Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2007, 09:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
CompUSA deal - Epson P-2000

Don't know how many of you in the US have CompUSA in your town, but they are closing about 1/2 their stores nationwide. I've been staking out our local CompUSA for some deals and found a decent one today. I bought the Epson P-2000 40GB multimedia viewer for $270, plus there's a $50 rebate through Epson. This one has a nice 3.8" LCD and it displays Pentax raw files, plus it plays music and movies. It's a discontinued item, but still works fine with my K100D files. If that's too much, they also have the Flashpac 40GB card reader/viewer for $90. It will also display the Pentax raw files, but the LCD isn't that great, it's bigger than the Epson, and it doesn't seem that well made.

They also have a variety of monitors, but they're only at 10% off right now. When the price drops a little more, I'll pick up a second monitor.

As for cameras, my store doesn't carry Pentax, but they had a decent selection of Nikon, Canon, and Olympus dSLRs plus a wide variety of P&S cameras. They also have plenty of printers, paper and ink.

Our store will close in 60 days, and the manager said the prices are adjusted on Thursday's, so if you're tracking anything, factor that into your hunt.

Anyhoo...happy hunting if you have a store in your area. Before you buy, though, do a quick price check on the internet. Not all their prices are that great, and just because they're going out of business doesn't always mean the prices are better than other places.

03-10-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have an Epson P-2000 that I've used when traveling. Great piece of equipment; you'll love it. Needless to say I paid a bit more.
Multi-location chains move better selling items to nearby stores when they close one down, so you really have to prowl the store as they flush it out.
Thanks for the heads up.
03-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
Multi-location chains move better selling items to nearby stores when they close one down, so you really have to prowl the store as they flush it out.
Thanks for the heads up.
There's been some debate about that on FatWallet. Apparently, the stores set for closing were already sold to a liquidation place, meaning that the merchandise may not be transferred. I haven't noticed a significant decrease in their stock yet, but either way, the good stuff does seem to mysteriously disappear. I plan to make regular scouting runs to keep tabs on it.

Glad to hear that you've had good luck with the P-2000. I'm looking forward to adding it to my travel gear.
03-10-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I checked my local CompUSA today: the Epson P-2000 was selling for a measly 5% off the regular price. I think I'll give it a few weeks and see if the price drops. I'm sure I can find it from a reputable Internet retailer for less than the CompUSA price minus 5%. But I did find a few other items with a more reasonable discount in the store today.

03-10-2007, 10:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
I checked my local CompUSA today: the Epson P-2000 was selling for a measly 5% off the regular price. I think I'll give it a few weeks and see if the price drops. I'm sure I can find it from a reputable Internet retailer for less than the CompUSA price minus 5%. But I did find a few other items with a more reasonable discount in the store today.
Yeah, 5% is pretty weak. However, the cheapest I could find it online was refurbished via the Epson store for $359. I think it's been discontinued so long that they're hard to find. Did you find out how many they had in inventory? That will give you a better idea of how long to wait.
03-10-2007, 10:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The P2000 is great - I've had mine for over a year, and use it all the time, both at home and while traveling.