Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Please suggest a nice Laptop to me.

My toshiba laptop is out of order.
Somehow LCD turned too dark and toshiba center said I have to change the LCD.
So I decided to buy new one!

I'm not familiar with laptop market in USA.
Is there anyone who give me a suggestion?
Which brand is the best in A/S?
How about lenovo (thinkpad)?
I can spend $1000-1500 for my new laptop (14.1-15.4).

Thank you!

11-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you have an external monitor? You might be able to plug your existing laptop into an external screen and use it. That would at least get you by until you get another computer.

As for a laptop recommendation I usually recommend Apple laptops since I feel they are excellent for the price and you can run Windows on them (but it doesn't come with it). However, they don't have a 15" laptop in your price range. The Macbook is a 13" and in your price range. For others brands I'd take a look at Dell, Acer, Sony, or HP. Dell seems to be always running some kind of deal, so hunt around the Net for a discount. Costco also sometimes has some really good prices on HP.
11-17-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was all set to buy an Apple laptop this year, seeing as how I am in a Masters programme where literally everyone has Apples. I like the idea that they are UNIX under the skin, and that they can run Windows in a pinch.

I would not now buy an Apple even if they were reasonably priced (which they aren't). The number of issues I have regularly seen, from apps freezing, to OS needing re-installing, to hard drives unrecoverable except with a wipe, simply beggar the imagination. Numerous everyday issues have no practical workaround. I have never seen such problems with Windows PCs. Apparently Mac users just put up with this.

Also the hardware features are very minimal. The new 13" models, which I was hoping would be a good purchase, are instead sadly lacking. No Firewire, proprietary video hookups, no expansion port and only two USB. Yuck.

One thing you can say in favour of Apple is the processors are quite fast. Some people also prefer the interface, but I do not. Take, for example, Logic Pro, an application many buy an Apple just to use (as I might have). It is incredibly powerful and configurable but the window and menu arrangements are haphazard and most illogical. Again, people just put up with it, and use keyboard shortcuts instead.

And no, I am not a Microsoft apologist. I refuse to use any of their software except XP, which is most excellent at most things (network connectivity is too fussy, however). I used Apples back when Windows was at version 1. Back then Apple made advanced hardware and software. Now they are content to sell overpriced toys.

What can I recommend? ASUS are pretty nice. They have dozens of confusing models and I do not keep up with them all. Only issue is a cheap Firewire chip, which plays havoc with professional sound gear (like RME cards at low latencies). This is solved by disabling the DVD drive, believe it or not. Same on a Dell, etc. For most people this is likely not an issue. And, unlike an Apple, you can always get a card slot Firewire that will work perfectly.

I would not buy larger than 13" since otherwise it's just too much of a pain to carry around. Use with an external monitor when at your desk and you've got a flexible form factor.

Instead of Windows or OSX I bought the Acer Aspire, a LINUX netbook. All I need on the road is internet and basic apps. This gives it to me in a much nicer package (keyboard, screen, build) than an ASUS eee, though the battery life sucks. Installed a proper desktop and upgraded a few apps -- job done. Plays videos fine too.

That's my rant over. Best of luck.
11-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow rparmar come on tell us how you really feel - I can't say much bad about Mac only because I have used it so rarely. I am a PC guy and not afraid to admit it. Mostly due to my work - remote connectivity and work tools and all my software is Windows. I also agree on XP - just bought a new computer and forced Dell to put XP on it (a new XPS 1730 - MONSTER) -could not get a lot of my software to work on Vista - I did try. I would run Vista if I had no work issues.

Back to the original question. I use to have an Acer - loved it was great value for the $$ but after 2 years the LCD went almost to the day the warranty expired. That experience turned me off Acer.

Next up was an HP - It is just about 18 months old and was built like a rock. Gave it to my Son - would recommend HP.

For Travel I went on Kijiji, (an EBay subsidiary) and bought a used Dell D620. Persoanlly it was a steal 14.1 makes a great travel laptop - an exernal 320gb USB drive alleivates the small 80gb HD. Dell has sales evey day and they even have an aution site.

So my expereince is - Acer = No , HP / Dell = Yes. A 14.1 screen with a 9 cell battery makes a great travel Laptop capable of processing pics , watching movies and for me connect to various clients.

Good luck - also a great Laptop resource is : Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion - Powered by vBulletin

Last edited by daacon; 11-17-2008 at 07:00 PM.
11-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rosier19 Quote
My toshiba laptop is out of order.
Somehow LCD turned too dark and toshiba center said I have to change the LCD.
So I decided to buy new one!

I'm not familiar with laptop market in USA.
Is there anyone who give me a suggestion?
Which brand is the best in A/S?
How about lenovo (thinkpad)?
I can spend $1000-1500 for my new laptop (14.1-15.4).

Thank you!
I just bought a Dell laptop from their website about 2 months back. Love it! It's the basic laptop without any frills, but it works wonderfully. I use it for photo trips and with Remote Assistant. It runs Photoshop and my other apps flawlessly. Couldn't be happier.
11-17-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thank yoy for everyone!

all suggestions are really helpful!
specially rparmar.
11-17-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
Forum Member

You really haven't said what you are going to be using your laptop for. I'll throw out some questions for you.

Are you going to be mobile or will you use this as a desktop replacement?
Is weight an issue?
Do you prefer glossy or matte screens?
Do you have a preference for processors (AMD or Intel, single or duo core)?
Do you need a dedicated video card or are you OK with integrated video?
Do you need a DVI connector or are you OK with VGA?
Do you need Expresscard slots?
Do you need to have an SD card slot?

If you decide to get a laptop with Windows Vista, please make sure that you check with the manufacturer to see if there are XP compatible drivers for things like the video card, sound card, ethernet controller, wireless controller, etc.

Although rparmar has seen some things that haven't looked good with Apple computers this may not be indicative of what is happening for the majority of Mac users. I'm sure you could find a similar story about any brand of laptop computer. While not definitive, take a look at the 2008 reader survey for laptop satisfaction (PC Mag). Apple is #1, followed by Lenovo. Does this guarantee you the perfect computer? No, but it does tell you that in this particular survey anywhere between 12% and 20% of all laptops from all brands required some kind of warranty repair work. (This shouldn't be too surprising since most laptops are made by one of 3 or 4 manufacturers)

PS. If money were no object, I'd buy a Panasonic ToughBook.

11-17-2008, 08:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QUOTE=rparmar

QuoteQuote:
I was all set to buy an Apple laptop this year, seeing as how I am in a Masters programme where literally everyone has Apples. I like the idea that they are UNIX under the skin, and that they can run Windows in a pinch.
Yeah, it's really nice, and makes it really stable too. Seriously, when I'm using my macbook at home I often "sleep" it rather than turn it off, and have long uptimes without it becoming unstable or weird. I usually just reboot once a week or so on general principles.
QuoteQuote:
I would not now buy an Apple even if they were reasonably priced (which they aren't). The number of issues I have regularly seen, from apps freezing, to OS needing re-installing, to hard drives unrecoverable except with a wipe, simply beggar the imagination. Numerous everyday issues have no practical workaround. I have never seen such problems with Windows PCs. Apparently Mac users just put up with this.
Hmmm... maybe the later os (leopard? which cat is current?) is less stable than 10.4.11, but my macbook just works... I've probably had it hang and need to be rebooted about 4 times in the last 17 months which i think is a bit better than my last notebook running XP.

QuoteQuote:
Also the hardware features are very minimal. The new 13" models, which I was hoping would be a good purchase, are instead sadly lacking. No Firewire, proprietary video hookups, no expansion port and only two USB. Yuck.
again, things must have changed as I have a firewire port next to my two USB ports (which I've never used both of at the same time (though now with an external HD I may have cause to do so)). The nonstandard video port is much smaller than a standard one, and the adapter is relatively cheap and very small, not a big deal.

QuoteQuote:
One thing you can say in favour of Apple is the processors are quite fast. Some people also prefer the interface, but I do not. Take, for example, Logic Pro, an application many buy an Apple just to use (as I might have). It is incredibly powerful and configurable but the window and menu arrangements are haphazard and most illogical. Again, people just put up with it, and use keyboard shortcuts instead.
Ok, the interface takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do, it's just as simple as windows (except, why on earth do they refuse to have a right button on their mouse - must be a patent problem - I can "right click" for a context menu by tapping two fingers on the touch pad - just as good as a right mouse button). I can't imagine the menus of Logic Pro are any less intuitive than those of Excel or Word, but were more accostomed to them from years of hunting for the right tool or command. I think you'll find that experts at any program learn to use the keyboard shortcuts as a matter of course, and if the menu implementation of a given program is worthless, that's really no indictment of the hardware even if they use the same logo on their products (my mac runs Firefox and Lightroom, and excel and word, so I don't really use any apple applications other than itunes)

QuoteQuote:
And no, I am not a Microsoft apologist. I refuse to use any of their software except XP, which is most excellent at most things (network connectivity is too fussy, however). I used Apples back when Windows was at version 1. Back then Apple made advanced hardware and software. Now they are content to sell overpriced toys.
And I'm not really a Mac apologist, windows is fine, and XP worked well for me for years. I hated my mac I had in the mid 90's (really unstable) so after it I had two windows machines, then the BSD based OSX lured me back to mac.

QuoteQuote:
What can I recommend? ASUS are pretty nice. They have dozens of confusing models and I do not keep up with them all. Only issue is a cheap Firewire chip, which plays havoc with professional sound gear (like RME cards at low latencies). This is solved by disabling the DVD drive, believe it or not. Same on a Dell, etc. For most people this is likely not an issue. And, unlike an Apple, you can always get a card slot Firewire that will work perfectly.

I would not buy larger than 13" since otherwise it's just too much of a pain to carry around. Use with an external monitor when at your desk and you've got a flexible form factor.

Instead of Windows or OSX I bought the Acer Aspire, a LINUX netbook. All I need on the road is internet and basic apps. This gives it to me in a much nicer package (keyboard, screen, build) than an ASUS eee, though the battery life sucks. Installed a proper desktop and upgraded a few apps -- job done. Plays videos fine too.

That's my rant over. Best of luck.
I will probably replace my mac with either another mac or a linux machine when the times comes. Linux would be my first choice if I can either directly or through emulation run some variety of Lightroom on it.

If you are going to edit your photos exclusively on you laptop (I do), there may be better screens than the macbook, as this screen changes contrast a lot with only a few degrees of tilt, but you'd have to make that determination for yourself as this is a year and a half old and that may have changed.
11-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
The nonstandard video port is much smaller than a standard one, and the adapter is relatively cheap and very small, not a big deal.
In Europe these things are not so cheap, and in a lab situation or on tour you need to carry every type of adapter you might need. Previously this was three, now it is six. (I think I got those numbers right -- maybe it's four and eight.) That is just wrong. Techies I know who do event support find this one of the major headaches, as you need to have two copies of each adapter, just in case one breaks.

When I'm doing a gig in a cafe in Germany I do not want to have to take along a brace of adapters just to get external video working. No thanks.

Ok, the interface takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do, it's just as simple as windows (except, why on earth do they refuse to have a right button on their mouse
Besides that annoying mouse issue there is the two different keyboard layout issue, so, if using different Apples, you never can be sure which function key does what on the desktop. Then there is the menu within a program versus menu on the system bar issue. And the "where is my application hiding now?" issue that comes about because you don't need a panel open to have an app running. Oh, and then there's the "hidden button commands" issue which started on the Mac and unfortunately has infected Windows through apps like Photoshop. As in: hold down a key and a dialogue button changes its function. That breaks so many rules of usability it's not funny.

And why do Apple refuse to have buttons for their touchpad? Oh yeah, they break the nice design lines. Never mind that they make it so much easier to use.

If you are going to edit your photos exclusively on you laptop (I do), there may be better screens than the macbook, as this screen changes contrast a lot with only a few degrees of tilt, but you'd have to make that determination for yourself as this is a year and a half old and that may have changed.
A lot of computers have that issue. Plus the whole glossy black reflection problem. Certainly not an Apple exclusive.
11-18-2008, 08:07 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Besides that annoying mouse issue there is the two different keyboard layout issue, so, if using different Apples, you never can be sure which function key does what on the desktop. Then there is the menu within a program versus menu on the system bar issue. And the "where is my application hiding now?" issue that comes about because you don't need a panel open to have an app running. Oh, and then there's the "hidden button commands" issue which started on the Mac and unfortunately has infected Windows through apps like Photoshop. As in: hold down a key and a dialogue button changes its function. That breaks so many rules of usability it's not funny.
Are you aware that you can use virtually any 2 button USB mouse to get right and left clicks in OS X? And, maybe this isn't widely known but the latest Mighty Mouse is in fact a 2 button mouse.

Its a little confusing when you say that there are 2 different keyboard layouts. Apple makes keyboards that are localized for different regions of the world. In Canada I get a US/Canadian English keyboard and a French Canadian keyboard. In the EU, you can get all manner of keyboard layouts... I would think that this is a good thing.

If you can't find an application you can always use the Dock to find active apps or you can use the Expose function to have all running apps and widgets appear on the screen so that you can select the one that you want.

And the "hidden button commands" are called contextual menus - the function changes depending on which tool you are using in an application. The whole idea behind using contextual menus in Windows and the Mac OS is to reduce tool bar clutter and and menu growth because you can use the right mouse button. It also means that you don't have to drag the mouse across the screen to get to the menus (a huge benefit if you are working on a large screen). If you get in the habit of using contextual menus then it can speed up your work flow much like keyboard shortcuts. I don't know too many people who would argue against that...
11-19-2008, 12:25 AM   #11

well, i have a cheap acer laptop that i bought for 500 bucks..... not the best but serves the purpose..... before this i had a dell 17". worked beautifully but its adapter problems just pissed me to no end...... before that i had an ibm T20, what a machine..... i usually leave my laptop by the bedside when i sleep, i woke up one day and stood on it....... sucker still didnt break..... eventually i got tired of an old slow laptop and moved on..... if i had the kind of money to afford a good ibm/lenovo again, i would buy it with my eyes closed.......
apple are not in my good books, just my personal opinion, i wud rather use linux than to use OSX (or whatever they call the newer version) which itself is based on Unix.....
11-19-2008, 03:35 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kami Quote
Are you aware that you can use virtually any 2 button USB mouse to get right and left clicks in OS X?
Yes I am aware. Perhaps I should have made it clear from the outset that, being somewhat experienced, I know how to deal with all of these inconveniences. My list of grievances was meant to reflect the problems I see other users having, not just myself.

But back to mice: Though of course one can get a two-button mouse, how many Mac users actually have one? How many computers in an institutional setting have one? Not very many, in my experience, because Apple think the one-button mouse is enough.

Its a little confusing when you say that there are 2 different keyboard layouts.
I am not talking about localisation but instead the differing function key controls that have been assigned to different Macs over the past few years. I am not sure which go with which computers off the top of my head. On some Expose is F4, on another it is F8, IIRC. This sort of thing is maddening if you must use different Apple computers at different times in the day.

If you can't find an application you can always use the Dock to find active apps or you can use the Expose function to have all running apps and widgets appear on the screen so that you can select the one that you want.
Yes, this is true. Expose is very useful. But it wouldn't even be required if apps kept their menus with the rest of their components. Having read the Mac interface guide I know why things were done this way but I still think it is a mistake. Judging by how many apps also have an internal menu (one within a pane), a significant number of major application designers also think it was a mistake.

And the "hidden button commands" are called contextual menus - the function changes depending on which tool you are using in an application.
That is not what I mean or what I described.

I could list another half-dozen interface issues, but I don't want to argue this stuff forever. I know how these threads get, so will unsubscribe now.

By no means am I claiming the XP interface is a paragon of perfection. The difference is, no Windows user would make such a claim whereas Mac users regularly do.

One final example: For decades Apple users kept arguing that there was nothing wrong with dragging a disk to the trash to eject it. Anyone with a smidgen of common sense saw this was stupid. Doesn't it rather imply one is going to erase the whole disk? Finally the OS evolved so that the trash icon would at least change to an eject icon once you started dragging a disk icon. That's better than nothing, but still not great.

The only reason this took so long to change is the Mac mindset that says their way is the best way, no matter what. I suppose I really hate such arrogance.
11-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting that rparmer has had such negative experiences with the Mac. Having used both platforms and different hardware makers for about as long as laptops have been in existence, my experience has been quite contrary to his and it seems strange that most everyone in the Masters program has one.
11-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #14

If you've used a screwdriver before and you're a little more adventurous why not eBay for a replacement screen? It is pretty straight forward to do and could save yourself several $$$.

I don't know what model you've got by there should be a service manual available on the Toshiba website. If not YouTube will probably have a clip showing you how and what you need to do.

Just thought I'd throw that in to the mix.
11-20-2008, 03:15 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry for hijacking this thread. Was perhaps venting. Logic just ate many hours of work on a surround sound soundtrack. No computer is perfect.