Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-03-2021, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Goodbye AOL and Yahoo

Verizon sells AOL and Yahoo for about half of what it paid - The Verge

I never understood why they bought them in the first place. Buy high and sell low, the CEO should get a huge bonus.

05-03-2021, 03:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I saw the thread title, I thought they may be going away completely. After reading further, I was relieved to see that I don't have to get a new e-mail address (not yet anyway). I've had the same yahoo one since the late 90's, so really don't want to change it.
05-03-2021, 03:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't think it's good long-term news for those companies, but when's the last time they had good long-term news?
05-03-2021, 04:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Buy high, sell low, get a nice tax write off?

05-03-2021, 04:05 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Buy high and sell low, the CEO should get a huge bonus.
That wouldn't surprise me.
05-03-2021, 04:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
When I saw the thread title, I thought they may be going away completely. After reading further, I was relieved to see that I don't have to get a new e-mail address (not yet anyway). I've had the same yahoo one since the late 90's, so really don't want to change it.
The same here. Had yahoo mail for as long as I can remember.
Who / What is AOL?
Little googling. Some info for people like me.
AOL is an American web portal and online service provider based in New York City.
You may be surprised to learn that AOL Mail still exists, though you no longer need a CD-ROM to install the program. Most of the company's products are now web-based, but a quarterly earnings report shockingly revealed that 2.1 million people were still using and paying for AOL's dial-up service as recently as 2015
05-03-2021, 05:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I still have and use my AOL email, same email address since the late 90's. My other email is from my ISP, Frontier, which is actually powered by Yahoo so I'm using both.

I have a DSL line from Frontier but just up the road a little way, it ends. A LOT of people around upstate NY still rely on dial up. It has become a political issue in some towns since the lock down. The absurd part is that schools are closed for classes and virtual classes only but since there is no broadband, kids sit in the school parking lot or the gym to have class. I'm betting a good chunk of those 2.1 million AOL dial up customers are in NY.

05-03-2021, 05:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Buy high, sell low, get a nice tax write off?
Or sell it while it still has some "value" compared to waiting another 12 months when they might not be able to give it away.
05-03-2021, 07:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hope I get to keep the yahoo mail. Sadly my netscape mail was lost after aol acquired it.
05-03-2021, 07:25 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
though you no longer need a CD-ROM to install the program.
I can remember when AOL was distributing their software on 3.5 inch floppy discs. I think they may have even been inside cereal boxes at some point.
05-04-2021, 02:59 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Companies from another era -- AOL, Yahoo, Napster, and Netscape all come to mind. I guess they are still around, but not taking over the world like they seemed to be in the late 90s.
05-04-2021, 04:38 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
I can remember when AOL was distributing their software on 3.5 inch floppy discs. I think they may have even been inside cereal boxes at some point.
Just last week I was ribbing one of my lead engineers who's only in his 40s for still having an AOL email account. He was having issues connecting to his account, and I asked if he'd reinstalled from the floppies and tried dialing in with the modem again... And, no, he's not one of these pool souls in a rural area with no choice by dial in, he's somehow accessing his AOL email from a nice, modern broadband connection.
05-04-2021, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Private Equity Firm Heartbroken After Realizing There No AOL Employees Left To Fire
05-04-2021, 05:08 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I signed up to AoL as my first isp way back and immediately got an email offering introductions to glamorous Russian grandmas, tovarich. Boy did they read me wrong...

It was a well-known security flaw in their system which everyone daft enough to use AoL suffered with: didn’t stay long with them before signing to a more professional outfit.
05-04-2021, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Still have my AOL e-mail account from the early 1990's. I works. It has pretty much the same interface and is not constantly being redesigned to "improve the customer experience". It does what I need and does it good. I even pay for it. I get credit monitoring and other things as part of the price. Not a bad deal at all.