Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 86 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2021, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Until I see a Pentax bodies and lenses covered with social issue stickers, I don't think we can be classed in the same group of people.

I'm actually a Dodge fan, though currently arrive a GMC Yukon XL.

04-27-2021, 12:18 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've driven my friend's Subaru way back when. Never owned one.
04-27-2021, 12:41 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Of course they do!

I presently own my 6th Subaru since the '80's.
04-27-2021, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Several years ago, my wife and I looked at the Forester and Impreza on our shortlist, and took both on test drives. I was really keen on the Forester, but had read reports of excessive oil consumption (sort of confirmed by the dealer, who suggested an easy fix -- just carry a litre in the back). The Impreza we drove seemed loud on the highway. Both were very comfortable, offered great exterior visibility (one of our primary requirements), and ticked a lot of boxes.

In the event, we opted for a Toyota RAV4 and a Corolla.

- Craig
Regarding excessive oil consumption.

I asked a mechanic friend about that a few years ago, when we were looking at getting a Subaru. He says usually valve guides/ valve seals .

04-27-2021, 12:54 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote

With the direction the auto industry is going, I may never buy another new car.
Good point.

We bought a new 2020 SUV with an internal combustion engine. We like it. A lot.

But given the governmental mandates in many G7 countries that are going to outlaw sales of new internal combustion engines by 2030 or 2035 and then all you will be able to buy new, will be a pure electric vehicle (EV)...we plan to try to keep our internal combustion SUV on the road as long as possible.

We wonder if we buy a new IC vehicle in say...2027/28...will there be any resale value....a a few years after..... due to governments stopping the sale of IC vehicles....and will gas be increasingly more difficult to get, by the end of this decade.

We don't wat to be stuck with a relatively new internal combustion 'orphan' which we could lose a lot of money, etc...on due to looming legislation.

Funny thing , when out driving today, I was busy checking the many, many other cars driving and invariably they were powered by internal combustion. Hmmmnn...this upcoming switchover to all EV within the decade, will be fraught with issues...I dare say.
04-27-2021, 01:13 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My brother has a 2010 Forester and a K-r. He got the Forester used from someplace that sweetened the deal with a used car warranty. They ended up paying for a new short block which fixed the oil consumption issue. The K-r just needs contact cleaner every couple of years.

My brother complains about power so the Subaru I want is Supergramps.
04-27-2021, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Volvo
Honda
Volvo
Subaru
Honda
Suburban
Subaru
Honda
Mini
Subaru

04-27-2021, 01:59 PM   #38
Pentaxian

First new car was a Subaru L series Sportswagon. It had tiny 13" wheels and a genuine 4wd low range box and it was surprising how many places it could crawl into! It was usually kitted with a Super A, a K1000 and some kodachrome......
04-27-2021, 03:03 PM   #39
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

I asked a mechanic friend ... He says usually valve guides/ valve seals .
Subaru replaced them on the XV on a recall here in Australia. Our mechanic says it is partly due to the super thin oil that some companies now specify (SAE 0-40). That is practically sewing machine oil. I think some European vehicle manufacturers have had similar issues.
04-28-2021, 01:14 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Forester here ! it is indeed true, IMHO of course that both are dependable, happy to be on rough trails, practically indestructible and gets the results without fuss and unneeded chest thumping.
04-28-2021, 01:24 AM   #41

Photos: Albums
Scoobys are a bit over priced in UK, though we did look at Forester when we last changed cars

Toyota/Lexus here - practical, reliable, well made. A bit like Pentax. Sort of. Maybe
04-28-2021, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Originally posted by c.a.m*
Several years ago, my wife and I looked at the Forester and Impreza on our shortlist, and took both on test drives. I was really keen on the Forester, but had read reports of excessive oil consumption (sort of confirmed by the dealer, who suggested an easy fix -- just carry a litre in the back). The Impreza we drove seemed loud on the highway. Both were very comfortable, offered great exterior visibility (one of our primary requirements), and ticked a lot of boxes.

In the event, we opted for a Toyota RAV4 and a Corolla.

- Craig

I asked a mechanic friend about that a few years ago, when we were looking at getting a Subaru. He says usually valve guides/ valve seals .
This was a known issue with the 2.5 liter engine, especially with 2013 (plus or minus a year or two).
I was lucky enough to have the dealership run some oil consumption tests on my Legacy 2013, as per Subaru's recommendations, and it finally came up "positive" for a defect.
End result: no charge engine block replacement.
That settled the issue, even if the car was not under warranty anymore.

I have since acquired a 2019 Impreza (yes, downsizing and for less money).
The Legacy was sold within two days at the dealership.
04-28-2021, 01:53 PM   #43
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LittleSkink Quote
Toyota/Lexus here - practical, reliable, well made. A bit like Pentax. Sort of. Maybe
Subaru is to Pentax as Toyota is to Panasonic. (We can start an all-in brawl here.)
04-28-2021, 02:19 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
This was a known issue with the 2.5 liter engine, especially with 2013 (plus or minus a year or two).
I was lucky enough to have the dealership run some oil consumption tests on my Legacy 2013, as per Subaru's recommendations, and it finally came up "positive" for a defect.
End result: no charge engine block replacement.
That settled the issue, even if the car was not under warranty anymore.

I have since acquired a 2019 Impreza (yes, downsizing and for less money).
The Legacy was sold within two days at the dealership.
One of my SIL has a Crosstrek, which she really likes. She has the 2 liter non turbo and the only thing she wishes it had, was a bit more power in the high mountainous Rockies. A turbo would take care of the power issue completely for her, particularly at high elevation.

We looked at the Outback a few years ago, when the 3.6 liter flat six was available. It was a bit tight for me in the driver's seat, which unfortunately is not unusual , as I'm fairly good sized. Too bad, as other than that I really liked it, being a wagon, having AWD and the power of the 3.6 flat six.
04-28-2021, 04:06 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of my SIL has a Crosstrek, which she really likes. She has the 2 liter non turbo and the only thing she wishes it had, was a bit more power in the high mountainous Rockies. A turbo would take care of the power issue completely for her, particularly at high elevation.

We looked at the Outback a few years ago, when the 3.6 liter flat six was available. It was a bit tight for me in the driver's seat, which unfortunately is not unusual , as I'm fairly good sized. Too bad, as other than that I really liked it, being a wagon, having AWD and the power of the 3.6 flat six.
Yeah the Outback would be a great machine but since you have a space issue, perhaps look into the Ascent ?
And of course, this 2 liter "non-turbo" Crosstrek (has the 2.5 liter engine now) which now would greatly benefit having a turbo ... same with the Impreza ... lack of "juice" !
For me, it is plenty good enough ... although it would be nice to have a bit more power.