late in making a PayPal payment, so they called me, and sent me email after email.
Then I received the next month's bill and paid the total amount due.
Since then, I have received email after email trying to lure me into charging more, for things that they have no reason to expect me to want.
I'm going to charge nothing using them right now, so the bills in the immediate future should be for zero.
So what you are saying is you have a PayPal credit card not a PayPal account that passes charges through to your Credit or Debit card accounts?
02-05-2021, 08:47 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So I logged into my Paypal account this morning to find that they state I've rec'd $76K over the past 7 days and spent $67K of it. LOL

02-06-2021, 08:37 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
That's what you should do with any important account, certainly with all those that involve money. Additionally to a strong and unique password for each login! Don't forget to change the password to that eBay account and all your other accounts that might have the same password as that one, or that might be weak and easy to guess.
eBay: once this issue is completely resolved (that the money has been reimbursed), it will be closed. In the meantime, a new and very complicated password has been done for this eBay account, just in case.
I usually have difficult/complex passwords for all accounts involving money and I change them regularly.

---------- Post added 02-06-21 at 10:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
So I logged into my Paypal account this morning to find that they state I've rec'd $76K over the past 7 days and spent $67K of it. LOL
You must have bought a very expensive camera!!
02-06-2021, 08:53 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Be careful out there. A few weeks ago, I got an email that looked like it was from PayPal. It said that a suspicious charge had been made to my account and they wanted me to log in and confirm whether it was me or not. There was a link in the email that looked like it was for PayPal, but the whole thing smelled fishy to me so I went to another computer and logged into my PayPal account. Sure enough, there was no pending charges on my account. In retrospect, I'm sure that had I clicked the link in the email and logged into my account, it would have stolen my password.
02-06-2021, 12:04 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

eBay: once this issue is completely resolved (that the money has been reimbursed), it will be closed. In the meantime, a new and very complicated password has been done for this eBay account, just in case.
I usually have difficult/complex passwords for all accounts involving money and I change them regularly.

---------- Post added 02-06-21 at 10:38 AM ----------

You must have bought a very expensive camera!!
As of this morning they show me receiving $258K over the past 90 days and spending $218K of it.

02-06-2021, 05:45 PM - 2 Likes   #23
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Be careful out there. A few weeks ago, I got an email that looked like it was from PayPal. It said that a suspicious charge had been made to my account and they wanted me to log in and confirm whether it was me or not. There was a link in the email that looked like it was for PayPal, but the whole thing smelled fishy to me so I went to another computer and logged into my PayPal account. Sure enough, there was no pending charges on my account. In retrospect, I'm sure that had I clicked the link in the email and logged into my account, it would have stolen my password.
In many email programs you can hover over a link and it will show the URL that the link will take you to if you click it. As long as you don't have an itchy trigger finger and might click by accident this is an easy way to see if a link is legitimate or not.
02-10-2021, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Right !

As a matter of fact, when I do receive such emails, I never open a link contained within it; I just go directly to "the source" itself.

---------- Post added 02-10-21 at 04:26 PM ----------

As of this morning they show me receiving $258K over the past 90 days and spending $218K of it.
You're kidding me, right?
02-10-2021, 02:30 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Right !

As a matter of fact, when I do receive such emails, I never open a link contained within it; I just go directly to "the source" itself.

---------- Post added 02-10-21 at 04:26 PM ----------

You're kidding me, right?
I was not kidding. Since then they removed the money in/money out sidebar for a few days and when it returned it's right.
02-15-2021, 09:27 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was not kidding. Since then they removed the money in/money out sidebar for a few days and when it returned it's right.
So, for a while, you were in a very enjoyable financial situation!
02-15-2021, 09:44 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also I received an email from PayPal looked like a 100 others from them, I mean it was an exact duplicate of there email address. the email said there had been some problems with my account and I needed to to click on the link below. Soooo not being the sharpest tack in the box I clicked. Went to a sight that wanted all my personal information, I mean all of it, I became suspicious, started looking through the site, TOTAL SCAM. Stopped and left the site.Contacted PayPal was told they did not send the email. BE DAMN CAREFUL OUT THERE THEY WANT YOUR INFO AND MONEY.
02-15-2021, 12:28 PM   #28
dlhawes

Cautionary note: now that "shrink-wrapped" terms and conditions are allowed by most states' laws (incl. California, where Ebay and Paypal are located), it is possible that you DID authorize such a transfer (though that clearly doesn't apply in this case) without even knowing it - all they're required to do is make the terms available to you, generally by a URL link somewhere on some page you'd have to go through to do whatever you're going to do. If that happens, then "I guess y'all jus' lose, suckah." If you don't like it, you can always go to arbitation in San Jose (or where the Paypal and Ebay terms and conditions require the arbitration to be held, some city in California).

I caution people that Paypal is not a bank and not a credit-card issuer for purposes of the Fair Credit Protection Act. I try to avoid doing business with anyone in California, anyway (I regard their legal system as too primitive to allow for reliable commerce), but especially don't do business with Paypal or Ebay. Try reading their terms and conditions carefully first and then see if you want to do business with them. Having some experience with the law, myself, I think you'd have to be nuts to agree to their terms. Of course, most people don't read the terms, wouldn't understand them if they did, and think (God knows why!) the terms won't apply to them. I especially like the part about how, if you have a dispute, you'll have to sacrifice your first-born son to Moloch as a prerequisite to arbitration. (Just kidding, of course, but not inconsistent with the draconian contracts that people are entering into blindly.)
02-15-2021, 12:38 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have no concerns with Paypal. Like everybody else doing business in New Zealand their terms mean squat as they fall subject to the Fair Trading Act and the Consumer Guarantee Act.
02-15-2021, 07:25 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dipo 1 Quote
Also I received an email from PayPal looked like a 100 others from them, I mean it was an exact duplicate of there email address. the email said there had been some problems with my account and I needed to to click on the link below. Soooo not being the sharpest tack in the box I clicked. Went to a sight that wanted all my personal information, I mean all of it, I became suspicious, started looking through the site, TOTAL SCAM. Stopped and left the site.Contacted PayPal was told they did not send the email. BE DAMN CAREFUL OUT THERE THEY WANT YOUR INFO AND MONEY.
I never click on a link sent via email unless it is from a sure source and that that link is being provided to me with my knowledge and acceptance/agreement prior to having it sent to me.

---------- Post added 02-15-21 at 09:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
it is possible that you DID authorize such a transfer (though that clearly doesn't apply in this case) without even knowing it - all they're required to do is make the terms available to you, generally by a URL link somewhere on some page you'd have to go through to do whatever you're going to do.
Can you give an example?
All I know is that "they" were able to reach an old account (eBay), mess with the email (a mix of two real email addresses) and proceed to authorize a pre-authorized payment.
eBay don't even have a clue on how it was carried out.