Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2021, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
By then, why would you want a gas-only car? EVs will be improved, but that's not the only alternative. I've been driving nothing but hybrids for four years. One is a plug-in hybrid, with EV range for local trips. They're fast, quiet, comfortable cars that require no operational compromises. I recharge at home, never on the road. One tank of gas can take me nearly 600 miles.
Simple. When you need to romp on it, people want that VROOOOOOM, not a barely audible eeeeeeeeeeeee. I tried watching a Formula E race a while back and couldn't stop laughing at how they all sounded like RC cars. But my real beef with EV cars is that they are not zero emissions like everyone wants to claim. They are transferred emissions. Instead of emissions from the tail pipe, it's emissions up a smoke stack at the power plant. If you can't be honest in your marketing, I'm not buying what you're selling.

11-20-2021, 09:00 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Toyota RAV4 here, but my step-son drives a Crosstrek. He shoots with his iPhone.
11-20-2021, 09:07 AM   #78
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Right now, I wouldn't touch one with a 10 ft pole. Everybody I know who has bought a Subaru in recent years has had head gasket failure or transmission failures. My next door neighbor bought a new Subaru WRX in February and just got rid of it after the third major repair. For whatever reason, they still seem to have a reputation of being a reliable car. She got $2000 over her purchase price on a trade in. She laughs about it and says it's now somebody else's headache. My sister in law has had her Forester back 3 times for blown head gaskets and is looking to get rid of it before the warranty runs out.
That's not what my family's Subaru dealership service center reflects. Yes, there are problems, like any brand; but the majority on the road here do not experience them.
11-20-2021, 09:14 AM - 2 Likes   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Late joining in ... or maybe I did and I am too lazy to check:

Been driving Subarus since the mid 80's !!

First one was a Loyale ... little thing with that red button on the shifter stick and that behave like a small truck! Tough and reliable.
Next one was an Impreza "station wagon" ... ugly but still dependable.
Then a Subaru Impreza GT followed by two Legacy's ... finally a little Impreza which I am currently driving.

I my part of the world, this symmetrical AWD system is almost a "must" and I wouldn't change brand.

Cheers!

11-20-2021, 01:46 PM   #80
Closed Account

I used to own a Forester to accompany my *ist D. It remains one of my favourite cars. Terrible mpg but super practical and reliable. Increasing repair costs and rust eventually did for it, in fact I probably kept it longer than was sensible because I liked it so much.
11-21-2021, 02:13 AM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Simple. When you need to romp on it, people want that VROOOOOOM, not a barely audible eeeeeeeeeeeee. I tried watching a Formula E race a while back and couldn't stop laughing at how they all sounded like RC cars. But my real beef with EV cars is that they are not zero emissions like everyone wants to claim. They are transferred emissions. Instead of emissions from the tail pipe, it's emissions up a smoke stack at the power plant. If you can't be honest in your marketing, I'm not buying what you're selling.
Not in this neck of the woods: hydro-power, not to mention solar-PV on the rooftop. The main reason I don’t currently have an EV as my city car is because the local offerings are:
  1. Boring; and/or
  2. Expensive.

I do, however, rather like the subtle but nonetheless present exhaust note that my 4-year-old DS3 makes (European hot hatch, probably unknown to most North Americans) when I depress the loud pedal, and I’ll miss it when it goes. But it will go, eventually.

Subarus? Plentiful here.
Pentaxes? Not so.
No linkages, sociological or numerical.
11-21-2021, 05:50 AM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a charter Pentaxian - 20+ years - but my heart still belongs to Nikon.

The only two BBB A+ accredited dealers in our area are Subaru and Mazda, twenty miles away but a half mile apart.
Once the car shortage eases we will purchase a new AWD vehicle at one or the other.

Likely we'll get more in trade for my wife's 2012 Mazda 3 at Mazda.
We've been using that particular dealer for about 20 years.
Their service department is good as gold.

Chris

11-21-2021, 07:00 AM - 2 Likes   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I'm a charter Pentaxian - 20+ years - but my heart still belongs to Nikon.

The only two BBB A+ accredited dealers in our area are Subaru and Mazda, twenty miles away but a half mile apart.
Once the car shortage eases we will purchase a new AWD vehicle at one or the other.

Likely we'll get more in trade for my wife's 2012 Mazda 3 at Mazda.
We've been using that particular dealer for about 20 years.
Their service department is good as gold.

Chris
Next time you visit your Mazda dealer if they’re available,take an MX5/Miata for a test drive.I can guarantee you won’t have had much more fun on four wheels!
11-29-2021, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Probably, but we drive Nissans and Chevys ({Pathfinder, 370Z, Chevy Colorado ZR2)
11-29-2021, 08:05 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nahh in a mazda here
11-30-2021, 05:46 AM - 2 Likes   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

EVs can use power sourced from anything that generates electricity. ICE cars have to burn petroleum or some kind of bio-petroleum equivalent. If I had an EV with solar panels on the roof of my house I could have very, very low emissions. No such option for an ICE car.

Over the last 20 years the US has shifted from 50% coal, 20% natural gas to something like 40% gas, 20% coal. That's not perfect, but it's an improvement. EVs have benefited from that. ICE cars haven't, their power sources are still 100% burning gas/diesel.
12-01-2021, 02:38 AM   #87
Pentaxian

2nd hand Nissan X-trail T31. I wanted diesel and the Subarus are known to be problematic unless you go some narrow expensive path with engines from from 2014 onwards before they said they are not going to do diesel engines anymore. I love my nissan.
12-01-2021, 06:11 PM   #88

We don't speak that language in my family!

---------- Post added 12-01-21 at 06:13 PM ----------

Hear ye. Hear ye!!!!!

---------- Post added 12-01-21 at 06:14 PM ----------

Hear ye. Hear ye!!!!!
12-02-2021, 10:37 AM   #89
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
Probably, but we drive Nissans and Chevys ({Pathfinder, 370Z, Chevy Colorado ZR2)
Now there's an off road vehicle...your Chevy Colorado ZR2. Also the 370Z...for sports driving and the Pathfinder a good all rounder. Great selection of vehicles.
12-02-2021, 11:25 AM   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

well well, I still drive my beloved 2010 Ford Focus , I had it since new , absolutely no problems , love it!
The same vintage as my other beloved item : 2010 MacBook Pro 17" ( they do not make them any more...)