Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2021, 02:30 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't understand how the threading system works but have posted a comment and then posted a photo twice now in separate posts and when I look at the thread, it has been amalgamated into a single post - so this is my retribution......

04-27-2021, 03:15 PM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Grimmus Quote
I don't understand how the threading system works but have posted a comment and then posted a photo twice now in separate posts and when I look at the thread, it has been amalgamated into a single post - so this is my retribution......
check your account and your profile

you may have this selected under Edit options

QuoteQuote:
Auto-Merge Double Posts
If you make two consecutive replies to a thread, they will be automatically merged by default. You can choose to disable this behavior.
Yes No
04-28-2021, 02:11 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Thanks @aslyfox!

I am not putting an entry in today so this one doesn't count as gratuitous!
04-28-2021, 06:05 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I need one more post to enter so I guess this is it.

04-29-2021, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #20

Actually this is a pretty good idea. Why clutter up other threads with these types of posts
04-29-2021, 08:23 AM   #21
5ks
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

Thanks for the advice, aslyfox! IMHO, the default setting is a good one in general, but not so when posting for the Giveway ...
04-29-2021, 08:44 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Thanks Aggie. I find it annoying to see 'nice photo' or 'good shot' type low value, low effort comments in the photo section.
Even with this contest going on, some photos don't get looked at very often and collect few comments.
Perhaps 'nice shot' is a little effort, little value comment, and some images perhaps don't deserve that, but many do deserve positive comments and take only a little effort to make them.
I'm not making contest entries, but even I manage to make six or more comments a day, often telling a poster what I do like about an image {or suggesting how it could be changed}.

04-29-2021, 08:49 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

In a previous contest I learned from @bertwert; how to separate comments; thank you bertwert.
I have maintained it because in actual discussions I want to separate thoughts; otherwise someone will disagree with one thought and feel he has dealt all of them.

Last edited by reh321; 04-29-2021 at 09:01 AM.
04-29-2021, 12:41 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have maintained it because in actual discussions I want to separate thoughts; otherwise someone will disagree with one thought and feel he has dealt all of them.
Same here. When making a second comment with the default, it usually comes across as a continuation of the prior thought and thus people may skim over it. Often times a separate reply is warranted, especially if you want to reply/quote multiple people.
04-29-2021, 05:07 PM   #25
Veteran Member

In a previous contest I learned from @bertwert; how to separate comments; thank you bertwert.
Indeed, there are certainly valid reasons to have combined posts - but I prefer to have separated posts myself, gives clear difference between ideas. Not to mention with the combined posts, if a post is added onto a previous one, it's still marked as read and you may miss the added post completely.
04-29-2021, 05:50 PM   #26
mee
Veteran Member

Even with this contest going on, some photos don't get looked at very often and collect few comments.
Perhaps 'nice shot' is a little effort, little value comment, and some images perhaps don't deserve that, but many do deserve positive comments and take only a little effort to make them.
I'm not making contest entries, but even I manage to make six or more comments a day, often telling a poster what I do like about an image {or suggesting how it could be changed}.
I'm not going to lie and tell someone I found their shot pleasant if I did not find it pleasant enough to comment. It's a situation of if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all on most photos shared here.
04-29-2021, 05:57 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Well, I just don't have much to say, so no entries for me..... just a long term loser I guess.

I do wish my wife was on the forum..... we'd win the 50 for sure.....
04-29-2021, 06:44 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I do wish my wife was on the forum..... we'd win the 50 for sure.....
Why do you say that, she's quite lucky?
04-29-2021, 07:05 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

our poor cyberspace must feel so oversaturated with junk......
04-29-2021, 08:59 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I seem to remember that posts in this particular forum don't count towards your post count at all....

can someone confirm that?
No such restrictions this time around.
Closed Thread