Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2021, 07:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

health during covid?

just wondering where you all are at currently?
with gyms closing, then reopening for a day, then closing again, and then back and forth, how are you handling your mental health?

due to personal life falling a part, i took a step away from gym in summer 2019. Then covid hit, and that just made it worse. Before, it was my choice to step away, and now, its being forced on me that i cant work out.

having made enough excuses, i am going to just buy weights and work out at home. though i wont be able to buy the weights i need due to how expensive they are, and limited space, i rather have 'something'. enough to work out my upper body, but lower body will have to suffer until covid is done.

how are you staying healthy?

04-29-2021, 08:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We have a treadmill and a recumbent bike. Have a small tv by the exercise equipment to watch while exercising makes the time pass quicker. We get out and walk when we can.
04-29-2021, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
. . . i am going to just buy weights and work out at home. though i wont be able to buy the weights i need due to how expensive they are, and limited space, i rather have 'something'. enough to work out my upper body, but lower body will have to suffer until covid is done.. . .
find household items to lift

put some cans in a grocery bag

lift gallon jugs

QuoteQuote:
Weight of water by unit of measure

Volume
Weight (oz) Weight (lb) Weight (g)Weight (kg)

1 gallon 133.53 oz 8.345 lb 3,785.4 g 3.785 kg
QuoteQuote:
One US gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds at 62°F, . . .
put them in grocery bags and lift multiple bags at a time

etc, etc, etc,

boy do I wish I would follow my own advice

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-29-2021 at 09:42 AM.
04-29-2021, 09:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am falling apart since last year. Had been trying to get in shape, when gyms closed. Now just walking a little, but also hiking when the mood is right.What can you do........

04-29-2021, 09:48 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
. . . What can you do........
the best you can and don't get depressed over what that is
04-29-2021, 11:25 AM   #6

As aslyfox says staying positive is the key. The rest will come naturally. And now that spring has finally arrive I have mowing the lawn to look forward to!
04-29-2021, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Last time I was in a gym was at school - so 53 years ago. Don't drive, so walk a lot (usually carrying camera bag), cycle when I can, carry all shopping home on my back in rucksack (over a mile from closest Lidl's). Often use the UK Local Government exercise regime :

Jumping to conclusions, and ducking responsibility.

04-29-2021, 12:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
find household items to lift

put some cans in a grocery bag

lift gallon jugs

put them in grocery bags and lift multiple bags at a time

etc, etc, etc,

boy do I wish I would follow my own advice

sadly that doesn't comply when you need about 350+ lbs. lifting the fridge or laundry machine will give you injuries, and a hefty bill from the handyman/woman to fix the damage you've caused, plus, time off for healing the damage you've caused.

not bragging, but my lower body is significantly stronger than my upper body. so upper body i can do with buying dumbbells, but at $2. per lbs, the 300lbs weight will be far more than i can afford.
04-29-2021, 02:12 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the old Weider home gym that we got for the boys when they were teens and insisted that they had to have it or they would die.

I also have a set of weights, a bench and a rack for the weights that belonged to my late son. I really need to sell them. Just sitting down there doing nothing and taking up a lot of room. I could get plenty of exercise just lugging it all up to the garage.
04-29-2021, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Working 40 hours a week ( not a desk job), plus hiking and shooting has helped. Upper body work out is handholding Pentax 645Z. I've actually lost a little weight vs pre covid. Getting out in nature with the camera and listening to music on highend stereo keeps me sane.

Thanks,
barondla
04-30-2021, 06:02 AM   #11
Pentaxian

When everything closed down last spring, I immediately began walking at least 3 miles every day. I was furloughed from work and needed to be on my feet and keep my mobility at a decent level. I'm a swimmer and our pools were closed so for more intense exercise, I was cycling 10 miles every other day and doinlg a lot of resistance band workouts. In late May, it became warm enough to open water swim so I hit the lakes and ponds in the area. Even so, I still gained over 10 pounds and my cholesterol crept back up. Thankfully, the pools were able to open in July and I was able to get back into my regular swimming routine to some degree. Our Masters team still can't group practice so I have to push myself a little harder.
04-30-2021, 07:19 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been practicing social distancing since 1957, so I am in the enviable position of not really being bothered that I can't do the things that I never did before I couldn't do them. I haven't been to a bar since 1983, we rarely go to restaurants as both my wife and I are gourmet cooks anyway.
My warehouse job provides sufficient workouts that I have never bothered with going to a gym, (the last time I was at a gym was in high school in 1974) both upper body by lifting stuff repeatedly, and lower body by walking some 20km per day at work keeps me sufficiently fit, and I walk the dogs daily.

For me, the pandemic really hasn't been all that big a deal. It gives me an excuse to shun people, but I've always done that anyway.
04-30-2021, 03:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I'm not a gym enthusiast so gyms being closed hasn't really bothered me. Aside from that I've done everything exactly the same this past year as I have before, with the exception of businesses requiring masks, of course. Im a road-tripper so I've just continued to do that and have enjoyed it as much as ever. Walking and hiking are my only exercises so I havent gone backwards on the health front, at least.
05-04-2021, 06:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I've been practicing social distancing since 1957, so I am in the enviable position of not really being bothered that I can't do the things that I never did before I couldn't do them. I haven't been to a bar since 1983, we rarely go to restaurants as both my wife and I are gourmet cooks anyway.
My warehouse job provides sufficient workouts that I have never bothered with going to a gym, (the last time I was at a gym was in high school in 1974) both upper body by lifting stuff repeatedly, and lower body by walking some 20km per day at work keeps me sufficiently fit, and I walk the dogs daily.

For me, the pandemic really hasn't been all that big a deal. It gives me an excuse to shun people, but I've always done that anyway.
you seem to live an incredible life! no sarcasm here.
thats awesome, and i bet leads to a less drama filled life?

good on you two!
05-04-2021, 10:48 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not a gym person anyway, so the closures have not really impacted my physical condition. The wife and I have been walking for a few miles each day when the weather cooperates. When it didn't during the winter, there was always snow to shovel. Having the local school closed for a while was actually helpful for walking, as it reduced the traffic in the neighborhood. Now that the weather is getting warmer I also get my exercise digging in the garden.