Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ohhhh nnoooo

I broke my mac , picked it up to bring back to the desk after using it in bed to watch one of the many movies I have, and put it down on my desk and heard the screen make a tiny noise and realised my thumb was pressing on it. Looked at the screen and phew it seemed ok. But when I turned it on I nearly broke out in tears, the screen is ruined
Not only that but all my pic's, photoshop CS3, email accounts, freinds email etc etc etc, has been lost, hopefully I can change hard drives with my second I mac to retrieve the info, but still I have lost my right arm.

11-16-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
Forum Member

Don't panic yet... You didn't say which Mac you have. I'm going to guess that its an iBook or Macbook. All you need to do is get the correct monitor adpater will allow you to connect to an external display. You'll be able to get the contents of the hard drive backed up to an external hard drive. Heck, if you don't want to pay for repairs you can leave your laptop connected to the monitor all the time.

If your other Mac is newer, you can also try the Target disk mode to do a transfer of the files
11-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Kami is completely right. You should not write off your computer; all your data is safe. Losing the screen definitely isn't a good thing, but it isn't disaster either. Heck, once you get the data off of it and wipe the hard drive, you can probably sell it on eBay.

If you post what kinds of computers you have I'm sure we can help you out. I even have an extra VGA adapter around here somewhere which I could send you if it would be of use.
11-17-2008, 01:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi guys, i have an i-mac 2.6GHz intel core duo, (running tiger) which i broke the screen and I have a slightly older 2GHz intel core (running leopard, as I just had the hard drive replaced) I hope this helps and you guys can give me some advice.

thanks for the reply Kami and jon

11-17-2008, 02:32 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I share your pain man, only in the reverse way. My display is fine, but my data is dying. I built a new system a few weeks ago and figured out just today that my new hard drive was probably defective out of the box. I have been desperately trying to get my pics and other data backed up to another drive and dvd as the bad sectors multiply. So far, I have been lucky and the OS is still working.

Ironically, I discovered the issue when a routine backup failed with a fatal I/O error.

I am crossing my fingers that it does not die completely before I finish the back-ups...

Steve
11-17-2008, 02:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
maaaaan that sucks too steve
11-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
Forum Member

Hi Taff

Your iMac should have a mini-DVI port on the back of the iMac. With an adapter you are still able to plug in an external monitor. Its called the Apple Mini DVI to DVI adapter or Apple Mini DVI to VGA adapter. Do a google image search to see what they look like.

Since you have 2 Intel iMacs you can connect them with a firewire cable and enable Firewire target disk mode. Here's a link

How to use FireWire target disk mode

If you do a google search you will also find pictorial guides on how to do this

Hope this helps
11-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you have an extra monitor around, you can certainly use the display port. This would allow you to use the computer normally--except with a different screen, of course. I have extra mini-to-VGA and mini-to-DVI adapters; send me a PM if you'd like one.

Firewire target-disk mode is easy, too. You can access all the data from another computer; you can't use the broken computer, though. Just buy a Firewire cable, which are *much* cheaper if purchased online than in a retail store.

Either way, it sounds like in the long run it'd be a good idea to replace the screen. I don't know how much those screens cost, but it is still a good computer and worth saving.