Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2021, 05:26 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Help! Windows 10 printer woes...

After finally upgrading to Windows 10 on my desktop PC my HP Laserjet will no longer print.
The printer worked fine under Windows 7 and it works fine plugged into my daughter's Windows 10 laptop.

All Windows updates have been installed. I defragmented the hard drive after installation was complete.
Windows antivirus and Malwarebytes scans were also performed.

Multiple times I have deleted and added the device to Windows, removing and reinstalling the drivers etc.

Windows troubleshooter and HP Print and Scan Doctor cannot resolve the problem.
Both utilities can see the installed printer but I cannot print a test page.
The latter says it is a port configuration problem.

Seeking further advice from PF resident Windows 10 gurus...

Chris

05-23-2021, 05:39 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Driver issue? Try searching for the Windows 10 driver for your printer and installing it...
05-23-2021, 05:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, that can be frustrating.
Some of the in-place upgrades from Win 7 to 10 go poorly.
It may be that it still has Win 7 drivers lying around for the printer.

How about some specifics, like which HP printer it is, and how connected - eg USB or WiFi or Ethernet ?

I have seen Windows install a PCL6 driver when the printer is only PCL5 capable, so you may have to find the correct vintage driver from HP.
Does it show up in the Device Manager?
Any errors in the Device Manager?

Here's what has worked for me:

1. Run Windows Update several times. Reboot after it installs updates, and check again. The update process does not always present every update when you would expect it to.

2. Disconnect the printer from the computer and power it off.
3. In Device Manager, View... Show Hidden Devices.
This will reveal "phantom" devices.
4. Delete all instances of the printer.
On the last instance, it will likely have a message asking if you also want to Delete the driver. Check that box.

5. Reboot the PC.

6. Install the correct HP software for the printer, downloaded from HP.

If you can't find it, try this for PCL5 - you may have to dig around:
HP Universal Print Driver for Windows - PCL 5 Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support
or for PCL6:
Universal Print Driver | HP® Official Site
and also:
HP Universal Print Driver Series for Windows Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support
Part way through the install, it will likely ask you to plug in the printer.
Follow the steps and you should be good.
05-23-2021, 05:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I had a similar issue when I upgraded a computer from W7 to 10.Like others have said I recall it was a driver issue and I had to search out and install separately the specific driver for the printer before it would work again.

05-23-2021, 08:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's an HP Laserjet Series 2200 PCL5.

I deinstalled printer and drivers, checked for hidden devices (none) rebooted and reset printer.
When USB cable plugged in Windows installs correct drivers and creates a DOT4 HP printer port.
I tried downloading the drivers from the HP website and installing printer manually also to no avail.

Windows troubleshooter detects no errors but says it cannot fix problem.
HP Print & Scan Doctor indicates there's a "Port Match" problem it can't fix.

I installed an Adaptec 2 port USB 2.0 PCI adapter card. It appears to be functioning properly.
However printer still does not function when plugged into any of systems numerous USB ports.

Though I have only ever used this printer via USB connection I noticed it does have a parallel port.
If I cannot get it to work via USB maybe I will purchase a parallel printer adapter card and cable.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 05-23-2021 at 11:23 AM.
05-23-2021, 09:15 AM   #6

Several possibilities:

Uninstall the device printer with the remove drivers option.

A) Restart Windows with the printer connected and on. Windows should detect the printer and download and install drivers for it. If not try running Windows update

or
B) Disconnect or turn off the printer. Right click on the Start button and pick "System". Towards the bottom of the "About" window click on "Advanced system settings". Click on the "Hardware" tab. "Click Device Installation Settings". Click "No (your device might not work as expected". Save changes. Install the printer drivers from HP. As I recall the printer should be off/disconnected until the point when you tell the driver installation that it is a USB printer connection and it tells you to turn on the printer and connect it. This is important because it keeps Windows from installing drivers before hand. I normally leave this set to "no" as Windows will sometimes update to versions that are buggy or don't work. You have to manually update your drivers but most of the time there is no need to update.

Sometimes you have to try old versions of the drivers until you find one that works. Unfortunately HP no longer keeps links for older versions on their support website and you have to hunt around on the Internet to find them. The installation CD can be a source for older drivers.

HP sometimes has a driver cleanup tool available for the printer. Running this can sometimes fix problems. One time I spent like 3 hours manually deleting every reference to HP in the registry to fix a problem. Nirsoft has a regscan tool that you can do mass deletes which would make the job easier. This procedure is not recommended unless you have a full image backup of your Windows drive.
05-23-2021, 05:54 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
and it works fine plugged into my daughter's Windows 10 laptop.
Yeah, something to do with your USB port configuration, Chris. Exactly what? Might be best to take it to a computer shop and just let them diagnose and put it right. Over the internet this situation is like trying to operate on a patient without seeing or feeling them.

05-23-2021, 07:25 PM   #8

Check to see if there are driver updates for the particular USB chipset on your motherboard.

Try enabling or disabling USB legacy support in BIOS. On my old system HP printers hated when Legacy support was enabled. Same printer on new system doesn't care.
05-24-2021, 10:53 AM   #9
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, something to do with your USB port configuration, Chris. Exactly what? Might be best to take it to a computer shop and just let them diagnose and put it right. Over the internet this situation is like trying to operate on a patient without seeing or feeling them.
There's always Windows Remote Assistance, Teamviewer, and other similar tools.
05-24-2021, 11:10 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I deleted HP drivers and downloaded recommended versions.
I also disabled USB legacy support in CMOS setup.
Problem remains, same symptoms and diagnostic results.

I made an appointment for a visit by a local PC repair tech.

Chris
05-24-2021, 05:50 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
There's always Windows Remote Assistance, Teamviewer, and other similar tools.
But there are peripherals involved, Bxf, so physical testing will need to be involved.
05-24-2021, 06:33 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
After finally upgrading to Windows 10 on my desktop PC my HP Laserjet will no longer print.
The printer worked fine under Windows 7 and it works fine plugged into my daughter's Windows 10 laptop.

All Windows updates have been installed. I defragmented the hard drive after installation was complete.
Windows antivirus and Malwarebytes scans were also performed.

Multiple times I have deleted and added the device to Windows, removing and reinstalling the drivers etc.

Windows troubleshooter and HP Print and Scan Doctor cannot resolve the problem.
Both utilities can see the installed printer but I cannot print a test page.
The latter says it is a port configuration problem.

Seeking further advice from PF resident Windows 10 gurus...

Chris
64 bit Windows 10 machine? PCL5 is 32 bit. That could be part of the problem.
You'll need the PCL6 drivers. See here: HP LaserJet 2200 Printer series Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support
05-24-2021, 06:40 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll add that I had one printer that simply would not work on Windows 10. No matter what I did. I ended up tossing it in the trash. (The printer, not windows 10)
05-25-2021, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Lady L got Win10 with her new laptop and it will not work with our HP CP1700 printer except in a very basic unformatted text mode. No advice here or anywhere else solves it, in fact I found numerous comments on IT forums that it is just not possible. If course it is not in HP's interest to offer a Win10 driver, although to do so would be a trivial job, and Microsoft don't care.

The printer worked fine with Win 7, which was better than 10 in every way. I only use her laptop to sort the frequent Win10 problems, and when I do the nagging is the worst aspect of it. If it were up to me I'd replace Win10 with Win7.
05-25-2021, 03:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

It is usual to suspect drivers as first area with printer problems and you seem to have covered a lot of ground trying to solve the issue without any luck so far. However it seems that you may have missed checking other areas?

The message of a "port configuration problem" is a clue that suggests that this may not be driver related but may be the printer is actually stuck in a loop with Windows maybe not knowing that it is turned on, even though it can be seen. There are a couple of things you may want to try before paying for a technician to service including disabling any third party firewall (disconnect from the net first), manually configure the port, or for a first try and the one I suspect do a hard reset of printer

1. Hard reset of printer. This should work fine for most HP's but you may want to confirm if yours requires a different procedure
  • With the printer turned on for a while without any activity physically disconnect the power cable from the rear of the printer
  • Now unlug the power cord from the wall socket
  • Wait for a couple of minutes
  • Reconnect the power cable to the wall and the printer
  • Turn printer on again and wait until it has ceased activity and is in idle mode
  • See if problem cured