Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2021, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #1
Closed Account

A gallon of milk isn't always a gallon

In USA anyways,

I'm trying to convince my friend, that sometimes when you buy a gallon of milk (at a convenience store), that it looks like a gallon, but it's not 128 ounces.

She thinks that I'm actually buying a half gallon, but I'm telling her "no it looks like a gallon but is like 96 or 98 ounces or something."

I can't find any evidence on Google search or youtube search to support my case. Can anyone chime in, link me to it, or help me support my case - ?

I'd love a pic of these "gallon of milk looking jugs" to show her.

Regards,

Michael

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 05-13-2021 at 07:31 PM.
05-13-2021, 07:33 PM - 2 Likes   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
go to a convenience store and buy some milk?
05-13-2021, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #3
mee
Veteran Member

Can't you simply buy a gallon of milk, pour it into a measuring cup(s) and determine that way? Or a scale and weigh it.
05-13-2021, 07:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Regardless of shape ..by law it has to have the fluid oz s it contains which should settle the question.

One US gallon is 128 fluid oz.

Al

05-13-2021, 07:50 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Regardless of shape ..by law it has to have the fluid oz s it contains which should settle the question.

One US gallon is 128 fluid oz.

Al
true but some times, the fluid ounces isn't required -
the milk jug in my refrigerator says 1 U S Gallon ( 3.78 L )
05-13-2021, 07:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
true but some times, the fluid ounces isn't required -
the milk jug in my refrigerator says 1 U S Gallon ( 3.78 L )

Even so Alan...

Converting from gal.and liters to liquid oz is easy peezy..

[I]How many Ounces in 3.78 Liters
The answer to the question how many ounces in 3.78 liters depends on whether you have 3.78 US fl. oz, 3.78 US food labeling fl. oz, or 3.78 imperial fl. oz as explained in detail on our home page.

In the UK and Canada for example, ounces in the context of a liquid usually refer to imperial fluid ounces which are approximately 4% less than the customary American counterpart.

3.78 L = 127.82 US customary fluid ounces
3.78 L = 126 US food labeling fluid ounces
3.78 L = 133.04 Imperial fluid ounces
The above results of 3.78 liters to oz have been rounded to 2 decimal places. In case you need higher precision make use our converter in the next section of this page.

In the next part of 3.78 liters to oz we are also going to discuss the conversion in more detail.

Convert 3.78 Liters to Oz
To convert 3.78 liters to oz enter 3.78 in the first field, then confirm or select your unit from the drop down menu. Next, hit the convert button to obtain the equivalent in ounces.

If you like our volume converter, make sure to bookmark us now. To conduct a 3.78 liters to ounces conversion you can also use calculator applying these formulas:

US customary fluid ounces = [3.78] × 128/3.785411784
Imperial / UK / CA fluid ounces = [3.78] × 160/4.54609
US food labeling fluid ounces = [3.78] / 0.03
Apart from 3.78 liters to ounces, other volume conversions in this category include:/url]

Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-13-2021 at 10:02 PM.
05-13-2021, 08:05 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Even so Alan...
the labelling laws allows the term US Gallon vs. the amount of fluid ounces

I'm confused, I just quoted the label on the container

so what is the problem??

and my name is spelled Allen, not Alan or was that spell checked ?

can you name other ways that name is spelled

don't forget the rule about vowels

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-13-2021 at 08:10 PM.
05-13-2021, 09:33 PM   #8
Closed Account

Original Poster
I skimmed over, I admit, most of your comments.

The issue isn't whether it's labeled 128 ounces (a true gallon). The issue is that I, and my mother, have grabbed a jug of milk that "looks like" a gallon of milk at first - certainly looks like much more than a half gallon.

The issue is we've grabbed what looks like a gallon of milk, got home, and it's actually a bit smaller and is less ounces.

From our experience, this has occurred by grabbing what you think is gallon of milk, from a convenience store, only to get home to notice it is a little bit smaller, and actually labeled a bit less than 128 ounces. We have not experienced this at grocery stores like Kroger (or Walmart).

Regards,

Michael
05-13-2021, 09:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
the labelling laws allows the term US Gallon vs. the amount of fluid ounces

I'm confused, I just quoted the label on the container

so what is the problem??

and my name is spelled Allen, not Alan or was that spell checked ?

can you name other ways that name is spelled

don't forget the rule about vowels
Easy does it Allen... theres no problem. It was a simple mistake in spelling in your name. Nothing intentional and no insult intended. No need to lecture me on vowels either..I understand how they work.... as for the fluid oz...comments..

It really doesnt matter if its fluid oz or gallons.. its the same measurement system.. ounces make up gallons thats as basic as it gets.

Al
05-13-2021, 10:05 PM   #10
Closed Account

Original Poster
I think this thread will last bit long, and many of us will start looking to see if the "gallon of milk" we thought we picked up at a convenience store is actually a gallon.

And I am not talking about picking up a half gallon and mistaking it as a gallon.

I'm actually talking about picking up what we think is a gallon of milk, getting home, realizing it looked like a gallon of milk when we grabbed it, which actually turned out to be less ounces than a gallon.

Time will prove me right! I am confident! LOL!

Regards,

Michael - U.S. consumer of milk! - Ha!

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 05-13-2021 at 10:13 PM.
05-14-2021, 01:05 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's a gallon??????
05-14-2021, 02:31 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Easy does it Allen... theres no problem. It was a simple mistake in spelling in your name. Nothing intentional and no insult intended. No need to lecture me on vowels either..I understand how they work.... as for the fluid oz...comments..

It really doesnt matter if its fluid oz or gallons.. its the same measurement system.. ounces make up gallons thats as basic as it gets.

Al
no problem

the back story is that my dad did family history, I noted that " Allen " was a common name and spelling

when I mentioned that, his response was " don't be so sure - spell check was set for " Allen "

once in a while I see " Allyn " as a last name
05-14-2021, 02:36 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think if someone consistently sold half gallons of milk as gallons they would get into trouble pretty quickly. When companies downsized their ice cream containers from 1/2 gallons, they had to put the actual amount on the label. Not All Half-Gallons of Ice Cream Are Shrinking ! | Routing by Rumor).
05-14-2021, 02:49 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think if someone consistently sold half gallons of milk as gallons they would get into trouble pretty quickly. When companies downsized their ice cream containers from 1/2 gallons, they had to put the actual amount on the label. Not All Half-Gallons of Ice Cream Are Shrinking ! | Routing by Rumor).
I remember when they lower the amount of coffee in the bag there was a lot of unhappy people

but you knew it when you bought the bag
05-14-2021, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The issue has nothing to do with units of measure, or labeling laws, it is simply marketing. Make a container look like a similar but larger volume, and price it the same and most people won’t read the label to actually determine whether what you are buying is a fair value in terms of price per unit volume.

If retail laws required (at least on the shelf) the price per unit volume and the actual price of the container, you would learn pretty fast to read the lables
Closed Thread