Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Congratulations on getting your sweet new wheels. You'll no doubt start thrashing it about right away. I know I would.

Slightly jealous over here by the way.
Actually it is quite wintery here. The temperature has been below 0 (Celsius) for a couple weeks now. Even on the best of days the roads are icy and slippery. A friend is helping by bringing it home on Saturday in his truck, but no riding for me until spring.

Sad, I know.

11-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #32

Congrats... This a poem I wrote a long time ago after a nice long ride on my Harley..

Warm Summer's Day, Wind in your Hair
Sun on your Face and the shine of the chrome
The smell of leather, and the sound of the pipes
Your lost in the moment.
Heading to the Mountains,
Or cruising the Coast
It's not always the Destination
But the roads you've taken.

The feeling of being free, but
Take your time, don't live to fast,
Follow your heart and dreams
Enjoy life, as it all has to end.

Last edited by Suzu; 03-28-2009 at 04:41 AM.
11-28-2008, 02:31 AM   #33
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wow .... poetry ..... I'm speechless.

It's not often one starts a thread that generates poetry.

Thanks.

BTW - that is one big muther of a bike!
11-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Actually it is quite wintery here. The temperature has been below 0 (Celsius) for a couple weeks now. Even on the best of days the roads are icy and slippery. A friend is helping by bringing it home on Saturday in his truck, but no riding for me until spring.

Sad, I know.
....but you can polish it and take lots of photos of it..

11-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
....but you can polish it and take lots of photos of it..
Fer sur! I am picking it up tomorrow so I will take a pic to confirm it is in my possession.

Damn winter!
11-28-2008, 07:31 PM   #36

Wow .... poetry ..... I'm speechless.

It's not often one starts a thread that generates poetry.

Thanks.

BTW - that is one big muther of a bike!
Thanks, I think

I'll try not to do it again
11-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #37
Inactive Account

THis thread got me to thinking about a high-end scooter to replace my recently sold 2006 Triumph Bonneville..I came across Piaggio scooters when looking at the Peugeot scooters..

Piaggio USA

I find the MP3 series scooters very interesting..Anybody know someone that has purchased one of these??..Your thoughts??..

I be especially interested in learning the real world gas mileage of the MP3-250cc & MP3-500cc models..I could not find any estimated fuel economy statistics on any of the sites that I visited..

Bruce

04-05-2015, 12:06 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Hey, curious how your KLR650 is treating you! I'm looking at getting it and throwing panniers on it to carry camping stuff and photography stuff.

Is it smooth on the road? Perhaps would like a 100-200mi trip be comfortable?
04-05-2015, 08:01 AM   #39
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Back in the 1960's motorcyclists were often associated with criminals and hoodlums.
Yep...I rode a million miles back then on my Triumph and BSA bikes. I had several models, all were fantastic! All over Mexico, all over everywhere! Once rode from Dallas to Mexico and only saw two other bikes on the entire ride....it was different times back then...and a whole lot less traffic. I have a billion bike stories, but I will spare you the space here!

Yep, I was a criminal and a hoodlum....and I still am...just too old to practice my criminalism and hoodlum antics.

Regards! ...be safe, because those drivers coming your way certainly are not!
04-05-2015, 08:04 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have never owned a motorcycle but they look like lots of fun. The allure is understandable.

Back in the 1960's motorcycles were often associated with criminals and hoodlums.
When my older brother bought a motorcycle my mom never told him he couldn't have one.
She just wouldn't let him keep it at home. A you might have guessed he didn't own it long.

Owning a motorcycle in the city looks like more trouble than it's worth, and most of us seldom have the time to get away.
If you live in a rural area and have free time a motorcycle makes more sense. Better yet if you own some land and like trail riding.

I know quite a few people who have owned motorcycles and not one of them hasn't had an accident with serious injuries.
There's a couple of episodes of the Louis C.K. series Louie where he gets a motorcycle. It doesn't end well.

I'm not young and immortal anymore, so I will content myself to restrict my two-wheeled adventures to a bicycle.
And the occasional scenic ride Upstate no doubt looks as nice from behind the windshield of my car...

Chris
04-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #41
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I know quite a few people who have owned motorcycles and not one of them hasn't had an accident with serious injuries.
In my riding days, I owned 21 motorcycles, ranging from dirt bikes (first was a Hodaka 90!!), going up to a Honda GoldWing. I put many, many miles on them without ever having an accident! I didn't ride like an old lady either; one of my favorites was a Honda 500 Turbo, that left many of the boys with red faces, as I left them far behind!
04-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Scootatheschool1990 Quote
Hey, curious how your KLR650 is treating you! I'm looking at getting it and throwing panniers on it to carry camping stuff and photography stuff.

Is it smooth on the road? Perhaps would like a 100-200mi trip be comfortable?
The OP hasn't been here since 2012, so I doubt he'll be answering your inquiry.
04-05-2015, 08:34 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I've had a few bikes over the years but it's been almost 20 years since I've ridden.
I told (warned) my wife I was getting one in the new year but a deal has suddenly popped up that is almost too good to believe.

A local Kawasaki dealer has an '08 KLR650 up for sale; it's red, too!

It will be a great way to get out and take more pictures!
Congrats on getting a bike. I too thought that I'd get to more places to take pics, but I found that I had so much fun riding that I almost never stopped specifically to take pics.

***edit*** Uh-oh, bit by the necro-post!
04-05-2015, 06:45 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Off-road motorcycling has been my first love since I'm 12 - that's getting close to 47 years, now, and I rode on 60 separate days last year, desert or track. Been riding on the street since the early 70s, fell off three times, with no serious injuries.

Lucky as hell.
04-05-2015, 07:12 PM   #45
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
The OP hasn't been here since 2012, so I doubt he'll be answering your inquiry.
Let's hope he is out riding and not in "bikers heaven"? New riders don't always fare too well.

Back about 20 years ago I had a young man that worked for me who just graduated from High School. His big brother just received a large settlement on an injury he received on the job, and took my young worker to a bike shop in Ft worth and let him pick out a 750 Kawasaki of his choice as a graduation present. The young man had some experience with a friends 750 so he was not a total stranger to riding. His big brother, caught up in the buying spree, and with a pocket full of cash, bought himself a 1000cc model, although his only riding experience had been on a 100cc Honda dirt bike several years earlier.
They picked up their bikes one afternoon, all ready to go and rode around town for a while then that evening after dark they headed back home from the city. On a long straightaway they opened 'em up......forgetting there was a sharp curve just over a rise in the road. The younger rider made it...barely...his older brother took to the grass on the roadside, hit a 12 foot deep concrete culvert and literally exploded against to far side cement wall. Dead instantly.

Seen it happen too many times. These are not toys, they can be deadly and it can happen in the blink of an eye. I was lucky and a safe rider....both factor.....luck and riding safe. Unfortunately, many new riders don't always understand what safe means on a bike. Let's hope again the OP was not one of them.

Regards!
Closed Thread