Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2021, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
But the cubic cubit doesn't specify whether it uses the regular cubit (elbow to fingertip) or the royal cubit (regular cubit plus a handspan)? Enquiring minds would like to know.

05-15-2021, 12:24 PM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
But we presently have a mongrel system part Imperial (all road signs, fuel consumption are in miles,mpg,etc) and part metric (all weights and volumes have to be displayed in kg, litres etc).
There was a time when we almost lost the pint of beer to be replaced with 0.5 litre

---------- Post added 05-15-21 at 07:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
3.78 liters is 128 fluid ounces. In Canada, when we went metric, the volume of a "gallon" of milk lost something like nine ounces.
Are they US fluid ounces or UK fluid ounces?
05-15-2021, 12:46 PM   #63
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It is all about the appearance to the consumer.
The consumer here doesn't seem to largely want this globalized, euro inspired nonsense.

Special interests such as USMA (through liberal colleges and universities) have been trying to push this on American citizens for many many many years. Over 100. There has been some success through putting metric measurements on product containers. Similar to the Hispanicization of the US in putting Spanish as a second form of language on containers/roads signs/advertisements and such.

Killing the standing culture for another (that doesn't even live here).

You can be darned sure, if they ever succeed, I'm still going to use Fahrenheit, US miles, inches, fluid ounces, US gallons, and Americanized English.

If I wanted to use other forms of measurement and take in another culture, I'd move to another country. Live and let live.
05-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #64
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
There was a time when we almost lost the pint of beer to be replaced with 0.5 litre
Just curious here.
In the U.S. a pint is 16 ounces. Is it there also or is it actually .5 Litre?

05-15-2021, 01:00 PM   #65
Closed Account

Original Poster
From a retired Science teacher, where we always used the metric system I can tell you this.
Using the old English system of measuring actually & often makes more sense to what humans humanly manage. One example is a gallon of milk - it's the right size to carry about as much weight as a human can reasonably carry and get the most milk for the manageable size and weight of the container. Another example is a pint of beer. A pint is simply the right size to hand hold and drink from. Feet is another example, most people can generally step off how many feet long something is with one foot in front of the other and get a really good estimate - the feet and inches, we taught in Science class, was actually based on the size of the kings foot and inch the size from the knuckle part of the thumb to the end of the thumb (based on the kings thumb again, which did present a problem when a new king came along and the distance had to be changed for foot and inch size for everyone). Using Fahrenheit to adjust the temperature in a room gives more flexibility because adjusting temperature in Fahrenheit degrees gives you "more control" on the amount you want to adjust the temperature up and down (for example, if it's 68 degrees Fahrenheit and you adjust the thermostat up to 72 degrees, that is actually increasing Celsius from 20 to 22.2 degrees - adjusting the temperature in Fahrenheit degrees gives you more "degrees" when you want to barely adjust the temperature in the room up or down a little [if one adjusted the temperature 4 degrees in Celsius, it would be like adjusting the temperature 7.2 degrees in Fahrenheit - harder to reach your comfort level, in my opinion. The list goes on.

Anyways, I'm still more concerned with seeing someone submit a photo of these new "gallon looking" containers of milk, that tricks people into thinking they grabbed a whole gallon of milk.

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 05-15-2021 at 01:24 PM.
05-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Just curious here.
In the U.S. a pint is 16 ounces. Is it there also or is it actually .5 Litre?
A UK pint is 20 UK fluid ounces or 0.568 litres. A pint glass in a bar used to be slightly oversized with a line to mark a pint. This allowed for a head on the beer as well as a full pint. Now a pint glass holds a pint when full to the brim so if you don't insist and ask for it to be topped up you very rarely get a full pint.

05-15-2021, 01:20 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

If retail laws required (at least on the shelf) the price per unit volume and the actual price of the container, you would learn pretty fast to read the lables
AFAIK, those laws exist in several places in Europe... or at least, the price per unit (volume, mass, unit itself) is always there.

But then again we're crazy people who put the actual money you have to pay as the price, no need to calculate taxes .

05-15-2021, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #68
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Now a pint glass holds a pint when full to the brim so if you don't insist and ask for it to be topped up you very rarely get a full pint.
I remember seeing that on tv news when it changed.
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
But then again we're crazy people who put the actual money you have to pay as the price, no need to calculate taxes .
Making things easier for the consumer. What a strange concept.
05-15-2021, 01:33 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Anyways, I'm still more concerned with seeing someone submit a photo of these new "gallon looking" containers of milk, that tricks people into thinking they grabbed a whole gallon of milk.
While I haven't seen it with milk, I have seen gallon-looking containers of orange juice that are actually 96oz.

05-15-2021, 01:38 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Special interests such as USMA (through liberal colleges and universities) have been trying to push this on American citizens for many many many years. Over 100. There has been some success through putting metric measurements on product containers. Similar to the Hispanicization of the US in putting Spanish as a second form of language on containers/roads signs/advertisements and such.

Hey, I've had to manage both systems for a very long time, because you guys insist on pushing your system on everyone else whenever anything involving engineering standards is on the table... So don't talk too loud . I swear to God if I have to calculate anything in BTU/ft3 again...

Also, a good portion of the US was speaking Spanish before anyone uttered a word of English in those places
05-15-2021, 01:44 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Hey, I've had to manage both systems for a very long time, because you guys insist on pushing your system on everyone else whenever anything involving engineering standards is on the table... So don't talk too loud . I swear to God if I have to calculate anything in BTU/ft3 again...

Also, a good portion of the US was speaking Spanish before anyone uttered a word of English in those places
Be thankful US inches are the same as imperial inches (most of the time anyway)

05-15-2021, 01:46 PM - 2 Likes   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The consumer here doesn't seem to largely want this globalized, euro inspired nonsense.

You can be darned sure, if they ever succeed, I'm still going to use Fahrenheit, US miles, inches, fluid ounces, US gallons, and Americanized English.

If I wanted to use other forms of measurement and take in another culture, I'd move to another country. Live and let live.
Hahaha, you do realize this culture you're not wanting to leave has evolved over the years, and very much so not the culture native to North America?
05-15-2021, 01:47 PM   #73
Veteran Member

AFAIK, those laws exist in several places in Europe... or at least, the price per unit (volume, mass, unit itself) is always there.

Here, many stores have price per [volume/mass/unit] which is quite convenient - if there isn't you'll certainly see me in the aisle staring into space as I do some mental arithmetic
05-15-2021, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
...you'll certainly see me in the aisle staring into space as I do some mental arithmetic
And here was me thinking these photos were of some simple soul bemused at the sheer variety on sale: well, well!
05-15-2021, 02:39 PM   #75
mee
Veteran Member

Of course. How could I forget the wall.
The one in York or Chester?
Closed Thread