Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2021, 09:18 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cooks333 Quote
I was on a run of Merrell's for several years, but bought the X Ultra 3 as my first pair of Salomons a couple of years ago and I love them. Definitely recommend staying away from Goretex if you're going to be hiking/walking a lot in hot weather. They breathe well and dry out pretty quick if they do get wet. Here in Phoenix, they've handled the heat, rocks and desert hikes great and I've also used them on international trips with lots of hiking. I've gotten about two years out of them and they stay comfortable even at the end of the longest 15-20 mi day hikes I've thrown at them.
Thanks for the input! I appreciate it. I'm leaning more and more towards the Salomon brand.

05-26-2021, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a couple of pairs of Redwing Irish Setters. They are comfy and waterproof, and have the advantage of looking like real shoes rather than the monstrosities that pass as athletic shoes these days.
I wouldn't go mountain climbing in them, but they are a good hiker shoe.
05-26-2021, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I’ve always been happy with Merrells !
05-26-2021, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

I have been using Keen Voyageur hiking shoes for most of the more trail oriented things I do. I also have North Face hiking shoes, which are not Gore-Tex. The Gore-Tex feature seems to take away from the comfortable fit and style of shoe that I enjoy. The Keen shoes are usually reliable, but if you get some just make sure to check how your feet fit in them. The North Face ones that I have are Ultra-109. I use them usually when I fly or when I need something for casual dress or some short hikes when traveling.

05-26-2021, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Huh, I've been a diehard goretex (or similar membrane) fan for a long time... I sweat a lot and the darned membranes are the best way for me to keep my feet dry (although I tend to hike more in humid environments than dry heat). I had no issues with the Grand Canyon in May (~35ºC or so?)

I had the older Salomon model (XA 3D Ultra 2) and they lasted a very short time of non-intensive use*. Main body and sole separated in less than a year (got it glued back) and the outer cover started tearing shortly after. I guess I got a bad pair, but after paying 120€ for that pair I've never given them a second chance. The zip system was very cool, though, and a couple of my friends were super happy with theirs... enough that they'd recommended them to me.

These days I have three types of outdoorsy shoes:
-Mephisto Allrounder Rake-Off (RAKE OFF-TEX). It's like wearing a glove. Super comfy. They've lasted ~3 years a pop or so, but I wear them quite extensively for most non-strenuous stuff (including walking around the city).
-Chiruca boots. I alternate between the Somiedo and Xacobeo models, because the fit is not always exactly the same over the years, and sometimes when the current pair needs replacing I have to get one of the other models
(yes, I'm very picky with shoes ). Chiruca-SOMIEDO 12 GORE-TEX - Chiruca, Chiruca-XACOBEO 05 GORE-TEX - Chiruca. They've served me and my dad very well for about 15 years now (longer for my parents). I basically wear nothing else throughout winter (except at work), and these things easily last 3 full winters before the sealing starts being compromised. I'd wager I put 3-4000 km on each pair. Super comfy for roughish terrain hiking, IMO, and leather breaks in very nicely...
-Asic running shoes. I've been using a pair of Gel Pulse 7 trainers that have performed admirably (although I'll be replacing them this summer... the outer cover looks like it's gone to war ). I'm heavy so I need well-cushioned trainers or my knees get blasted. Can't recommend these enough.

As you can see I'm all for durability and comfort ... I firmly believe that with shoes the price tag is the last thing I should look at. I also got a second pair of Quechua (Decathlon brand) boots that I got to have a backup pair for the US road trip, and my feet have never agreed to them despite the tryout at the store being alright. Definitely not worth the 60€ saved, at all.
Go to Zappos easy way apply as VIP
Receive free in 1-2 day return even after one year
Even used
Also Fanny they offer even different size for one boot and another size to make pair
My friend told me about his one foot was more wider after reconstruction surgery
05-26-2021, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a pair of Keen hiking shoes that I am pretty happy with. Three years old now.
05-26-2021, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
Thanks for the input! I appreciate it. I'm leaning more and more towards the Salomon brand.
If that's the case, you might think about checking out REI's sale they've got going now. Several Salomons 25% off. I may or may not have just purchased another pair

05-26-2021, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

My work boots are Red Wings and they are very comfortable and I have hiked in them although they are just too heavy for all day hikes in the mountains. I have had a pair of LL Bean hikers for several years and they have held up well but are now past their prime. They are very light and waterproof and also discontinued so I'm shopping for something new myself. I'm leaning towards a pair of Keens. I have wide feet and it's difficult to find a good hiking boot. I tried a pair of Merrill Moabs and they turned out to be one of the most uncomfortable boots I ever owned and I donated them to a homeless shelter after a couple of months.
05-26-2021, 05:52 PM - 3 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fit is vastly more important than brand. Try lots and go for what fits.

The Merrell range works perfectly for me. I prefer their lighter "barefoot" style shoes over their stiffer hiking boots though - even for quite rough tracks.
05-26-2021, 05:53 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cooks333 Quote
If that's the case, you might think about checking out REI's sale they've got going now. Several Salomons 25% off. I may or may not have just purchased another pair
I did see them! Same price on Amazon, as it turns out.
05-26-2021, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

My favourite hiking boots, are my New Balance 1569 boots with a caveat.

One thing I don't like about them is the lousy, thin sole NB put on them. Wears fast, also didn't seem to keep attached very well to the body of the shoe.

So why are they my favourite ? I had the sole changed out to Vibram.

I took them to a very good shoemaker, who changed he soles to Vibram brand, with a very good, thick, excellent traction, well wearing sole. What a difference. Sometimes customization can really improve a product.
05-27-2021, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Fit is vastly more important than brand. Try lots and go for what fits.
Indeed!
If it doesn't feel like you could go to hell and back with that pair, *don't buy it*. At this point, I buy another pair of what I know fits when my current pair is done for (as long as it's still available/hasn't changed etc.).

---------- Post added 05-27-21 at 01:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I have wide feet and it's difficult to find a good hiking boot. I tried a pair of Merrill Moabs and they turned out to be one of the most uncomfortable boots I ever owned and I donated them to a homeless shelter after a couple of months.
I feel you, hah. My feet are brick-shaped: wide and high, so lots of models squeeze me up top. Not the first time I go through trying a dozen pairs saying "nope" after two seconds.
05-27-2021, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I feel you, hah. My feet are brick-shaped: wide and high, so lots of models squeeze me up top. Not the first time I go through trying a dozen pairs saying "nope" after two seconds.
My issues have been made even worse due to surgeries on both feet to remove arthritis and bone spurs. My right foot is held together with hardware. The biggest problem is a shoe or boot will seem to fit fine only to become a torture device a few hours later. When a proper shoe or boot isn't required, I spend my days in Crocs or in Keen sandals with the closed toe.
05-27-2021, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
My work boots are Red Wings and they are very comfortable and I have hiked in them although they are just too heavy for all day hikes in the mountains. I have had a pair of LL Bean hikers for several years and they have held up well but are now past their prime. They are very light and waterproof and also discontinued so I'm shopping for something new myself. I'm leaning towards a pair of Keens. I have wide feet and it's difficult to find a good hiking boot. I tried a pair of Merrill Moabs and they turned out to be one of the most uncomfortable boots I ever owned and I donated them to a homeless shelter after a couple of months.
Oh yeah. I have to wear steel toes at work. That need was how I discovered Redwings in the first place, as after much trying on of shoes I found their boots to be the most comfortable.
The Irish Setters that I bought for my days off shoes are full leather uppers, I'm not sure what the soles are made of, some sort of artificial material, but they are very comfortable, and no heavier than a pair of Nike cross trainers.
And they are waterproof, which is very nice indeed.
05-28-2021, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Oh yeah. I have to wear steel toes at work. That need was how I discovered Redwings in the first place, as after much trying on of shoes I found their boots to be the most comfortable.
The Irish Setters that I bought for my days off shoes are full leather uppers, I'm not sure what the soles are made of, some sort of artificial material, but they are very comfortable, and no heavier than a pair of Nike cross trainers.
And they are waterproof, which is very nice indeed.
My current work Red Wings have an aluminum safety toe which makes them slightly lighter. The are a hiking boot style and very comfortable to wear all day. I have been going back to this same boot for 8 years. They make this boot is several versions and I go for the one with the Vibram sole. They wear much better than Red Wing's own sole but it also makes them heavier. This boot is available with steel toe, aluminum toe, or composite toe, smooth leather or rough leather, Red Wing's oil resistant sole or a Vibram sole and range in price form $169 to $249. Due to current supply chain issues, our local store is very short on stock and some can't even be ordered which is why I'm considering a pair of Keen hikers.

My winter pac boots are Irish Setters. I have never had cold feet even after 7-8 hours on the ice shooting motorcycle ice races. Shopping for Red Wings can be a little overwhelming for the first time as there are so many boots and styles to choose from. Hopefully, they will be getting production back up.