Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2021, 10:15 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
My comment was about bitcoin and similar enery wasting blockchains not about any person in particular. Apologies if that was unclear.
No worries

04-17-2021, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

to me it seems like another way to monetise one's work that I'll be too lazy to get in on and by the time I get around to it, it'll be too late.
04-17-2021, 06:28 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pkboy Quote
to me it seems like another way to monetise one's work that I'll be too lazy to get in on and by the time I get around to it, it'll be too late.
well, it's not too late yet, perhaps...

Best regards,

Vieri
04-18-2021, 07:37 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There are some blockchain technologies working to reduce the carbon footprint - if (and that's a pretty big if) those take off, then yeah... otherwise it's iffy at best.

04-18-2021, 07:55 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Art

I know it when I see it

and some of the things I see that other people call Art

is, to be kind, confusing to me

and this stuff is the most confusing of all
04-18-2021, 07:58 AM   #21
Pentaxian

If people somehow think a blockchain would stop someone from digitally redistributing your work you need to come to your senses I think.
Maybe it'll trick some moro... people into thinking spending a lot for a blockchain jpeg makes them special. I'd avoid any artist that unironically wants to display his/her work this way.

I think what people are actually hoping for is this becomes a crypto like pseudo currency.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 04-18-2021 at 08:04 AM.
04-18-2021, 09:42 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
If people somehow think a blockchain would stop someone from digitally redistributing your work you need to come to your senses I think.
Maybe it'll trick some moro... people into thinking spending a lot for a blockchain jpeg makes them special. I'd avoid any artist that unironically wants to display his/her work this way.

I think what people are actually hoping for is this becomes a crypto like pseudo currency.
It's not that different from licensing your work... people can and will go around it. I don't quite see the point to NFTs though, it's kind of re-imagining licenses I guess.

04-18-2021, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
It's not that different from licensing your work... people can and will go around it. I don't quite see the point to NFTs though, it's kind of re-imagining licenses I guess.
It's different because it attempts to create a pompous false scarcity to a digital file. A kind of "exclusive club" where one doesn't need to exist.
04-18-2021, 11:45 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Something, something, a fool and his money is soon parted...

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for taking money from rich fools, but as Sandy points out the environmental concerns with blockchain technologies are real. It is just stunning to see how much electricity that crypto mining uses, heck, I've seen it been mentioned it's more than the whole country of Ireland uses! Now, electricity use is not an environmental concern in itself, but rather it's production is, which as of right now, the majority of it is not very 'green'... Until we see electricity being wholly made from sustainable sources (though this another discussion altogether) I'm not going to be a fan of blockchain usage and energy consumption, and even then, in my opinion energy consumption should be minimized wherever possible...
04-19-2021, 06:06 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
There are some blockchain technologies working to reduce the carbon footprint - if (and that's a pretty big if) those take off, then yeah... otherwise it's iffy at best.
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for taking money from rich fools, but as Sandy points out the environmental concerns with blockchain technologies are real. It is just stunning to see how much electricity that crypto mining uses, heck, I've seen it been mentioned it's more than the whole country of Ireland uses! Now, electricity use is not an environmental concern in itself, but rather it's production is, which as of right now, the majority of it is not very 'green'... Until we see electricity being wholly made from sustainable sources (though this another discussion altogether) I'm not going to be a fan of blockchain usage and energy consumption, and even then, in my opinion energy consumption should be minimized wherever possible...
As I said to Sandy, about the environmental issue, that is a very real one. Personally, I do plant 250 trees for every Workshop participant joining me on my trips, to offset their carbon impact, and I funded the planting of over 13.000 trees so far. When it comes to NFTs, I am going to plant 250 / 500 trees according to the kind of work sold. Since a tree will absorb an average of a tonne of carbon each during their lifetime, I therefore will be compensating between one - and two-thousandfold for the impact of creating one artwork. Until power will come from renewable sources only (or from safe nuclear plants with no exhaust nuclear material problems), I believe that's the best I can do

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Art

I know it when I see it

and some of the things I see that other people call Art

is, to be kind, confusing to me

and this stuff is the most confusing of all
I wouldn't confuse Art itself with a new "way to deliver and market" Art. Everyone has their own idea of what is Art; NFTs are just a different way of owning it. I.e. if you think my photographs are art and want to invest in collecting it, until now you could only do so by getting a Fine Art print. Now, you can also get an NFT. Same art, different "medium" and different way to prove ownership and authenticity.

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Something, something, a fool and his money is soon parted...
I would love to be one of those fools who bought a few grand worth of Bitcoin a few years ago, when people was telling them "A fool and his money...". Unfortunately, I have been very "clever" and didn't do that

Best regards,

Vieri
04-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I am intrigued by this. A one off art piece that is solely created as a stand alone, and never to be replicated. Kind of goes against the idea of fast fashion/furniture/art/etc

from an environmental perspective, perhaps, its even healthier for our planet? I am keeping a close eye on this
04-19-2021, 01:32 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
I am intrigued by this. A one off art piece that is solely created as a stand alone, and never to be replicated. Kind of goes against the idea of fast fashion/furniture/art/etc

from an environmental perspective, perhaps, its even healthier for our planet? I am keeping a close eye on this
Thats not it. Contrarily it can be copied and reproduced an infinite amount of times. Its a contrived mechanism for assigning ownership, for speculation only, of items that previously couldn't be meaningfully owned.

The thing is it that any paper certificate with a chain of owners would be the same thing as already common in the art world.
04-19-2021, 05:58 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Madshutter Quote
well, it's not too late yet, perhaps...
Any recommended reading then? I understand the concept and the technology, just the part where I post work on a marketplace so the more important bit. Any recommended platforms? Any specific to photography / digital art? What are the requirements, I imagine some digital currency wallet.. and so on.
04-19-2021, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #29
mee
Veteran Member

NFTs -- People with too much money want to give it away for things they cannot physically posses. And if people would buy my tweets (if I had any), I'd sell them without hesitation. I'm not sure about art because I think it is more a money making venture for those selling these and a way to brag or show off for those that are buying.

Last edited by mee; 04-19-2021 at 06:56 PM.
04-19-2021, 10:36 PM   #30
Pentaxian

To figure out who will make money out if it see who is pushing it. Making buzz about it etc.