Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2021, 06:20 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Google Street View when someone decides that it is funny or cool to record it at night, in fog, looking into a low sun, or from a high level drone. Does it not have editors? How does this stuff like this get through? Yes I know you can get a different view by going back in the timeline, and the previous view here was fine - so why replace it?

And while I'm at it, the ultra-low contrast used in Google Maps.

That idiot John Sergeant (TV presenter, UK readers will know him, looks like a sack stuffed with beetroots) said that Streetview was bad because it was only for people being nosy. It did not occur to him that it is a working tool for many, such as for locating premises before you actually travel there, to help find them. I even check the road lane markings if the area is new to me.

12-28-2021, 06:32 AM   #17
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When we lived in NY we kept a 2011 Altima down at the in-laws place in Florida - they didn't drive anymore, but they lived in a condo and it was amazing how many times that rear bumper got scratched just sitting there - long story short we still have the car, now that we are down here we got it repainted - sure enough rear ended in less than a month!
12-28-2021, 06:51 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Right, Happy New Year
02-01-2022, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Over the years I’ve owned seven brand new vehicles and the longest time without someone else damaging one was two months.
One vehicle was backed into the same day I bought it. Big scuffs through the paint on the (thankfully) plastic rear bumper.
Another car was damaged when some shopper at a mall decided to set a heavy box on the rear deck lid of my car, then slid it off. The large staples in the box bottom made some nasty scratches. Another car was damaged when an older woman driving a Cadillac Escalade kicked her door open and slammed it against the passenger front door of my truck, while I was getting into my truck. I confronted her and she, in her exact words said **** OFF!. She put a deep, sharp dent in my truck door and told me too **** OFF! Sorry, but I used my knee and left her a remembrance in her drivers side door.

02-01-2022, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

My 93 Celica already looks like its been through a blender so I don't have to worry about stuff like this
02-03-2022, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

I frequently search for, and occasionally purchase, items on Ebay. I live in the UK. My Ebay address is in the UK. I use a UK bank account Yet, EVERY TIME I do a search, I have to amend the 'Item location' field from Default to UK Only. Does anyone know of a way to prevent this, please ? I know it is only a small matter, not even registering on the scale of World Importance events, but so often I find an item which suits my requirements is coming from China, and will take some six weeks to two months to arrive (I have no prejudice against sellers in any country - it is just that, being rich in years, I like to purchase items which stand a chance of arriving before my need for them has ended !)
02-03-2022, 06:42 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Does anyone know of a way to prevent this, please ?
No I don't.

Also, the order of the list keeps defaulting back to "Best Match" rather than the more useful "Newly Listed" or just leaving it as you last used it. Best Match really seems to mean Random Item, because if you search for "Pentax Lens" for example it is quite likely to have a Vivitar or Sigma lens at the top of the page.

02-03-2022, 03:19 PM   #23

Bought a 2001 Toyota Corolla last week from a guy who inherited from his father, very low kilometres, in perfect condition. His father meticulously maintained and cleaned the car, always stored in his garage and only drove 20.000km in it the last 14 years. It still looked and feels like brand new.

I came home with my new pride and joy, wanted to open the boot (which i didn't know only works with the key or from the inside) and ripped off the boot lid handle, cracked in two pieces. My daughter almost cried because of my stupidity. A perfect time machine, turned in to old beater with Gorilla tape on the back in less then half an hour.

I hope i can clue it together and maybe 3d print some studs or something to get it right again. It's really hard to take off in one piece so the chance of finding one in a scrapyard isn't that big.
02-04-2022, 07:30 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ernie C. Quote
Bought a 2001 Toyota Corolla last week from a guy who inherited from his father, very low kilometres, in perfect condition. His father meticulously maintained and cleaned the car, always stored in his garage and only drove 20.000km in it the last 14 years. It still looked and feels like brand new.

I came home with my new pride and joy, wanted to open the boot (which i didn't know only works with the key or from the inside) and ripped off the boot lid handle, cracked in two pieces. My daughter almost cried because of my stupidity. A perfect time machine, turned in to old beater with Gorilla tape on the back in less then half an hour.

I hope i can clue it together and maybe 3d print some studs or something to get it right again. It's really hard to take off in one piece so the chance of finding one in a scrapyard isn't that big.
Ernie…not the only one that this happens to….bought a used 1982 Lancia Zagato convertible. Went to pick it up and instead of a gas cap the person put a rag into the hole as he lost the cap! Then one powered window was loose and some engine work needed. Gave it to my mechanic and told him…be very careful as one window is loose inside the door…put it up very slowly and please repair it. Went to pick up the car and was told the mechanic broke the window! Oh and BTW, we cannot find another window anywhere! It took me a while to find a window…from calling a farm in England, Parts people in the USA, etc. Then I called a parts place in California and by luck they had a car that was a write off, back end smashed in. They agreed to sell me the window but only if I bought the pair. So I had to pay for crating and shipping 2 windows from California to Toronto Canada. Mechanic never apologized.