Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2021, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
AggieDad's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 982
Gratuitous Posts

This my placeholder for the six (6) posts per day required for entering the big raffle.

If you need to record some posts for raffle-entry eligibility and do not wish to "spam" an active thread, please feel free to enter eligibility posts here. I won't care, because that is what I am going to do.

Don

---------- Post added 04-25-21 at 12:17 PM ----------

This is Gratuitous Raffle-Eligibility Post #1.

04-25-2021, 10:58 AM - 9 Likes   #2
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Posts: 14,224
I personally think a much better "technique" is to head over to the Post Your Photos section and comment on some shots you like, not only do you get to look through photos, but it's encouraging to those posting their shots
04-25-2021, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
AggieDad's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 982
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I personally think a much better "technique" is to head over to the Post Your Photos section and comment on some shots you like, not only do you get to look through photos, but it's encouraging to those posting their shots
That's a great idea, and I think folks who post the photos would appreciate someone looking at and commenting on their work. However, I suspect that even there some of a person's posts will become gratuitous (many comments in that section already are): i.e. "Great shot"; "Nice capture."; "Very nice!"; "Awesome.", etc., etc., etc.

My real point here, is that some folks might have problems making six of the kind of meaningful posts that drive the conversation forward. There are already plenty of unnecessary posts (myself included) on the forum without encouraging more.

The problem compounds when everyone wants to get their raffle ticket each day. That would 180 posts in one month. 180 times of reading through a thread and then making a cogent and relevant response. If it takes three minutes to read through a thread and make a useful response, then that is a 540 minutes (9 hours) to earn 30 raffle tickets.
04-25-2021, 02:34 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian
timb64's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Doing my best to avoid idiots in crowded places.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,661
I find it a difficult one.Adam obviously runs these promotions to increase site traffic and if that helps him raise sponsorship Iím all for it.On the other hand it increases blatant spamming which detracts from usersí experience.

BTW I havenít amended my involvement in PF over this promotion,present thread excepted (sorry Adam!).

04-25-2021, 07:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
luftfluss's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,475
Back in the day when I was active on the Anandtech forums, this kind of posting activity was referred to as "neffing".
04-25-2021, 07:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 863
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I find it a difficult one.Adam obviously runs these promotions to increase site traffic and if that helps him raise sponsorship Iím all for it.On the other hand it increases blatant spamming which detracts from usersí experience.

BTW I havenít amended my involvement in PF over this promotion,present thread excepted (sorry Adam!).

I feel the same and have sometime wondered why "the x posts a day and make a post in a specific thread" approach but that's the rules and so be it. I guess I've just added a gratuitous post to today's count haven't I?
04-25-2021, 07:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Posts: 14,224
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
That's a great idea, and I think folks who post the photos would appreciate someone looking at and commenting on their work. However, I suspect that even there some of a person's posts will become gratuitous (many comments in that section already are): i.e. "Great shot"; "Nice capture."; "Very nice!"; "Awesome.", etc., etc., etc.

My real point here, is that some folks might have problems making six of the kind of meaningful posts that drive the conversation forward. There are already plenty of unnecessary posts (myself included) on the forum without encouraging more.

The problem compounds when everyone wants to get their raffle ticket each day. That would 180 posts in one month. 180 times of reading through a thread and then making a cogent and relevant response. If it takes three minutes to read through a thread and make a useful response, then that is a 540 minutes (9 hours) to earn 30 raffle tickets.
Valid point for sure - and I've been trying to include more thoughtful comments in that section recently.

However, I will say, I don't find it a real challenge to have six thoughtful responses throughout the day - especially when working at home

Also, it would make sense that those who spend more time and contribute meaningfully (now I'm certainly not saying that I do... ) would be 'rewarded' with more entries in draw. And really, 9 hours over the whole month, I easily spend that much time here

(Now I say all that, and this is one of my six posts to hit the raffle today )
04-25-2021, 08:00 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 21,575
hmm

six posts a day

how many " game " threads are there ?

how many threads seeking advice for problems?

how many new members could be welcomed?

how many photo threads are there that someone could post to?

seems to me that if someone really tried, they could post 6 times a day

perhaps not?

Gratuitous Posts?

what do I know?


Last edited by aslyfox; 04-25-2021 at 08:28 PM.
04-26-2021, 02:48 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 23,457
I don't find it hard to make six or seven posts a day. I'm glad it isn't one of those contests where you get an extra raffle ticket for every additional 10 posts you make or something like that. Those really do gum up the threads -- particularly with folks showing up and posting single photo posts of the same thing 10 or 15 times in a thread. That was the biggest aggravation.
04-26-2021, 04:16 AM   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,621
I seem to remember that posts in this particular forum don't count towards your post count at all....

can someone confirm that?
04-26-2021, 09:55 AM   #11
5ks
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern Finland
Posts: 176
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I personally think a much better "technique" is to head over to the Post Your Photos section and comment on some shots you like, not only do you get to look through photos, but it's encouraging to those posting their shots
I'm with this idea. Not so difficult to praise beautiful shots when there's nothing more significant to say. Encouraging feedback is hardly ever harmful anyway.
04-26-2021, 10:17 AM   #12
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,243
Thanks Aggie. I find it annoying to see 'nice photo' or 'good shot' type low value, low effort comments in the photo section.
04-26-2021, 10:18 AM   #13
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,243
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Back in the day when I was active on the Anandtech forums, this kind of posting activity was referred to as "neffing".
lol.

04-27-2021, 08:13 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mooncatt's Avatar

Join Date: May 2020
Location: Wisconsin
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 608
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I seem to remember that posts in this particular forum don't count towards your post count at all....

can someone confirm that?
I needed 3 posts prior to this comment. After making this, I'll check again and let you know. Top keep it fair, I'll do so as an edit to this thread, as well as finish my other thoughts.

Edit: These posts count, as now I only need two more posts. I have already discovered that posts to the social groups do NOT count.

As for this thread, I'll just say I'm impressed that even with a gratuitous thread topic that was intended just for placeholders, it still seems that there is meaningful discussion. I agree with others that you can only say "nice shot" so many times in the photo sharing threads before it just becomes repetitive. I tend not to comment on photos unless I have something more to say. I.e. Something truly unique about it, if I have a question on technique, or if there's some advice I could offer.

On the last giveaway, I easily hit the post count because I was still relatively new and seeking advice a lot. Now that I'm mostly settled, I haven't been very active. So far I've only qualified once, hopefully twice now because it's my birthday. I don't have a lot of time to shoot, so even simple things like posting photos to show off of get critiqued isn't much of an option this go around.

Last edited by Mooncatt; 04-27-2021 at 08:21 AM.
04-27-2021, 12:17 PM   #15
Pentaxian
jhaji's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,019
+1 on all that
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bbc, glory, post, posts
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc 'tis Himself, and a gratuitous sunburst luftfluss Post Your Photos! 11 07-07-2012 12:45 PM
Not Work-Safe Maranda.... Gratuitous Nudity Ed n Georgia Post Your Photos! 18 09-09-2011 08:56 PM
For those who still have snow (gratuitous flower pics)... heliphoto Post Your Photos! 7 03-15-2009 06:36 AM
Gratuitous leaf post heliphoto Post Your Photos! 6 11-13-2008 09:44 AM
Is there a quick way to list out all particpated posts which have new posts? RiceHigh Site Suggestions and Help 10 05-27-2007 10:06 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:13 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top