Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
What's a gallon??????
One Gallon is 0.00454609 cubic metres - thought everybody knew that

05-14-2021, 09:47 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I skimmed over, I admit, most of your comments.

So is the milk skimmed or semi-skimmed?.........Sorry!
05-14-2021, 09:58 AM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

You could measure the container and do a bit of math, A gallon is defined by the FDA as 231 cubic inches.
CFR - Code of Federal Regulations Title 21
05-14-2021, 10:07 AM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I skimmed over, . . .
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
So is the milk skimmed or semi-skimmed?.........Sorry!

1 % or 2 %

05-14-2021, 10:18 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This discussion had better be lactose free...
05-14-2021, 10:21 AM   #21
Pentaxian

As long as the actual contents of the package are labeled, the size of the container is meaningless. Ice cream is another one. A lot of brands are now less than 1/2 gallon but the container is still pretty close to the same size as a normal 1/2 gallon. Expect to see a lot more of this as prices continue to rise. Put 96 ounces of milk in the gallon jug and sell it for the same price. Most people won't notice and as long as it's marked as 96 oz, no fraud has occurred. Snacks and cereal have been doing this forever, selling big bags or boxes that are half full.
05-14-2021, 10:21 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I skimmed over, I admit, most of your comments.
Glad I am late to this thread...

The issue is we've grabbed what looks like a gallon of milk, got home, and it's actually a bit smaller and is less ounces.
Ummm...yes...did it say 1 gal on the shelf or on the receipt? FWIW, similar is done with soft drinks, chips, and candy. The containers in my fridge say 1 U.S. Gallon. The price label on the shelf said Gallon as did the promotional on-sale sign above the cooler. Ditto for the receipt.

The deceit you encountered is a sad thing and you did get caught by the ruse. You can complain, but the store manager is well-aware they don't sell milk by the gallon. Best to avoid doing business there.

Steve

05-14-2021, 10:22 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Ice cream is another one. A lot of brands are now less than 1/2 gallon but the container is still pretty close to the same size as a normal 1/2 gallon.
My pet peeve...

Steve
05-14-2021, 11:36 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've noticed that some of the 'specialty' milks are being sold in non-standard sizes here in the US.
Fairlife brand sells plastic jugs that are only 52oz in size, but are put on the same shelves as the 64oz half-gallons of other brands.
Lactaid sells plastic jugs with handles that are 96oz in size, but are put on the same shelves as the 128oz full-gallons.

I've also seen OJ moving to 96oz containers.
05-14-2021, 12:02 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Our local supermarket (UK) sells the same milk in 2 pint and 1 litre (1.76 pints) containers which look very similar. They often put them on the same shelf next to each other so you need to be very careful that you have actually picked up the one you want.
I am sure they would claim to be offering the customer choice and won't admit to annoying them instead.
05-14-2021, 12:20 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps we should ask a milkman...

05-14-2021, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
What's a gallon??????
Rather a lot of milk to drink in a single sitting.

And if it's an Imperial gallon it's 160 fl.oz. instead of that cheapskate 128 in a US gallon – even more of a challenge...
05-14-2021, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Perhaps we should ask a milkman...

Monty Python: Seduced Milkmen - YouTube
05-14-2021, 01:26 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is the origin of the parsimonious US gallon? Why does the US even use the old imperial system, albeit distorted. I would have thought in the revolutionary fervour of the post War of Independence, the metric system would have been adopted.
05-14-2021, 01:44 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
What is the origin of the parsimonious US gallon? Why does the US even use the old imperial system, albeit distorted. I would have thought in the revolutionary fervour of the post War of Independence, the metric system would have been adopted.
Here's an answer:

QuoteQuote:
Way back - at the time we all lived together - we had used the Queen Anne's gallon of 3.785l to measure wine. We also had different volumes and names to measure both beer and grain. When we realised that this was silly, in 1824, the UK chose a single imperial term and lumped together all three measurements, picking a roughly-average volume and calling it a gallon. American colonists, though, stuck to tradition and kept just the Queen Anne's volume for their own gallon definition.
US Gallons And Imperial Gallons - Why Are They Different?
Closed Thread