Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2008, 07:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Upcoming Cuban Vacation

I have a little dilemma. A group of us are traveling to a 5 star resort in Cuba in early January. The main object of the trip is not to drink copious quantities of rum (darn!) but to see my son and his fiancee get hitched.

Here's my problem; I really want to bring my K10D and a few lenses but I am more than a bit concerned about it getting stolen. I have read a few horror stories (on the net) by folks that have had camera equipment stolen right from their rooms while in Cuba. I am always careful with my equipment when it I am carrying it around but there will be times that I just can't lug it with me, e.g. swimming, dining, drinking copious quantities of rum, etc. I've been to Mexico, St. Lucia and even Nicaragua for heavens sakes, with nothing ever stolen. Am I being paranoid?

I guess I am looking from advise from others that have been there. I really want to take some decent pics of my sons nuptials and who knows what else; trips to Havana and such. Would a cheaper and less obvious film camera be an option? Should we just bring my wife's P&S digi?

Help.

11-18-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If it is a decent P&S and you do not have other photo ambitions while on the forbidden-to-Americans island, I would take that.
11-18-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Jeff

I hear ya I had similar concerns last year in Mexico. I broguht everything I owned two K10Ds and all my lenses (at that time I had 5 or 6)

If it is a 5 star resort - maybe ask about a house safe? Probably a daily charage for it, but for peice of mind. Sometimes the rooms have safes - although they may not be big enough.

I am sure Cuba is different however in Mexico (Grand Mayan Resort) - I came to find out that the staff at the resort was nothing but friendly and courteous. We did tip the staff not sure that helped but certainly did not hurt. I also came to find out the resort staff jobs were coveted and being accused or worse caught stealing would be instant dismissal.

The Grand Mayan did have the advantage of being isolated – it was not a place in the middle of a populated area. Hopefully you can check out security and the hotel’s reputation long before you get there.

I would bring a PS as well - much eaiser to carry always and for those moments you hate to miss.

Congrats on the nuptials – ahhh the Rum – I was not a tequila drinker until I went to Mexico – watch out!
11-19-2008, 04:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've been in Cuba last april (Varadero and Habana), i took my k100d + a bunch of my lenses, and i didn't had any problem.

I've been in some "dark" streets in Habana (Varadero is mainly beaches and tourists) and i didn't had any problem, several times i found myself in situations and places that i didn't felt totally safe, but never had any problem, in the Old Habana (where the majority of the hotels are located) there was a police in almost every corner.

When i left the camera in the hotel, i always left it inside the room's vault.

One advice, if you can, take some t-shirts/caps/etc.. that you don't use anymore. You will find lot's of people asking for them, they will be more happy with caps, then with money almost all the handcraft i brought home, was traded with t-shirts, eheheh.

Oh, and don't forget to take some photos too

11-19-2008, 05:48 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Castro in the alleyway, talkin' 'bout missile love, talkin' 'bout JFK...and the way he shook him up

Are you tired of the city life, Scott? Summers on the run? Can you almost smell the perfumed night? And see the starry sky?

You got snake eyes on the paradise?

Too bad you're not going in April.
11-19-2008, 06:02 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Castro in the alleyway, talkin' 'bout missile love, talkin' 'bout JFK...and the way he shook him up

Are you tired of the city life, Scott? Summers on the run? Can you almost smell the perfumed night? And see the starry sky?

You got snake eyes on the paradise?

Too bad you're not going in April.
Huh? Summer's gone, not just on the run!
Got a cold so can't smell much.
Stars are cool.
What's happening in April?
11-19-2008, 06:04 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice folks.

I think I'll take the K10D and some lenses. I'd be kickin' my ass if I didn't. But I will be severely pissed if I lose it.

Live on the edge I guess.

Very cool picture Barbosas!

11-19-2008, 06:28 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Huh? Summer's gone, not just on the run!
Got a cold so can't smell much.
Stars are cool.
What's happening in April?
The sun...
11-19-2008, 06:30 AM   #9
Forum Member

If you don't go into dark streets in Havana at night you can be sure you return home with all equipment. I've been to Cuba 4 times and i'll do again in a week. Never got stolen anything!
11-19-2008, 08:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Same here, was out in Cuba for my sisters wedding in a four and a half star resort in Santa Clara (The Mélia Santa Maria) and had cameras and video camera with me, didn't have a problem.

Each room had a programmable safe for wallets and passports and the few times I did not have my cameras with me, I left them in the safe (which was probably unnecessary!)

The people working at the resort, and villagers outside the resort were some of the friendliest people I've ever met... and they are not stupid people, they know their economy depends on tourists, and crimes against tourists are punished extremely harshly so they are very low.

I'm going back for a week in January

Pat
11-19-2008, 11:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

hopefully the new administration will have some guts to give finally a big finger to all those cuban exiles and start trading w/ Cuba...