Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
05-20-2021, 09:04 PM   #31
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This thread brings back memories of when my husband & I had a cabin with no electricity. Coleman lanterns were our light, and I was amazed at the light they put out. I also fondly remember the "hissing" of them.

Good memories!

05-21-2021, 04:45 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some thoughts on use of Feuerhand lamp indoors:

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/using-a-feuerhand-lantern-inside/

Chris
05-26-2021, 06:48 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

Very fitting for this topic, but it occurred to me that one of the first dozen images taken with my KP was of a 1969 Coleman that I repurposed as an LED lamp after it tried to set me on fire. I spent the first few weeks of covid wiring it up and hiding the wiring.

My brother in law bought a matching pair at a farm auction and dropped them off because because he knew I liked camping. My plan was to "flip" one and keep the other for myself, but the plan changed when I discovered a pinhole in the nicer of the two lanterns. I'd spent several evening in the basement taking it apart and getting everything cleaned up and pressure tested before lighting it. Everything was going great for about 5 minutes, before I heard a "pop" and a fine stream of fuel started spraying from a pinhole in fount, which then erupted into a ball of flames.

The other auction lantern had been stored with a clean fount and a good cap seal, so it was rust free and restored very nicely. I don't have any non-instagram photos of the working one(s), but the below 1970 model is my go-to for camping. It's a little more dramatic to get running than the 1990's models that I have, but it tends to have longer burn times than the 1990's models that I have.

Last edited by trixtroll; 05-26-2021 at 07:08 PM.